Should i go for it?

bubbledreamer

Visit site
Hello,
I have always been interested in taking my ponies to shows and i used to go with my little Newforest, however he has now retired. I have a 14.2 cob who i would really like to do a bit of dressage with , the only thing is hes really insecure. Hes ok hacking out alone a bit more jumpy than with another horse so i dont no how he would react to a show with loads of other horses, and a different enviroment. As far as i no he has never been to one in his life. Does any one have any tips or advice? Thankyou!

dieseldog

Visit site
Why don't you join your local riding club and go and do the group lessons? Thats what I did when I had a horse that was a bit stressed in group situations and at least you would have an hour to work on it and not just 3 mins in a test. Really helped mine.

Irishcobs

Visit site
My youngish cob had never been to a show before so last year I took him in hand and did in hand cob and in hand coloured class. Having him in hand made him more secure as he is a big mummies boy and could hide behind me when he got scared. He is a rescue horse and finds lots of other horses around scary.
I will be doing the same this year and towards the end ride him round in the warm up ring just to get him used to it with out the pressure of having to show ridden.

Maybe start out doing in hand with your cob until he is happy being in the show environment with other horses.