Should I put on a medium rug

shamrock2021

Visit site
My horse is clipped last weekend.i decided on blanket clip Since I clipped She is dropping weight like Crazy . She has 2 hard feeds a day and plenty of haylage . I have 200 medium With a nack attachment I was thinking of putting it on her to see dos it help her . Do you think it’s a good idea. She is currently in Rain sheet.

Summit

Visit site
Defo, I wouldn’t be using a rain sheet now on my horse. He’s a TB with an Irish clip. He’s in a 200 at night. I don’t like going to heavy too soon or else you’ll have nothing more for the bitter winter nights

MissTyc

Visit site
Mine are fully clipped and in rainsheets during the day (in at night, naked) ... It really depends on the horses. Mine are always fat and seem warm to the touch so a 200g would probably bake them! There's a mare on my yard unclipped in 150g that seems quite happy. Only you know your horse and his needs!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Agree with the others, depends on the horse. I have a very hot warmblood, he's fully clipped and out in a standard lightweight rug. I tried putting a 180 on him last week and he ripped it trying to get it off (he will stand there and pull the bottom of the rug), so he's back in a LW and much happier (out 24/7 still).

If your horse is loosing weight and feels chilly under the rug/base of ears then yes i'd up the weight of the rug!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Like others have said, it does depend on your horse. If your concerned she's cold try feeling the base of her ears and her armpits.

Mine's out 24/7 with an Irish clip and naked whilst his similarly clipped friend is in a full neck. I'd be tempted to try a 100g first and then a 200g if you still think she needs it - or a 200g at night. I'm in the SE and it's still reasonably warm here!

It might be worth looking at what you are feeding too - both forage and bucket feed :)

Upthecreek

Visit site
Dropping weight is a good indicator that she is using energy to keep warm. Both of mine are fully clipped - one is perfectly toasty in 100g and the other needs a 200g to maintain his condition.

Regandal

Visit site
Check the temperature in the armpits. Ears are like feet, they vary their temperature quite randomly as they are on the periphery of the horse.

L&M

Visit site
We changed ours into their medium weight rugs today, for the same reason. Definitely a chill in the air and the sideways wind and rain doesn't help matters.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Depends on horse and location. In Yorkshire most horses are requiring swimming lessons - but actually it's relatively warm (still in double figures overnight).

Unless your in north Scotland or she's out 24/7 with no shelter or doing race horse level exercise I'd be having a little look at what else might have changed.
A blanket clip isn't much off really, 2 feeds a day a good quality haylage should be plenty.

Definitely rug - (assuming big weight loss isn't the aim) but keep a good eye on other things - just to make sure it's only temperature linked.

My cob has a low irish clip - mostly out in the ark requiring weather with no rug no hard feed ! and he's putting on weight - (to my intense irritation!)

irishdraft

Visit site
My fully clipped out horse is in a 100g with a lightweight over the top mainly because 100g leaks . It's been wind & rain all day south east but it is still warm . As others have said lots of variables for everyone s situation. If you think it's required then put it on you can always take off if too hot .

Laurac13

Visit site
I think yes all horses are different merlin ISH got a blanket clip last week and toasty inside 100g, my elderly mini Shetland isn’t clipped but also happy in a 100 g he has Cushings and can’t control his body temperature well these days, each horse is different if yours is losing weight I would definitely up the rugging