Should I hit the panic button?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I was going to phone the BHS tomorrow to just get clarity. I'm still on the fence about contacting the breeder. I spoke to BAPSH today, and they said that we can ID baby daddy if breeder plays ball. Obviously that means collecting samples off the suspect randy colts (ANCCE already have Dad's DNA on file). If I do that, Caso can be registered in the main BAPSH studbook. If I don't, he can still be registered but in something called appendix B.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I imagine the half-brothers' DNA will not be on file.

Going back through FB photos and cross-checking with the breeder's website, baby daddy could be her sire, or one of three colts -- a (now) 3-year old and two (now) 2-year olds. Everyone was obviously a year younger when the deed was done. It's like one of those bad teen holiday movies, where the kids are just having tons of sex. High school was not like this for me, but clearly was for my horse.

Emilieu

Visit site

Going back through FB photos and cross-checking with the breeder's website, baby daddy could be her sire, or one of three colts -- a (now) 3-year old and two (now) 2-year olds. Everyone was obviously a year younger when the deed was done. It's like one of those bad teen holiday movies.

Have you seen Mamma Mia? ????

Caol Ila

Visit site
My best friend (who is a wonderful horsewoman) is very keen on buying him once he's weaned, so that would be the ideal compromise between keeping him and not keeping him. Part of me wants to keep him, but given Hermosa is still an unbacked baby, I don't know if I can cope with raising two babies in the long term.

meleeka

Visit site
My best friend (who is a wonderful horsewoman) is very keen on buying him once he's weaned, so that would be the ideal compromise between keeping him and not keeping him. Part of me wants to keep him, but given Hermosa is still an unbacked baby, I don't know if I can cope with raising two babies in the long term.

Either way, it’s not the disaster you were predicting at the beginning of this thread and you have a beautiful newborn foal to get to know, which many of us are envious of!

Surbie

Visit site
Just caught up - CONGRATULATIONS! He looks wonderful and I love the name.

I don't have anything useful to say - hope you are having some well-earned rest though. :)

FlyingCircus

Visit site

Going back through FB photos and cross-checking with the breeder's website, baby daddy could be her sire, or one of three colts -- a (now) 3-year old and two (now) 2-year olds. Everyone was obviously a year younger when the deed was done. It's like one of those bad teen holiday movies, where the kids are just having tons of sex. High school was not like this for me, but clearly was for my horse.
I wonded how many other "oops" babies there have been from young mares!?

Jules111

Visit site

Sounds like you have a plan B. At the moment you must be feeling exhausted and more than a little bit overwhelmed by everything that's happened in the last couple of weeks. Thankfully your two babies will be together for 6 months which gives you plenty of time to work out what you want and figure out your next steps. Congratulations, you're officially a (unintentional) successful breeder of a very beautiful boy.

Carmen6

Visit site
In Spanish it would be pronounced kah-so but obviously you can say it however you like!

Caso pronounced kay-so would actually be queso, which means cheese. This makes me very happy.
I saw the name on p29 and thought "cheese?". Then remembered how it was spelled.

Depending on how this is pronounced in person, there's going to be a lifetime of "why did you call him cheese in Spanish?" :D

Welcome to the world, Caso. Thanks for not keeping us waiting. :D:D

PurBee

Visit site
I saw the name on p29 and thought "cheese?". Then remembered how it was spelled.

Depending on how this is pronounced in person, there's going to be a lifetime of "why did you call him cheese in Spanish?" :D

Welcome to the world, Caso. Thanks for not keeping us waiting. :D:D

lol thats hilarious...im not familiar with spanish, but i really love cheese...i.d call my horse cheese, haloumi is a fab name ?

The saying of Caso ‘kah-so’ is beautifully mediterranean.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Actually Cheese is Spanish, Queso, is pronounced with a soft e, so that is different. Kay_so doesn't equate to any Spanish word so even if pronounced that way no danger of being cheesy.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am another who would not commit to sell. Hermosa will be educated this year, even with a foal at foot, there is much for her to learn. Next year she will be backed and ridden away, exhausting in itself.

When I saw the pregnancy result, my first thought was that this may turn out to be the best thing, in the end. At least you have been busy following the loss of Gypsum, the new horse has a nod to her in his name, you have your ridden horse...

Timing wise, it is actually good! If your yard is experienced with youngsters and can support safe heard turnout, the baby will have a grand start.

But, I would keep the option of selling open too, I would simply say that I haven't made my mind up yet.