Should I give it a go?

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Hello, first time posting in the hunting bit!

My friend at the yard went hunting last weekend for the first time in ages and totally re-caught the bug. She wants me to come along too, and has suggested I go on the New Years day one.

My horse is great, but between us we are not always the most confident pair. We can confidently jump logs, post and rail etc, I would say no problem upto 2'3", and have jumped upto about 2'9" - 3'0" but not so reliably or confidently at that height. Love bombing around farm rides like Somerford, Crosby Chasers, Church Farm (all in the North West area if anyone is wondering!) but we do the smaller option jumps. Looked at pictures on the website of the hunt (Cheshire Farmers) and all the jumps look huge and scary!

The hunt is all jumps optional, but I think if I went I would like to have a go at some of the jumps at least!

Lots of silly worries (about falling off, not being a good enough rider, losing control, breaking myself/the horse etc!)

Opinions/advice anyone? Am I being silly or am I right to be cautious? Anything I can do to prepare me and the neddy if we do go?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

MissySmythe

Visit site
You have a friend to go with, so yes, give it a go.
Are there any pre-hunting courses you could go on nearby to give you confidence?
There are always ways round if you don't want to jump....but I get the feeling you do rather want to? In that case a bit of confidence would do the trick?

JenHunt

Visit site
get in contact with the hunt secretary, I'm sure they can recommend a good day for your first one - I can pretty much garantee you'd have a better day another time big days like the opening meet, boxing day and new years day tend to be quite chaotic, whereas a quieter day mid-season would be a good introduction for you and your horse.

Make sure you're both as fit as you can get in the time between now and then, have a few cross country lessons if you can to help with your confidence, then go out and enjoy it!

and don't forget to tell us all about it! ;)

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Thank you both for your helpful replies. I shall work on getting him jumping a bit more reliably (lessons!) and try to get out to a few things to confidence build. Got tanked off with at Kelsall today so now worrying I will lose control horribly and end up in the next county!

QassiaDeTouzaine

Visit site
Definitely give it a go- I started a couple of years ago and caught the bug, and both mine and my pony's confidence has grown so much. I found it helped me bond with my horses and learn from them far better than any schooling session or lesson did!! As for the jumping, until you are entirely confident there are usually gate options- just check the best day to go with the secretary first! Happy hunting

cobgirlie

Visit site
Go for it. I've only started hunting this year and LOVE it!!!! I don't jump at all (well unless I see one very little one) and it doesn't take away any of the fun. I can and do jump in XC and SJing but because I'm not 100% confident I just say I'm not jumping while hunting then I know I can relax and enjoy the running riot! :D

Our hunt always has non jumping options and quiet alot of the field don't jump so there's absolutely nothing wrong with not doing it. Go you will not regret it!!!:D