Should I hit the panic button?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I don't think it is soo rare, but I am not sure.

I've been windown shopping and exclusively looking at Buckskins and Duns, there are a fair amount out there. I am not sure about the actual genes of the Duns I have seen, though. I don't know which ones would be considered "true Dun" as I've heard people throw that term around. I haven't delved that deep.

My PRE is like a solid bay dun of sorts, similar in color to Hermosa (can fluctuate a bit with the seasons/coat). He has a very prominent dorsal stripe, tiger striping on his legs, and shading at the withers (which shows better sometimes than other times). I mean, he's just bay, but has features that other bays may not.
From what I remember there are only 3 true duns registered in the whole stud book. There are a lot of buckskins, ND1 and various dilutions now though.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
From what I remember there are only 3 true duns registered in the whole stud book. There are a lot of buckskins, ND1 and various dilutions now though.

Ah yes, I was thinking there are some dun looking in phenotype but not true dun by genotype. I remember someone saying something about ND1 too, I just don't know a whole lot about it.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm not sure having the breeding recorded fully would be worth the potential hassle if the breeder decided to be an asshat somehow. Especially not as it has been such a roller coaster already. It's been a tough old week for you, CI. I would advise against adding potential complications at this point and just enjoy your new arrival and give yourself time to process your loss.

PurBee

Visit site
Just caught up from pg20...had a feeling she’s popped!

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!! ??????

Congratulations! You must be sooo relieved CI! Massive well done for your stamina!
He’s a little darling...stood there wondering where the warm womb has gone....and 1 pic hermosa looks like she’s figuring out how come there’s 2 of her now ?

She may be foal protective with YO, but i bet she’ll let you the closest as youre her person of trust and stability.

my mares birthday is today too. His birth day and hour will always be easy to remember -9am on the 9th june ?

So...he’s come out chestnutty...so could be a grey!! My grey came out that colour....looked like a deer in the field at first glance!

Huge hug...am so chuffed for you the foaling was quick and smooth. Ideal foaling.

Well done HHO crew for keeping spirits high with so much supportive encouragement! What an amazing forum this is! ?

meleeka

Visit site
oh those ears! ?

I think i’d have to contact breeder to gloat. I’m pretty sure she’d have no claim on baby anyway but would probably find that out for certain first.

GG13

Visit site
Congratulations on the new arrival, he’s gorgeous. Glad everything went smoothly in the end.

Boulty

Visit site
No helpful name suggestions (other than that unexpected baggage made me laugh!) but he's very cute & at least he's here safe.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
She’s pretty protective of him so not letting anyone near. Hence rubbish photos. YO says leave them for the day and try to get in there tomorrow.

Haven’t contacted her breeder yet. On the fence as I was warned she could be weird.

Fully understandable that you want to avoid potentially more unwanted trouble at the moment. Since they watched, and responded to a video you posted somewhere else about you working a little with Hermosa, as long as you don't post videos of the two of them on that same place, or post it with settings made so they can't see it, they won't find it out that way by accident.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
a friend of mine bought a barren mare as a riding horse. she had a foal and the previous owner said the foal was hers as she had paid for the covering fee. friend said she was keeping foal as she had been done out of a riding horsein the latter stages pf pregnancy and till the foal is 6 months and weaned. it got quite nasty and friend took legal advice and kept the foal, she wished she hadnt contacted the breeder

hobo

Visit site
I'm not sure having the breeding recorded fully would be worth the potential hassle if the breeder decided to be an asshat somehow. Especially not as it has been such a roller coaster already. It's been a tough old week for you, CI. I would advise against adding potential complications at this point and just enjoy your new arrival and give yourself time to process your loss.

Spot on PF just enjoy what you have. I am guessing he will in due time be gelded so having his full breeding is not really of great need. You know the mum and the DOB that is good enough. He looks a cracker just enjoy.