Should I move to new yard even though it would skint me?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I would def move for the winter and keep looking for somewhere cheaper, £60 pw including all food and bedding in the shelter and well maintained grazing sounds pretty good especially compared to no turn out at existing yard..is there a stable available for you to tack up etc or is the field shelter the only option. if so what happens if one of yours needs box rest? if the yo likes you she/he may do you a deal for 2 horses....I moved yards at end of October as previous yard was sold for development and we(2 of us) found a yard but new yo said she may not have enough grazing for ours to go out for as long as we wanted...we decided to try anyway but still look for somewhere else as we really wanted 24/7 in summer and all day in winter.....we have been given both horses are very happy and yo wants us to stay as she likes the way we look after our horses and her premises so we have been lucky..

smellsofhorse

Visit site
TBH, I'd keep looking.

Me too.
There must be something more between the two.
Basically your horses will be living out with a shelter and there in is no arena.
The extra cost is for someone to poo pick and the hay.
I'm sure you could find grass livery which will be a lot cheaper but you pay extra for hay as you use it and you poo pick yourself.
The extra for hiring arena and parking trailer will be as above.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Quote: - Is a lot more expensive (£60 pw) but is full livery.
How can anyone afford to offer full livery for £60.00 per week!

It's just impossible to care for a horse properly and make a profit for £60 per week it scares me horses are being cared for like this .
My TB eats nearly £60 a week in admittedly very expensive nice haylage in the depth of winter .

NellRosk

Visit site
It's just impossible to care for a horse properly and make a profit for £60 per week it scares me horses are being cared for like this .
My TB eats nearly £60 a week in admittedly very expensive nice haylage in the depth of winter .

I have no qualms whatsoever about the care and I'm certainly not scared about their welfare! I'm guessing she makes a slight loss in the winter which she recoups in summer as the rate is the same, she did say it was an average.

SO1

Visit site
I think it is expensive for full grass livery without a school and I am in the South so used to paying expensive prices.

However I am guessing you are in an area where there are no other options for decent turnout in the winter the YO can charge a premium for being able to offer all year turnout and you have small group turnout and they can manage your good doer as well so it does sound good and I can see why you like it compared to the other options.

Could you look at speaking to the YO and seeing if she would do some sort of deal perhaps a 5 day livery where you do the poo picking and mucking out the field shelter at the weekends and she does the work during the week.

SO1

Visit site
Agree for full stabled livery but I think this is grass livery though and if the grass is really good they may not to feed that much hay during the winter, I have been on grass livery on a yard where there was so much grass they did not need to feed any hay during the winter at all unless there was snow.

Barnacle

Visit site
I asked a local yard for a quote the other day and it was £40 in summer, grass livery and about double that in winter for full livery and daytime turnout (for a larger pony/small horse). Has two small outdoor schools, bridleway right out the front gate and well-kept horses. And this is just North of London... I'm sure you can find something that is intermediate in cost - you might just need to sort your own electric fencing.

sidsmum

Visit site
It sounds like you are ready to leave but because of the extras (hiring the arena and trailer parking) that does make it expensive! I'm in Cheshire and for 120 a week I could have part livery on a posh yard with its own farm ride, XC schooling area and two arenas! I can't afford it but I can sigh wistfully every now and again! ;-)

I would keep looking, check out tack shop notice boards and local papers etc, you will find something eventually, it just might take a bit of time for something to pop up! :)

ETA, with a fence jumper and a cribber I have my own electric fencing to make an inner boundary in their paddocks. :)

asbo

Visit site
Our livery is roughly the same all year round, they charge per day so slight difference on a 30 day month to a 31 day month. Ours includes ad lib haylage use all year round, fields are lovely, everything done for you and you just have to turn up as and when you want. I pay roughly £220 per month for 2 on grass livery, if i had one in work it would be around an extra £25-£30 per month per horse, but with 100s of acres off road hacking/schools/xc/sjs plus the ad lib haylage in the fields in winter and take what you want in the summer its worth it, plus i live on the estate so can see one of mine from my window right now. If you think you would be happy there, move, if not, keep looking.

dawn m

Visit site
Its not this by any chance is it? Advertised on preloved.

Ideal for happy hackers, youngstock or retirement livery in lovely countryside around Flockton / Emley areas.
Livery includes:-
Well looked after grazing which is poo picked daily with safe fencing. Fertilized and limed.
Winter hardstanding/turnout area.
Small herd or individual turnout.
Night time stabling or full time turnout. Both stables & field shelter.
Stables with rubber mats and Liverpool Wood Pellet bedding.
Ad lib quality haylage.
Daily fibre bucket feed.
Post & rail, stock $ electric fencing.
Worming, feet trimming and all associated care of your beloved friend by BHSAI, Int SM.
A stress free environment on a small private yard currently with 3 horses and room for another 3.