Should I hit the panic button?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Would you guys have the vet there as soon as you see anything happening, or would you just watch and wait and see how they get on and only call the vet if it looks like it's going wrong?

Watch and wait, especially if your YO is on hand.

However if you would feel happier with vet in attendance there’s absolutely no reason not to call them.

Laurac13

Visit site
Good luck ? my friend bred a few foals from her grade A show jumping mare and all went smoothly every time I think as long as your vet is close by and on standby to get to you quickly I’d not worry too much, but your decision whatever you are comfortable with, I hope you get a pretty filly good luck ?

hobo

Visit site
Blimey she must have altered a lot quickly. Good luck leave her as peaceful as you can but have one eye open. Hopefully YO will help you through it. It is the wax building up that is a real give away but I guess some do not read the book. Best not to try and milk her before if can avoid it now you know she has colostrum.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think it was Asha on here who said she watched some foaling videos before her mare foaled earlier this year. Were they Stallion AI ones? They helped her know what to do when things went a bit off plan - it ended well.

Good luck.

ETA Yes, it was Asha.

I watched the one done by Stallion A I . It’s been 4 years since we had a foal so was great to do a refresher . Have to say it really helped when I was in the middle of it .

Last edited:

Jayzee

Visit site
Best of luck for the foaling! A shock for sure but hopefully a blessing in disguise eventually.

Hermosa is certainly gorgeous

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I would (and did) watch and call vets if problems if it goes smoothly the whole process is generally very quick (mine was just under 5 mins from water breaking to foal on floor, before that we thought she was in labour but weren't totally convinced) . I was told by vet on foaling course that once water breaks if nothing happening for 5 mins call vet or if at any time no progress for 5 mins call. Whole process should absolutely not be longer than half an hour or so and most are much quicker than that. Don't rely on wax, mine didn't wax until actually in labour. If milk is white and tastes sweet your close. Good luck and be sure to join foaling hub on Facebook. Lots of experienced advice and support (which I needed more after the birth which was very straightforward, it's all those is this normal type questions) Good Luck.

Surbie

Visit site
Pregnant. Very. Due imminently. All decisions are out of our hands because vet says she’s too far gone to move. Yard owner knows her sh1t, she’s had foals, and she will help us deal.

Can’t f£)£££king believe it. You can’t write this stuff.

Oh my! I didn't see this yesterday and things have gone very fast since then!! I hope you had a chance to have a bucket of wine and come to terms a bit with the idea of a knocked up teen! What a dim-witted breeder, it just beggars belief.

So glad you have an experienced YO. I hope Hermosa has an easy delivery. If the foal is anything like her mother it will be a stunner.

palo1

Visit site
I would (and did) watch and call vets if problems if it goes smoothly the whole process is generally very quick (mine was just under 5 mins from water breaking to foal on floor, before that we thought she was in labour but weren't totally convinced) . I was told by vet on foaling course that once water breaks if nothing happening for 5 mins call vet or if at any time no progress for 5 mins call. Whole process should absolutely not be longer than half an hour or so and most are much quicker than that. Don't rely on wax, mine didn't wax until actually in labour. If milk is white and tastes sweet your close. Good luck and be sure to join foaling hub on Facebook. Lots of experienced advice and support (which I needed more after the birth which was very straightforward, it's all those is this normal type questions) Good Luck.

The foaling hub is very supportive and will help you when you have questions but as Millie-Rose says, if your mare is not progressing in labour or if you have any concerns ask the vet to attend.

Asha

Visit site
I think it was Asha on here who said she watched some foaling videos before her mare foaled earlier this year. Were they Stallion AI ones? They helped her know what to do when things went a bit off plan - it ended well.

Good luck.

ETA Yes, it was Asha.

OP .. if you can watch them . It definitely helped me . Especially as my mare had a partial red bag delivery. Because I’d watched the videos I’d had a good refresher . So when it was going a bit pear shaped I was calm and managed to take control .
Good luck, and I hope all goes well .

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
good luck, i saw my first birth a couple of years ago, owner was almost 2 hours away as foal wasnt due for about a week, i was the only one at the yard and phoned owner in a bit of a panic but id seen loads of videos and all went smoothly. i knew to clear his nose once he was out and i stayed until owner got back. it was an amazing experience, but a bit scary.....

Xtra

Visit site
Would you guys have the vet there as soon as you see anything happening, or would you just watch and wait and see how they get on and only call the vet if it looks like it's going wrong?

Vet as soon as you see anything. I was told by the time trouble starts its too late to get them. They would rather be either half way out and go home if all OK or carry on to check mum and baby out.

Flame_

Visit site
Wow, exciting times. Enjoy every minute of your unexpected experience, I'm sure your horse and imminent arrival are in the very best hands :cool:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Why me and why now? I don’t think I’ve fully got my head around how bonkers this is.

that type of thinking will just tie you in knots. Kick it out. It’s happening, the why and where and how are long gone and not worth the time wasted on thinking about them.

Big glass of wine (or schloer if your on baby driving duties) and just plan for your new addition ?

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I can see a vague horse shaped blob in the dark doing a fair bit of pacing. She’s obviously in a field by herself, but she was just grazing earlier today. Dr. Google says it could be the first stage.
Could be first stage or could just be upset at being on her own. Mine was restless for a few nights before D day. The thing that convinced me she was in labour rather than just fed up and uncomfortable was how hot she was, was sweating and steaming like a sauna all of a sudden, then running milk then waters went. Keep an eye for her going down although some will foal standing up and drop foal on its head ?