Should I get my working cocker .....

Boxers

Visit site
Should I get him trimmed now that the shooting season is over?

He will be 2 yrs old in a few weeks time. He's never been trimmed or clipped before, but his trousers, backs of front legs, and ears are rather scruffy.

Not had a working dog before, so not sure if it's the 'done thing' or not. He does live in the house, not outside.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Mine generally get done at the start of the season. They look a bit odd to start with, but they'll never get to Crufts, so does it matter? :)

The problem with heavily coated ears and back ends, is that it only takes a tiny burr to go unnoticed, and in no time at all, it's a matted and tangled mess.

Alec.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Go for it - save yourself the hassle of deciding later in the spring and summer when everyone else wants their dog done too - of having to wait for weeks or months.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I wish I'd never clipped my springer: his fur has never been the same. I use a Mars stripping knife on the youngsters, I won't be clipping them. If you're going to keep up a full clip, then go for it.

deb_l222

Visit site
I do a smoke and mirrors trim on one of my springers. To look at her she's all feathery and got a lovely coat but most of the feather (front and back legs) is thinned out. I fully clip out the inside of her back legs and take a strip of her tummy - basically the bits you can't see. The rest of her coat I leave well enough alone as it's lovely.

The other two, on the other hand, get fully clipped out every couple of months or so.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I wish I'd never clipped my springer: his fur has never been the same. I use a Mars stripping knife on the youngsters, I won't be clipping them. If you're going to keep up a full clip, then go for it.

I'd assumed OP meant tidy the feathers, not shave it down.

But yes, you do run the risk of having the coat come back fluffy -but working cockers often do have more resilient coats than springers.

OP, ask your groomer if they do handstripping. :)

Boxers

Visit site
Yes, I meant a tidy up, not full body clipped. He has a lovely silky coat and I don't want to lose that.

I like the sound of deb_1222's smoke and mirrors trim!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Yes, I meant a tidy up, not full body clipped. He has a lovely silky coat and I don't want to lose that.

I like the sound of deb_1222's smoke and mirrors trim!

I do a lot of those type of trims (I call it shelling out or making a false skirt).

However, they tend to be great on dog which are broad - if your dog is a narrow beast it might not look quite as good, because there's not much room to remove that hair. But at very least a good clipping out of the groin is essential ;))

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Oh, if it's just feathers, I confess I'm there with the kitchen scissors! Bear's tail is ridiculous! I just make him stand while I shape it and cut close to the skin when I can no longer bear it!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Handstrip! I'm learning how to do it on a show cocker at the moment and though it's an arduous job it gives a much more natural finish than clipping.

You take a pinch of coat between first finger and thumb, sort of rub your thumb along it to fan it out and then use finger and thumb on other hand to pluck/strip at the ginger ends that protrude beyond the good dark coat. Repeat ad nauseum.

druid

Visit site
Mine are hand stripped, I specifically found a groomer who excels at it (she breeds a wire coated terrier breed which are only hand stripped so is a dab hand at it!)