Should I mind my own business?

Holding

Visit site
While I think the answer is likely to be yes, I just wanted some advice. I am currently dog sitting for a month for three dogs - one is older and there are two six month old puppies. They are all fed on Sainsbury's basic working dog food. They all seem to be constantly hungry, especially the puppies, and run around the garden eating each other's poo as well as scavenging anything they can on walks (literally will dive to try to lick gum off the pavement). Our dogs are hugely greedy but nothing like this. One of the puppies in particular doesn't seem very healthy - he has a dull coat and lots of eye discharge. I am tempted to try them on something more nutritious or talk to their owners about my concerns, but also feel like it's probably none of my business and would be more likely to offend or irritate them than help. So - am I worrying over nothing? Should I shut up and mind my own business? What would you do?

GirlFriday

Visit site
Are you a paid sitter or someone who knows the owners socially? As an owner I'd be annoyed in either circumstance if you changed diet without consulting but if you think they are hungry surely no issue to mention casually that you wondered if portion size needed upping? Personally I'd try the portion size approach before the change of feed one first. Also: some dogs just do scavenge more than others. Mine is lean and fed slightly less than recommended. But I can (and regularly do!) walk him through a very large meat market without him showing any interest at all whereas most of his more portly friends need to be dragged out of there....

Re: eye I'd definitely mention that asap and ask which vet the owners want the pup taken to.

Holding

Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I am being paid, but not a professional - just a favour for some neighbors. I certainly wouldn't change food without talking to them but not sure if or how to broach it. Maybe it isn't a big deal and I'm just overly concerned with dog food! My dogs are scavengers and have been known to dive into the road if there is a crumb to be had, but these dogs don't like lift their heads off the ground for a second. Not sure if quantity is the issue as they don't seem to be underweight, just not hugely healthy, if that makes sense? Think I will ask them about taking the puppy to the vet for his eyes and go from there. Thanks again - it's always tricky looking after other people's animals when they are kept very differently to your own. The other one I look after is a tiny little Maltese type thing who is on a big can of wet food a day and so fat he can't run!

Sandstone1

Visit site
I would mention the poo eating to the owners and say it's,sometimes diet related. They might then consider changing to a better quality food. Just be tactful,and say you've looked it up online or something.

twiggy2

Visit site
I would mention the poo eating to the owners and say it's,sometimes diet related. They might then consider changing to a better quality food. Just be tactful,and say you've looked it up online or something.

No one knows for sure what causes poo eating, it is more common in puppies and young dogs but some ever grow out of it regardless of what they are fed. You cant interfere with what the dogs are fed but you can advise ( be very prepared for deaf ears though), Re the eyes they need to be checked by a vet sooner rather than later.
Do you not get anything signed to state if you feel it is needed that you will take animal to the vet at the owners costs?
To be honest this sort of situation highlights why you need insurance to look after other people's animals as you do what is needed for the animals without worrying about costs.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Yes, I'm aware that no one really knows what causes poo eating or coprophagia. It is quite possibly a natural behaviour in some dogs. In this case it may be appropriate to mentionit to the owners as it may prompt them to change to a better quality food.
Coprophagia can be related to diet in some cases.
If the dogs only eat their own feaces you can try corgette or pineapple in the food as this may put the dog off eating feaces.
There are,also tablets called stool repel that may help.
As they are not your dog's you need to tred carefully.
A good quality food and watching the dogs and picking up any poo asap so they don't get chance to eat it is probably the best way to go.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
As others have said - if you're looking after them, by all means mention the eye as that's something that should be seen to sooner. However the diet thing, as much as you feel strongly about it, it's perhaps best left alone unless you have the type of relationship where it might come up in general conversation or they ask.

As for copraphagia, my bitch was awful but would only eat my old dog's poop. Never bothered with the middle dog's. Now the old dog is gone, she hasn't had a poop snack since.