Should I hit the panic button?

Caol Ila

Visit site
If she is in foal it was from earlier than this February.

Yeah, it would be from spring/summer 2020. If I have a BOGOF right now, I am going to crawl into a closet and never, ever come out. I really like this horse. A lot. I don't want to give her up but I cannot deal with a foal now. I just can't.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Yeah, it would be from spring/summer 2020. If I have a BOGOF right now, I am going to crawl into a closet and never, ever come out. I really like this horse. A lot. I don't want to give her up but I cannot deal with a foal now. I just can't.
I think you could send her back to stud at their cost until foal weaned if she is in foal.

Michen

Visit site

well you bought a mare that had been in with stallions so you may have to, part of owning horses I guess is the drama good and bad that comes with them. It’s not the end of the world surely, an injury of some sorts would be worse, you could send her back to stud until foal is weaned then sell it.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yeah, it would be from spring/summer 2020. If I have a BOGOF right now, I am going to crawl into a closet and never, ever come out.
Breathe.....
You cant change whatever it is, except to come off clover....
'If' you have a bogof then the breeder needs to step up and offer a solution.
IF you have to go this route, then you still can have the offspring weaned before xmas, depending on drop zone timing. She's only 3, but looks a good sort and you can then start her in the new year.

Caol Ila

Visit site
well you bought a mare that had been in with stallions so you may have to, part of owning horses I guess is the drama good and bad that comes with them. It’s not the end of the world surely, an injury of some sorts would be worse, you could send her back to stud until foal is weaned then sell it.

I mean, yeah. No sh*t. I wish I'd thought of that. I honestly do. If that had crossed my mind at the time, I wouldn't have bought the damned horse but I was clearly being an idiot and bought the horse.

Michen

Visit site
I mean, yeah. No sh*t. I wish I'd thought of that. I honestly do. If that had crossed my mind at the time, I wouldn't have bought the damned horse but I was clearly being an idiot and bought the horse.

Well it sounds like you are catastrophising somewhat (unless foal is likely to be deformed in which case I totally understand). The horse is young, you wouldn’t be doing much with her anyway so really if she pops a foal and you then sell it as soon as you can is that really so bad?

Annoying yes but much better than extended box rest or a career ending injury or one of the many, many other things that can go wrong with horses that owners have to deal with.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I was clearly being an idiot and bought the horse

No I dont think you were being an idiot, an apparently experienced breeder told you that is how she runs her herd and claims without this sort of problem of her stallions covering their own offspring.

I am assuming you do not have experience in breeding, so why would you be expected to question the seller that you assumed was knowledgeable and honest. Don't beat yourself up - its done now and hopefully, by some minor miracle she is not in foal, if she is insist breeder takes her back until the foal is at least safely delivered and ready to come off the mare.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

you aren’t being an idiot. If anything the idiot in this scenario is the breeder I mean come on ? nature much.

If she is in foal then let her have the foal, wean it and sell it. Then your mare is older and you aren’t losing any time before backing etc. Could be worse she could be four and you were looking to back her and ride her this year, you aren’t.

Get the vet, if she’s in foal then a frank chat with the stud, if No joy there do a good bit of reading up, engage someone who knows what’s what, speak to your vet about options for foaling down and go from there. A friend foaled her own horse down on our yard. Maiden mare, older than yours but foal is now four and being backed.

Freaking out won’t help anything and is clearly just making you have bad thoughts. Chase then out and reset. You aren’t a novice owner trust in your own ability

Emilieu

Visit site
It’s been a hell of a day Mrs. Stay calm. I had this scare with Betty last year (no boob action though, just big grass belly) and like you I really really didn’t want her to be in foal, so I get it. But worse things have definitely happened, and if she is then she is and it’s a problem to overcome another day- an easier other day. Thousands of people (often idiots...) overcome this issue every year. If you have to then you definitely can.

I also can’t help but feel that whether it’s a scare or a baby it’s a gift from Gypsum ? along the lines of, I don’t want mum fretting about me... I know! Something to take her mind off it...

leotom

Visit site
I don’t have the expertise to comment on in foal or not but I just wanted to say I’m sorry to read about your best friend being put to sleep, it’s never easy to deal with so be kind to yourself about Hermosa, I’m sure you’ll cope with whatever it is - clover or a plus 1.

PurBee

Visit site
Her dropped belly side pic reminds me of my pregnant mare around 8 wks before foaling - except the pic showing her gut width isnt looking that wide at all....my mare was fairly huge 8wks prior to foaling. She’s bagging up her udders but could be clover.
The dropped belly pic has me suspicious...if that was grass/hay belly - wouldnt her gut look wide aswell?

My mare had been a broodmare, consecutive foals for 8 yrs...so the dropped belly-look took about 18months after foaling to eventually ping back. Even when she has a hay/grass belly since, her gut shows much wider than her butt, but her belly never drops, so ive come to understand dropped belly is associated with pregnancy. I could be wrong...only one mare to learn from!

Fingers crossed vet can truly confirm for you.
A foal is a blessing in many ways and could end up being advantageous if you were willing...but certainly more time involvement needed so i can relate to your reaction IF she is in foal.

Palindrome

Visit site
Don't panic just yet, get the vet first.
Then if she is in foal, contact the breeder, they might want the foal and keep your mare until the foal is weaned at no cost to you. They also can probably do the necessary paperwork so the foal is registered.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
God Almighty CI, I hope this is just clover but I suspect not. On the plus side it will be a valuable foal is it is one. Keep calm and Carry on!

Is line breeding sought after in PREs then?

ETA - no point panicking anyway OP, you can't change it, just enjoy the foal. Foal watching is a hobby in itself. :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is line breeding sought after in PREs then?

I was trying to reassure an upset poster.

If it's good it's good and if it's not there is no point worrying about it, what's done is done.

There is no issue with line breeding IF there are no genetic issues from it, and it's far far from given that there will be.

Last edited:

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I was trying to reassue an upset poster.

If it's good it's good and if it's not there is no point worrying about it, what's done is done.

There is no issue with line breeding IF there are no genetic issues from it, and it's far far from given that there will be.

Ah - you threw me by suggesting it would be particularly valuable - and I have a secret belief that PRE breeders are bat excrement crazy from my experience with 'em :p.
Not suggesting Caol Ila is due to the unintentional nature of her first go at breeding foals!

It'll be fine. It'll be a foal. It'll cost lots of time and money. That's what horses of all ages do. :D

Palindrome

Visit site
It's likely the foal will be fine (if the mare is indeed in foal) and the mare is young so there are less risks than with an older mare.
I so want another foal, mine is turning 4 next month.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
So sorry to hear about Gypsum. I don't post much but have been here years so have followed your various trials with her. I lost my old girl I'd had 24 years a couple of months ago so can understand how hard it is. The filly looks very suspicious to me. One give away is if the belly sits more to one side than the other when viewed from behind, when just fat is usually uniform each side. The vet will confirm for you either way though. Just to address some thoughts on here inbreeding (or line breeding as often called) is quite common in some breeds Welsh being one and is done on purpose so although obviously not desirable I wouldn't worry about problems with foal due to close relative being the sire. The foaling hub on Facebook is a really useful site with lots of knowledgeable people on and posts like yours are a daily occurrence. For now though take care of yourself there's nothing immediate you can do even if she is and if she is I would be looking to stud to sort for you. If getting milk she would be 4 to 6 weeks roughly so with foal weaned at 6 months you would have her back in the new year ready to break. I have my fingers crossed for you that she isn't though

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I wouldn’t panic, the breeder probably hasn’t had endless oops foals so probably does know what she is doing. Also don’t beat yourself up.
Vet check so you know, job done x
I wouldnt be so sure! From where I think this girl is from, the breeder doesn't seem to be the most conscientious of sorts. Pretty sure I came across this mare for sale when I was looking end of last year