Should I rug the ponies? Opinions please!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Both mine were cold and miserable on Saturday morning having been out in the rain all night. Although there is a tree there is no shelter from the wind when it blows directly into the paddock. So both have come in at night since and horse has been out in the day with a light rug, he is better off than the pony as he is carrying plenty of weight but he really hates being out in persistant rain. I am in general a no rugger, but this is unseasonable.

SEL

Visit site
I’ll start off the bidding :D. For my PSSM mare, last night I removed her 100g rug and put a 400g HW + neck cover on. The others stayed in their 100g’s. It’s still p1ssing it down this morning, so the PSSM mare may keep her HW and neck cover on during the day o_O. That is unusual for June!

Making me feel better!! 200g with her rainsheet on top because I know that is waterproof. Much looser this morning.

Ardennes in 50g. When I first went out he didn't want the rug on. By the time I'd finished poo picking and putting hay out I'd gained a shadow who'd decided his PJs were a nice idea.

Same again tonight after a bit of a naked roll in the mud session.

Northern

Visit site
I didn't know you got winds like that in Australia. I always think of it as boiling hot. I saw a video clip on the internet of a koala bear in someone's garden. The man brought him some water to drink. 🤗
I'd love to stroll outside and see a koala bear up a tree :D

Our winter cold fronts originate in Antarctica, bloody freezing! My paddocks are in a Valley shaped like a wind tunnel, icy winds coming from the snowy mountains. The hot winds in summer come in from the centre, then it’s like a furnace and dusty. We can’t win 😂

PS. Koalas rarely drink water 😂 unfortunately they’re rare around here, dying out as urban environments expand 😢

LR2904

Visit site
My shetland and welsh d hide under trees when very heavy rain along with the sheep but the welsh b is a little underweight so always shivers so never without a rug if any sign of rain.

paddy555

Visit site
I’ll start off the bidding :D. For my PSSM mare, last night I removed her 100g rug and put a 400g HW + neck cover on. The others stayed in their 100g’s. It’s still p1ssing it down this morning, so the PSSM mare may keep her HW and neck cover on during the day o_O. That is unusual for June!

nah, 450 rambo wug. Now removed thank heavens. Worth it though, he walked out like a dream when ridden this morning. Felt terrible putting his mid winter rug on in June. :rolleyes:
Hope everyone's PSSM horses are OK after the weather.

catkin

Visit site
I was just thinking it’s pretty miserable but it’s only a few days of persistent rain and a bit chiller than average... pretty sure all my childhood holidays were like this!

I think so too
....and, the contrary kids that we were, my brother and I thought it was great as we had whole beaches to ourselves ;)

Lammy

Visit site
We’re looking at day 4 of constant rain if it carries on tomorrow like it’s forecast. My chunky ISH hot horse has been out in a no fill turnout most days except for Monday which was truly horrific and so he had a liner underneath. I can’t put anything heavier on him as he really would be hot but he’s miserable when the sheet starts to soak through so he’s been coming in at night all this week. He can go out and get soaked in the day but he needs a break from it.

If your horse needs a rug it needs a rug whatever month it is, this is not usual June weather!
The floods have started and I can’t wait for the bloody rain to stop!

SEL

Visit site
nah, 450 rambo wug. Now removed thank heavens. Worth it though, he walked out like a dream when ridden this morning. Felt terrible putting his mid winter rug on in June. :rolleyes:
Hope everyone's PSSM horses are OK after the weather.

Much better this morning after being boiled last night! I chucked the rainsheet on over the top as an extra layer and that was drenched through. Winter rug lovely and snug tho.

The advantage of a deserted about to close livery yard is there are plenty of places to hang wet rugs - & I seem to have lots! Poor Ardennes only has 2 rugs and they are both sodden. I think he'll fit into the mare's rugs as an emergency but she won't be happy with them smelling of boy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I went out this morning to give hay and remove rugs. In the sheltered yard, it was drizzling, with a gentle breeze. I would not normally have rugged in that weather.

By the time I got to the horses who were grazing at the bottom of the hill, I realised that the wind is now from the NE and cold. Even down there, there is so little shelter from the elements that I left the rugs on.

I think tonight is forecast to be drier - I do hope that's right.

I am considering growing rice at the top of the hill, there is too much water there for the few willows to be able to cope with!