Should i let him be used at College?

EventingMad

Visit site
Well i'm starting a National Diploma in Horse Management at Riseholme on Monday.Which means i'll be living away from home during the week and come home at weekends.Which of course he can't only be ridden twice a week so we've whittled it down to what we can afford and are only options left are putting him on Working Livery at the college or to sell which i would be really sorry to do as i have got so much planned for him and me and have only just formed a relationship.(that sounds mad!)

I'm just stuck to what to do about letting him go.As i'm just not sure he'll be suited to this life.As only an 6yr old he'll be used 3 hours a day by various students at different experience and level,sorry i don't mean any offence by that! Doing various work which will mean he'll of course be tired physically but just not mentally and i'm not sure how he'll cope with that.Just not sure if selling him will be the best for him where he can be going out competing and eventing which i'm working towards with him.But he'll just won't be fit enough and doing the right schooling for me to do this at the weekends and in the holidays.

Sorry for a rambling post and not making much sense i'm just not sure what to do?
crazy.gif
frown.gif

Scarlett

Visit site
My horses have all - bar the two I have now - been used in riding schools or at colleges while I was learning/working, and its never done any of them any harm, quite the opposite in fact.... just as its good for us to ride different horses its part of a young horses education to be ridden by other people. His work would be varied and he's be well looked after - I wouldnt have a problem putting my current horses, both TBs, into that kind of environment.

good luck.

Nailed

Visit site
When i was at college, they used ted in alot of demonstrations on farriery and conformation and alot of horse managemnet lesson as he couldnt be ridden by alot of the college pupils as he was just outta rcing and used to trip alot.

Did me alot of favours and he was very popular!
Lou x

lauraanddolly

Visit site
I had my horse at college with me, I found it really useful I had only had her a few months and it really helped me get to know her as I could have quite a few lessons a week myself on her. The downside I found is on the days she had worked but I hadn't ridden her I felt bad riding in the evenings. On the whole it worked for me and meant she was always done and I could party in the evenings and just worry about getting up for lectures the next day, not doing her!
Also she was used in the BHS stage exams too, not always for ridden work but for the stable management bit as she was quite a good dummy! I was once asked in my stage one questions about her i.e what colour was she, did she need shoeing etc obviously I wasn't going to get any of them wrong!
I did the ND too, but at sparsholt. Enjoy it !

crackersluvrat

Visit site
Hi i'm at Riseholme on the degree course, could you have him down on the DIY yard for just you to look after, I had mine with me for the last 2 years. Not sure what the working livery costs or if its free but you can either do just for students at 3hrs a day or 2hrs a day where you can ride as well, I think (although from your post it sounds like you have already looked into the options). They will build up the work gradually with him as they do not want physically/mentally exhausted horses, some horses thrive in the environment, if he doesn't they will send him back or you can take him out of it and sell him if it's not working. If he is the type of horse you want for the future I would try all possible options before selling.

One important point to note is the turnout is VERY limited, most of them only get one morning/short day per week :S

madmav

Visit site
Why not give it a go and see how it's working out. Better to do try and see what happens rather than sell and have no way back.

I also agree that horses are very adaptable in coping with different riders - as long as they are not being mistreated.

EventingMad

Visit site
Thank you,see thats what i feel about him being ridden during the day.I would then feel very guilty for riding him after he has done all his college work. Then the other side is like you said about going out and partying and having that life which would be very difficult or none exsistent if i still had him to do.
Thank you so much and hopefully i will!
grin.gif
grin.gif

EventingMad

Visit site
Yeap we've worked out with me living in and still having another horse at home it will just be too much on top of everything which is a real shame as that would of been ideal!
frown.gif
I didn't know about the different hours only that they did 3hrs will ask about that tomorrow! Oh rightio that does sound much better about him being introduced slowly.
Thank you so much for your advice as really put my mind at ease!
smile.gif

Will have to try and meet up what degree are you doing?
grin.gif