Should I replace body protector?

Summit

Visit site
I’m getting back into riding and my BP has got to be about 15 years old. It’s never taken a fall but I’m wondering if it is still safe to use and hold up to the job, deterioration etc?

Or should I get a new one?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was always told that the foam does deteriorate with age, even if you have not fallen on it. Besides, I do think the more modern ones are more comfortable and breathable than those from 15 years ago. Plus, depending on the one you bought, it may now be out of standard I think?

DirectorFury

Visit site
I'd replace it! Modern BPs are so much more comfortable than the ones available 15 years ago and the foam will have degraded.

hattie2525

Visit site
To be honest I would get a new one. The current up to date standard for competition is BETA Level 3 dated 2009 but even if you don't want o compete the foam that is inside your body protector will have perished over time and wont offer the same protection it would have done 15 years ago.
You will also be surprised how much body protectors have come on in a shot time, the designs and materials used are much more comformable to the point where you will actually want to wear it!

Summit

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.....glad to hear that the new ones are more comfortable :D

Any pointers on what to look for or recommendations? Just something for hacking.....

Guess I could buy a 2nd hand one if it’s not too old?

Last edited:

JulesRules

Visit site
I'd go somewhere where they do different brands and try a couple on. I went out to buy a Racesafe but tried on an Aeroware and bought that as it was so much more comfy. Assuming you are female the Aeroware Outlyne is female shaped. I wear mine all the time and am happy to do so whereas I never wanted to wear my old Rodney Powell.

Edited to add I think you can get the Outlyne in Sports Direct for about £130 or online for even less

Last edited:

Louby

Visit site
I'd never really wore one properly until this year as Id had a nasty accident and realised I just dont bounce anymore lol and was just about to start riding my newly backed 4 yr old. I remembered the older ones being bulky and horrid to wear. I ordered the latest Champion BP at a great price after reading reviews but in the mean time went to a local shop and tried the Racesafe on and quite liked it, so bought that and sent the Champion back. Its great, I now dont even realise its on as it seems to mould to me when it warms up. The only downside is I do get hot with it on.

Visit site
We wear racesafe ones at work and after a week or so they mould to you and you barely notice you are wearing them. They have fully adjustable sides so whether your fried eggs or bowling balls in the chest area they tend to be able to fit nicely.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Another vote for Racesafe. Very comfy, light and adjustable and they do mould as EKW says. If they can cope with H cups full of milk (tmi perhaps), it's fair to say they can accommodate a wide range of shapes.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'd go somewhere where they do different brands and try a couple on. I went out to buy a Racesafe but tried on an Aeroware and bought that as it was so much more comfy. Assuming you are female the Aeroware Outlyne is female shaped. I wear mine all the time and am happy to do so whereas I never wanted to wear my old Rodney Powell.

Edited to add I think you can get the Outlyne in Sports Direct for about £130 or online for even less

OMG the old Rodney Powells!! Like being squeezed between two bits of plywood :O

Summit

Visit site
I found a shop with lots of different makes and sizes and the most comfy for me was the racesafe....and the most expensive :D