Should I get a sharer for my horse?

hippiechick

littlemill-liveries.co.uk
I have fabulous17.2hh thoroughbred 8yro who is ready to start novice eventing but I have a full time job and not enough time for him. My husband thinks I should get a sharer but I have never done this before & am nervous about it.
I want my horse to fulfill his potential as he has loads and don't want to hold him back but can't bear the thought of handing him over!!
Am I just being daft?? Has anyone done this successfully?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
confused.gif

scrumpygus

Visit site
Hi i have a superstar eventer and i have a loaner 2 days a week for him. I was sooo nervous about getting someone and i really didnt want a cock sure rider seeing what they they could do with him and ruining him cause he is the most honest horse ever - anyway i had the nicest lady come down about 40years old lightweight who now rides him twice a week for a little stroll around the fields and roads etc and spends the rest of her time brushing him and generally telling everyone how much she loves him and how lucky she is to be riding him! How nice! so it really has worked out amazingly well for me and the bit of time i now get off is fantastic. I definately wouldnt have someone who wanted to compete or do anything more than that cause i already do alot myself and it wouldnt have been fair on him. Just dont rush in to anything and make sure u have it on a months trial to start with.

Cliqmo

Visit site
Perhaps look up some local eventers and find out if any of them are looking for rides? If they have spare time through a horse injury they might be willing to do it for free? It would mean your boy can still go out partying without your truly having to share him
smile.gif

tasel

Visit site
To be honest, I would just go for a sharer like <font color="blue"> sandg1 </font> above has. I never understood this whole "fulfilling his/her potential" malarky. It's not like horses grow up and think: "I wanna go to the Olympics when I grow up."

There are a lot of horses out there who from a human's perspective have a lot of potential - but do they really have to fulfill that potential that humans inflict on them or is it more about tthe human's ambition?

I think a horse would just be as happy just to be ridden around a field, do a bit of jumping/dressage here and there. Also, it prevents a recurring problem... often, if left in the hands of ultra-competitive sharers, a horse will get very fit, and often too hot to handle for the original owner. Then, all of a sudden, you will hear things from certain mean-minded people such as: "That horse is too good for you!" or "That's a competition horse, you shouldn't be riding it!" or even worse "Great horse, shame about the rider!"

Unless you are a competition rider yourself or plan to sell on your horse to one, I wouldn't do it. I would rather pick someone as sharer who can school my horse... and basically do the same things as I would do. No one too ambitious...

ladyearl

vvv
I'm on the sharer side of the fence. Really enjoy my share horse and more than happy to do as owner wants i.e. hacking and a bit of schooling or ride in a lesson. Anything else by discussion only. Key is to be very clear about your aims for the horse and exactly what you want sharer to do (or not!!). As long as your sharer matches your needs then it should be fine. I'm sure you'll find someone happy not to compete etc.