Should I have punished my horse?

djlynwood

Visit site
I was having a lesson this evening at our yard and my mare was working nicely. We were on a 20 meter circle at the top of the school and was out of the way of others who were schooling. We have a very big arena.

We were trotting on our circle when someone else in the school came cantering towards us and before I knew it almost crashed into us. I had my lesson head on so was concentrating on my instructor and my mare! My mare took exception to this and kicked out with both hind legs and caught the other horse on the shoulder.

The girl appoligised to me saying that she had lost control of her horse but I felt so bad that my horse had kicked out.

My instructor said that it was the girls fault.

My mare is grumpy and does like her own space. I am always careful with her when out but she has never kicked out until tonight.

I was caught off guard tonight and felt that I was too late to tell my mare off. She was working perfectly and I felt it was not our fault but should I have told her off for kicking out?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If someone ran into you and you got a fright and pushed them away would you expect to be punished?

She probably didn't see it coming. I would not have told her off.

djlynwood

Visit site
Thank you, good point. It did happen so quickly.
I was only concerned as I heatd that a horse kicking out is a sin! I was thinking of taking my mare hunting and know that kickers are not taken lightly.

Kallibear

Visit site
I would have belted her a shot but it would have needed to be instant. No point doing it 30sec later. Double barreling another horse whilst under saddle is NOT on, regardless of how close they were. It would have been a bit more acceptable if the other horse had actually crashed into yours but, by the sound of it, she was just too close. There are some things far too dangerous to allowed even if there's an explination. .

My mum had her leg smashed to bits when the horse I was riding (borrowed from a friend) lashed out at the horse she was on (my own horse). If your horse had caught the rider, rather than the horse, she could have done the exact same. Hope the other horse is ok. At least you know know she's a kicker and can take care.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I wouldn't have punnished her, no. My mare is very good about others crowding her, but had a 'moment' yesterday when she and the old girl had a bit of a do in the yard, mainly my fault, but my girl felt the need to warn her best friend! If a horse runs into yours then it is the fault of the other horse imo

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If she has never done it before and you are always careful then I don't think you can really blame yourself or her. If it had been a more planned attack in that the horse was under control but close, that would be different but you said the other horse was out of control.

Might be worth returning to the scene of the crime and having someone work near you and seeing how she behaves (obviously not close enough to kick).

djlynwood

Visit site
I did think about what if it had got the riders leg. Thats what made me think it was unaccepable but I only realised after the event.

The other horse is ok and was not lame thankfully.

RubysGold

Visit site
I wouldnt have told him off. It sounds to me like the horse scared her and she reacted instinctively to protect herself. no way would I punish for that.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I was on the receiving end of a horse kicking out at mine, it caught my leg! Fortunately it had no shoes on, it was a planned attack by the horse and I was more annoyed that the rider and her family tried to say it was my fault :eek: Given that my mare was standing still at the time I have never been able to work out how that might have been.

Jazzy B

Visit site
not your horses fault and no you shouldn't have punished her - other rider's fault, but if she wasn't in control just an unfortunate incident I think

rockysmum

Visit site
I wouldn't have, your horse was probably scared.

Our little cob did it once in similar cirumstances many years ago. She has never done it since. And she has been crowded in the show ring, kicked out at and had various packs of hound running round her feet.

If she does it again I would worry, but not a one off.

putasocinit

Visit site
no why should your mare be punished she was working well and the other horse came in to her space so she reacted as she would do naturally, just like owners react when their horse comes in to their space.

It happened leave it, tomorrow will be better.