Should i go into racing, what is it like?

DancingJester

Visit site
Sorry if this is the wrong bit to put it in but has anyone had experience working at a racing yard, i'm thinking of going to the British racing school when I'm 19 and i want to get some work before then (even if its unpaid) i love the look of being a stable staff or work rider then working my way up and wanted to hear from some people with a bit of experience, because the people I've spoken too (tho they dont have much experience with tbs) have said i shouldn't do it because its not a nice place to work. but to me irt looks absolutely amazing, despite no money and 5am starts. what do you think?

Doormouse

Visit site
It looks alot more glamorous than it actually is! The bit you see on the television is only one small part of it. You need to be pretty tough to work in a racing yard, there is an atmosphere of pressure that can be great fun but if you are a nervous person can be hard to deal with. You will ride alot of different horses, some are lovely and some will be horrid, you must be ready to fall off and get back on especially if you work in flat racing.

It can be enormous fun and very satisfying when one of your horses that you do wins and going racing is great but you do need to find a nice yard to work in, preferably a good yard that is having winners and you do need to be confident and brave.

If you do go for it, good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

superpony

Visit site
It is one of the best paid and working conditions in terms of the horsey world. As sugarmouse said it can be an environment with lots of pressure and theres plenty of banter.. so you need to have a sense of humour! As long as you are brave on the ground and riding you should be fine. Depending where you are in the country theres also the Northern Racing College in Doncaster.

How old are you now and what area are you in?

Optimissteeq

Visit site
Sorry if this is the wrong bit to put it in but has anyone had experience working at a racing yard, i'm thinking of going to the British racing school when I'm 19 and i want to get some work before then (even if its unpaid) i love the look of being a stable staff or work rider then working my way up and wanted to hear from some people with a bit of experience, because the people I've spoken too (tho they dont have much experience with tbs) have said i shouldn't do it because its not a nice place to work. but to me irt looks absolutely amazing, despite no money and 5am starts. what do you think?

Hi, as others have said on here already, you need to be tough. The bit that caught my eye in your post was the bit about 'working my way up' and I wondered what you had in mind? Jockey? Trainer? Head Groom? To make it as a race jockey you will need to be incredibly fit and dedicated and have a thick skin. Likewise, getting into training isn't easy at all, and is often heartbreaking. However, you seem to have the right attitude to want to work in a racing yard - i.e. in it for the love of it, rather than the money. If you do have a passion for horses, and can be confident around them, it can be very rewarding. It is hard work as others have said - the chances are that you'll never be rich ;) but if that's not a primary concern then go for it. It's better to have tried it than always be wondering 'what if'.
Good luck!

Thistle

Visit site
There is a pretty high chance of getting injured. A young friend who was a rider for a yard is now permenantely paralysed from the chest down following a training fall this summer. Happens more often than you get to hear about.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Go to college and do the course, if you like it get into a yard and take it from there, it's much better to try it and decide its not for you than wonder what if! I love/d racing but sadly it wouldn't pay my bills and I wanted to have a bit more than a life revolving around horses.

DancingJester

Visit site
I'm 18 now but i'm taking a gap year (or more like gap 6 months) to recover from a knee surgery and i'm an equine student at college atm, so I'm hoping to go to the racing school some point between January and June 2015. Tho i want work experience before then, i live in Birmingham.

DancingJester

Visit site
Well i was thinking training (or assistant trainer) although i would to be head girl somewhere.I
would also love to move to Australia to do it over there for a year if or when i've done my training in England. I
looked into the northern school but unfortunately i dont qualify because i have already done a lvl 2 qualification in equine studies and am on my lvl 3 now.

Last edited:

DancingJester

Visit site
Yeah i am aware, in fact the person who got me into it is a jockey who had just broken her back, although she can walk and will be back riding soon.

DancingJester

Visit site
Thanks that was helpful. Everyone thinks it strange but the pressured atmosphere is one of the things that attracts me, i found it so boring working at a riding school, i wanted a change.

The wife

Visit site
It is probably one of the most rewarding and heartbreaking jobs in the equestrian sector. I loved every second of it but be warned racing yards are absolutely NOTHING like college... I had learnt by 2nd lot on my 1st day that you do not get 20minutes to tack up, 7 minutes at a push and quarter sheets cover the loins not the whole bottom. Learn how to locate a smaller girth quickly. Have a very thick skin and by this I mean have the joker of the lads call you every name under the sun and in which order they would like to do post midnight activities with you, be able to smile sweetly back and come back with a lightning fast retaliation usually about the size of the talk is a complete opposite to size of tackle etc. the horses are also nothing like college animals. College animals are chosen to be saints in comparison to the normal racehorse, although occasionally sharp they are picked so to reduce the chances of a parent suing the college for damaging their children. If you are a girl 'working your way to the top' will be 10x harder I'm afraid. Trainers generally will choose a good lad over a fantastic lass any day, although they are getting better at equal rights, many are still old fashioned in their views on female jockeys, more so in the NH world than flat and you really will have to show a stroke of genius to be put up and not sulk when it's a no hoper in a sellers at 8.45 in Wolverhampton.

As far as pay goes it is indeed one of the better paid jobs with horses, however it isn't fantastic, unless you are on a big yard with excellent pool money.

Listen, learn and listen some more. :) enjoy it and love every second.

druid

Visit site
I work in racing/bloodstock and love every minute of it. I do have an odd job that isn't run of the mill though. The yard staff do seem to enjoy it for the most part but it can be dangerous - we had two surgery requiring fractures courtesy of a pheasant and some yearlings a few weeks ago :(

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
It is one of the hardest jobs I've ever had in terms of hard graft but by far the most fun... If you find the right yard, you don't mind hard work and can take the ups and downs it can be brilliant! Had to give it up to earn a living though!

Joss

Visit site
Try it is my advice. You are exactly the right age for it. I worked in racing from 18 to 28 & absolutely loved it. Started off as Trainers secretary & ended up as Assistant trainer. If you can ride (normal horses) reasonably well don't bother with Racing School. So rude I know & things may have improved but we could always tell Racing school lads who swung off the horses mouths & put exercise sheets on covering their tails!
Ring up a local trainer & offer to ride out. An awful lot of the mid range trainers are always short staffed. You will learn as you go along - not many jobs where you get a major adrenaline rush most mornings.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
There is a pretty high chance of getting injured. A young friend who was a rider for a yard is now permenantely paralysed from the chest down following a training fall this summer. Happens more often than you get to hear about.
I don't know anybody who got seriously injured, good yards will look after their staff, H&S much stricter than in R.S.
Yes awful things happen but they do in all walks of life. Yes you need a bit of bottle, and a few can't take it.
It is not like anything else, if you work in a really big racing yard at H.Q. you may just be a number, but there are plenty of opportunities in small to medium size yards.
The video clip on BRC website is realistic, it is hard work and not glamorous.
You start off in the yard and you may work up to being a work rider if you are good enough, there are not many top class work riders and they are in great demand.
Other jobs like racing secretary often combine office work and riding out.
Be aware that the standard of riding expected is quite high and there are other skills you have to learn.
There are qualities that you need if you want a career as distinct from a nice job working with horses for a few years: determination, team spirit, attention to detail, dedication, hard work, personality, the usual requirements, but more of them.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
It is one of the hardest jobs I've ever had in terms of hard graft but by far the most fun... If you find the right yard, you don't mind hard work and can take the ups and downs it can be brilliant! Had to give it up to earn a living though!
You see, I don't understand that, OK, I was on a senior lads wages, but I had free accommodation and basic food, heating was £8 per year [I think that was a mistake!].
Travelled all over the country [£10.00 inhand expenses] met loads of great people. Every night down the pub, black tie dances, always some celebration somewhere.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Well i was thinking training (or assistant trainer) although i would to be head girl somewhere.I
would also love to move to Australia to do it over there for a year if or when i've done my training in England. I
looked into the northern school but unfortunately i dont qualify because i have already done a lvl 2 qualification in equine studies and am on my lvl 3 now.
I think you have about one in ten thousand chance of becoming a trainer in the UK, unless you just happen to be the daughter of one who is willing to give you a chance
Nowadays they do a lot of PR stuff, it is the head lad / assistant trainer and so on down the line who do the day to day stuff.
The trainer has to know about everything, generally they have a background in racing or show jumping or eventing, something competitive and at a high level. There 's race entries, bloodstock, H&S, jockey Club rules, HRA, H.R, it goes on and on.
They need a backer or a lot of cash and quite a few owners and references [and do training courses], before they are given a licence, it is not just a matter of working your way up, and the prize will be yours.
Last yard I was at, the trainer said to me one day, I wish I was in your position, just four to do and riding out three nice horses every morning.......

Last edited:

DancingJester

Visit site
It is probably one of the most rewarding and heartbreaking jobs in the equestrian sector. I loved every second of it but be warned racing yards are absolutely NOTHING like college... I had learnt by 2nd lot on my 1st day that you do not get 20minutes to tack up, 7 minutes at a push and quarter sheets cover the loins not the whole bottom. Learn how to locate a smaller girth quickly. Have a very thick skin and by this I mean have the joker of the lads call you every name under the sun and in which order they would like to do post midnight activities with you, be able to smile sweetly back and come back with a lightning fast retaliation usually about the size of the talk is a complete opposite to size of tackle etc. the horses are also nothing like college animals. College animals are chosen to be saints in comparison to the normal racehorse, although occasionally sharp they are picked so to reduce the chances of a parent suing the college for damaging their children. If you are a girl 'working your way to the top' will be 10x harder I'm afraid. Trainers generally will choose a good lad over a fantastic lass any day, although they are getting better at equal rights, many are still old fashioned in their views on female jockeys, more so in the NH world than flat and you really will have to show a stroke of genius to be put up and not sulk when it's a no hoper in a sellers at 8.45 in Wolverhampton.

As far as pay goes it is indeed one of the better paid jobs with horses, however it isn't fantastic, unless you are on a big yard with excellent pool money.

Listen, learn and listen some more. :) enjoy it and love every second.

Oh dont worry i'm not used to riding calm horses, i have a sports horse 17hh hunter and the first tb ex race horse i rode was when i was 13 and the only reason i didn't buy it was because my mum thought it was too dangerous (looking back admittedly it did buck me off lol)
Sounds amazing tho, and i want a change from eventing.
Thanks for the response, really helpful

Mike007

Visit site
A post I can agree on.:) Yes accidents can happen ,but they are ,I suspect ,far rarer than in other comparable equestrian sports. There is nothing quite like it.

DancingJester

Visit site
Try it is my advice. You are exactly the right age for it. I worked in racing from 18 to 28 & absolutely loved it. Started off as Trainers secretary & ended up as Assistant trainer. If you can ride (normal horses) reasonably well don't bother with Racing School. So rude I know & things may have improved but we could always tell Racing school lads who swung off the horses mouths & put exercise sheets on covering their tails!
Ring up a local trainer & offer to ride out. An awful lot of the mid range trainers are always short staffed. You will learn as you go along - not many jobs where you get a major adrenaline rush most mornings.

Well i've been riding for 12 years (13 when i start work properly) and have done show jumping and eventing in the past. Disaster struck with my last jumper which cant jump any more so i had a 2 year break (from competing) and I've decided i want a change. Will trainers be wiling if I've done this but not had any experience with racing TBs?

Mike007

Visit site
Take what you know already about riding and tuck it away somewhere , realise that riding a racehorse involves a different "skill set". Your ability to showjump/event ,to a trainer,only means that you have the ability to learn to ride a racehorse,and that you will in all likelyhood survive your first encounter with said beastie(provided he is a bit on the quiet side). Listen and learn, the folk around you arent "riding instructors" and they may not explain things well ,but dont for a moment disregard what they are saying!The older lads are in this job for the long haul ,and they have survived !They know a thing or two,even if it isnt in the ponyclub manual.I still think its the best job in the world.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Well i've been riding for 12 years (13 when i start work properly) and have done show jumping and eventing in the past. Disaster struck with my last jumper which cant jump any more so i had a 2 year break (from competing) and I've decided i want a change. Will trainers be wiling if I've done this but not had any experience with racing TBs?
They start you off on the quiet ones and then you progress till you get the feel of it, then you get given younger ones that you have to bring along. Most days it is cantering [which is not slow] but twice a week they get galloped , known as "work", this is where you get put back on the schoolmasters again.
There are two rules, don't overtake people when cantering, and follow the trainers instructions.
You have to learn the terms and the paces, half speed, steady, whatever , i can't remember now!
They won't put you on something that is going to take off, but some of them "take a hold" which makes you feel as though they are really strong and in control, but it is just their style.
Sometimes hints about how to ride a horse can be ambiguous, the asst trainer told me "watch her head", by which I assumed he meant don't hold tight in case she rears at the bottom of the gallops, so I gave her plenty of rein, she put her head down, and dumped me........... she got so good at this she dropped me twice in one day, I was really pi**ed off!
Oh and don't turn up with a riding crop of any sort, or a velvet hat!
Best NOT to have all completely new stuff.
Oh re not overtaking when cantering, do not clip heels of a horse in front as it is dangerous, and don't go alongside unless agreed, as this can make them go in to "race mode"

Last edited:

Optimissteeq

Visit site
You should be fine, as I think Mike007 has said though, put what you currently know about riding to one side and be prepared to listen/learn. Before I did my stint in a racing yard (I still ride out now), I used to ride TB eventers, racers are so much faster! The main differences for me were the length of your stirrups when riding, and 'changing hands' when racing (i.e. you hold the reins differently to normal riding). Don't expect to be great at it initially just because you can ride, you may be a natural or you might just have to work at it like most of us :)
Go for it and enjoy it, you'll only wish you had if you don't!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes, don't' Change Hands unless you want to go faster!
They show you how to bridge the reins, so you are holding both in each hand, sitting lightly on either side of the neck/withers, sit quietly, and breath evenly when things are getting exciting!
Have a look at good riders in the yard, they will have "good hands", you can learn this, and also "horsemanship", you need good balance and strength in your legs, this will develop.
Length of stirrup, yes, ask someone when you are getting ready to go up the gallops, also ask them if the saddle is sitting OK, and also if the girth is loose if you are in any doubt, always tighten the girth before you leave the yard anyway.
I see a lot of girls riding too short, they think they are jockeys, and they always end up in hospital, having been jet propelled, but just before you go on the gallops you may need to shorten one or two holes, in order to improve your balance, you may need to be able to use your bodyweight to control the speed.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
You can go into any bookies and watch racing for free! The commentator will use plenty of expressions used in racing, and the Racing post is worth a read, jobs are in Classified Section on a Thursday [I think]
This is the the National Hunt season: the horses jump over hurdles or over fences, and also on the flat aka bumpers, in UK most horse start in bumpers, a bit safer than hurling a 500Kg horse over an obstacle at 35 mph to see how things work out!!!
Though there is "all weather racing", it is only a bit more exciting than "the dogs" from Romford.
The Racing Post website gives a snapshot of all things sport..........

simplyhunting

Visit site
I went from event yards to racing. And it's the best move I ever made- I love it. As others have said be prepared to work twice as hard being a lass, get a lot of stick from the lads, and forget everything you know, as it's a completely different style. Took a while to get the hang of it , even having gone from galloping adv. event horses it's a different world and a bit like learning to ride again. It's not without it's spills! Been decked a few times, and close to on a few others! But the feeling you get when sat on a good horse that's just cruising up the gallop is worth it :) even if it is a bit chilly this time of year.... Cold hands this morning!

TarrSteps

Visit site
The only thing you can do is try and see if it's for you. I love riding out but a life in racing has never been for even when I was young. That said, many of my friends love it - one has just been promoted to AT in a small operation, having started on the yard as a teenager and another has built up her own small string after a few years on a big yard, specialising in taking on cast offs - her last one cost 1.5k and won +80k!

I think it's a life you either love or you don't. I will say, if it doesn't grab you right away it's probably not going to, but many people find it addictive!

marley and danni

Visit site
sorry to hijack this post its extreamly interesting! i own an exracehorse. hes great .

i am very interest in racing, not to work in it but finding out how it all works behind the scenes is fascinating...

i have one questions... my exracer is fab i have reschooled him ect and he showjumps and hunts.... thing is he was great to hunt the forst 6 times but 7th time he took hold... didnt feel out of control but didnt feel like i was going to stop untill he felt ready and i know theres no point in pulling tugging sawing all otherthings some people tell you to do so i sat there quietly hand on withers lenghtend reins etc and turned into another field.....

am i right to do this he goes into race mode occasionally when alongside other horses hunting.... msot of the times hes a gent but occasionally... im just not sure what to do im hunting boxing day we havnt been out in 2 months due to an injury so im a little apprehensive...

advice from you racing folk appreciated!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
sorry to hijack this post its extreamly interesting! i own an exracehorse. hes great .

i am very interest in racing, not to work in it but finding out how it all works behind the scenes is fascinating...

i have one questions... my exracer is fab i have reschooled him ect and he showjumps and hunts.... thing is he was great to hunt the forst 6 times but 7th time he took hold... didnt feel out of control but didnt feel like i was going to stop untill he felt ready and i know theres no point in pulling tugging sawing all otherthings some people tell you to do so i sat there quietly hand on withers lenghtend reins etc and turned into another field.....

am i right to do this he goes into race mode occasionally when alongside other horses hunting.... msot of the times hes a gent but occasionally... im just not sure what to do im hunting boxing day we havnt been out in 2 months due to an injury so im a little apprehensive...

advice from you racing folk appreciated!
The racehorse is trained to go faster when the rider "changes hands", he does not expect you to panic at any time, but to stay on board, and when you drop your hands [loosen your grip, let the reins go loose-ish] he will slow down and stop, but obviously he needs to have a bit of freedom as life can be exciting! you can't have been going very fast if you could turn in to another field, so I think you could have "pulled him up" . difficult to explain cos you have to adjust for each horse, essentially you are "standing up in the stirrups", watch a few jockeys at the end of a race after the winning post.

Last edited: