Should I go it alone?

nedzy

Visit site
Will try to keep this short - horse currently on full livery ( I work full time+commute), really miss him, just relocated and have DIY yard very close to home...
Should I move him onto DIY yard?
Pros - he will be nearer to home and I will have more time to spend with him
we will have chance to build back our relationship which has become a bit distant on full livery
I can look after him as I want to
Loads of hacking and friendly people to get to know which I also miss
24/7/365 turnout if required against limited in current yard
I had 3 horses on DIY a few years ago and I managed then albeit with some help now and again

Cons - he is used to full livery routine and he would not be going out/coming in with others if I was doing him, could unsettle him and he might become a pain to others
it's coming up to winter...the toughest time
yard is completely DIY and I don;t know anyone yet so there would be no support if I needed help
stables are not so good and school gets puddles when wet but as I ride practically zero now thats not really such a problem!

My non horsey partner is concerned that I won't cope and I know that as soon as I am late from work and fall over in mud in dark or something equally as hilarious he will be doing the 'i told you so' dance!

I don't want to let horsey down my upsetting him by moving and then not be able to manage him.but it would be so good to have my horse back.

Toast

Visit site
I would go DIY if i was in your position. I enjoy the nitty gritty jobs that are involved in looking after my horses! And if you are missing your boy then i would reconsider his arrangements. He'll get used to the routine and you'll get more time with your boy :)
You'll save some money too ;)

I See Clover

Visit site
Could you not ask potential YO if there is any help available (ie there's usually one livery who will provide turn out/muck out etc for a charge) or if any exisiting liveries help eachother out? Alternatively, are there any mobile grooms around your area that you could enquire about?

After looking into the above I would have a sit down and work out what you have to do each day and how long it will take. This should then suggest whether it is doable or if it will be too much for you.

Hope this helps.

nedzy

Visit site
Thanks. I think I have made up my mind anyway but was looking for a bit of support. I just feel I have lost touch with him and been looking for ways to improve things for a while. As you say I'm sure I will find someone who will help me out. Feeling much better about it now!

noblesteed

Visit site
You will be ok at the new yard I should think, it's a bit upheaval though and very daunting.
I just moved mine from a private yard with only one other horse to be closer to home, losing my sharer in the process, just in time for the new place to start bringing in at night. It was stressful, upsetting and difficult but something I had to do, I have a young baby and can't manage a 40-50 minute round trip to get to the horse, leaving me with no time to ride, and I was fed up of being tutted at by the other people at the yard...
This has been our first week at the new place and I have already found people are willing to bring my horse in for me one day if I bring theirs in the next. So it has been surprisingly easy, a lot easier than I had expected. I am enjoying having my horse back and also not having people peering over my shoulder all the time!!! I am sure after a very short time you will find people who will welcome a bit of help and will return the favour. I think wherever you have lots of working people on a yard there tends to be a lot of helping each other out. It's where there are people who DON'T work that you run into problems.

nedzy

Visit site
I'm glad to hear that your move has worked out. I'm sure you are right about the people. I'll get and order some straw etc now!! Quite excited!

Louby

Visit site
Ive recently moved from small private DIY with help so all horses put out at same time, brought in if needed at same time, fed at same time etc to DIY with loads more going on, not as good facilities but each to their own, people helping each other so horses coming and going at different times and Ive loved it but my horse has took time to adjust. I actually moved to give him a life as he was on his own in the field and I felt really mean. He did become clingy and banged to go out when others went out etc etc. All horse get fed together in the morning as the first person there feeds. My horse now seems to be finally settlin but its taken a few months and he has stressed and lost weight. The plus points are, he has company in the field and is so much happier out, I have people to ride with, he is no longer the spooky horse he was and we are starting to go out competing but he is still more stressed in the stable, I think he is maybe still a bit insecure and he wants to be with his new friends He is getting better but he was at the other yard 9 years so its been a massive change for him.
You will soon make friends Im sure, I did and Im hoping things work out.

I See Clover

Visit site
Thanks. I think I have made up my mind anyway but was looking for a bit of support. I just feel I have lost touch with him and been looking for ways to improve things for a while. As you say I'm sure I will find someone who will help me out. Feeling much better about it now!

Personally, I would go with the move too. I hope everything runs smoothly, good luck!