Pictures Should I Sell My Horse

HC Adeline

Visit site
I have a gorgeous mare. A beautiful dapple grey that I adore. She is the sweetest, most curious thing on the ground (except with the farrier ?)

She saddles up well, no fuss, although she does move around with me cause she loves to watch what I'm doing. But, the problem begins when I reach for a stirrup. She steps out and walks away. I must turn her head in to make her stand. Then, once I am in the saddle, we ride off. She is fine most of the way out, but then she will spook at something, and then buck at the same time, throwing me off balance. Thank goodness, I have not fallen off any time she has done this. And where I live, it is winter and there is snow on the ground, so the footing is rather unsteady, and I dread her falling and tripping, as she is not so graceful on her feet, anyway. Which makes me think it might be the weather issue, and I am making her nervous...but I try and calm her, but I do not think she listens. She prances with her head straight up, and I lose control of her head.
But, after the crisis is over, the ride is back to normal, but I'm on my toes, and I don't enjoy the rest of the ride. I try to get her to canter, but such a thing is a chore, even going uphill. But she is not a lazy mare, so I think she is ignoring my aids.
Now, we are on our way home, and she will throw in another buck and spook. After that, I'm pooped.
Another of her problems is she does not trailer well. Now, she loads just fine, with or without a treat (though she sometimes prefers a treat) but she hates the door being closed behind her. I don't know if she had a bad experience as a yearling or is claustrophobic, but she will instantly back out if she sees the door move, or hears a scary sound outside somewhere. This makes going places very stressful. We usually have to use a butt rope to prod her in, and usually after that she's fine.
She also is stubborn with picking up her feet, but hasn't done anything horrible. She does pin her ears at the farrier, and we all know that's a no no ?.

Now, there's my problem. I have a huge hunch that the problem is baby me, but I need some counselling. Should I sell her or no? I feel horrible. I love her, and, as a horse, she doesn't have much of a hankering for me. She likes her two pasture buddies much better. I've had this mare since she was 3. She will be turning 8 this July. I have an emotional attachment to her, but I want to look forward to our rides.
I've done lunging with her. Quiet bareback rides in the pasture and around the house. My friends have ridden her, but she has bucked with them also (thankfully they did not fall off). I know this mare can do more, so I hate letting her go. Some have told me to jump her, but I ride western, so maybe someone with more English experience would enjoy her.

Sge could do well with better training (as she had not had any GOOD professional training, just bad from before I owned her) and better training for me (as I am not the most graceful rider) I ride fine and dandy (about a progessing intermediate) and I love speed and obstacles, but also enjoy the quiet lazy ride in the fields.

Mostly, I just hate what people would think if I sold her. So many have told me how beautiful she is, and what a match we are. Yes, we do have similar personalities. We're both adventurous, curious, sweet and sassy, but I have no idea if that's a good thing.

Thanks for reading through my long article of despair. Hopefully there is some hope in my hopelessness.

Now, I am (kinda) ready for your advice:

Chuffy99

Visit site
Sounds rather that you need to become the leader in this small herd and not wait for what she wants, you need to make ground rules ie she stands to be tacked up and learns to stand until you’re on and ready to move off, try to have some good instructors to come in to get you both working to the same goal. From your post you both seem a little lost and need some goals.

Widgeon

Visit site
It doesn't sound to me like you are fundamentally incompatible - she sounds like a nice horse who is a bit unsure and also trying it on with you. You mention various issues:

- standing still to mount
- behaving for the farrier
- loading and travelling
- prancing around and bucking when ridden

The first three all sound like they should be solvable one at a time, and then the ridden issues - some professional schooling for her, and lessons for you (as you suggest) could probably sort that out.

I've not added anything that the previous posters haven't already said, but I didn't want to read and run. Best of luck, from what you've said it sounds like your problems are very solvable. But I know how hard it is when you only have one horse and you feel like you're making a hopeless mess of everything. It's almost certainly not as bad as you feel it is!

Winters100

Visit site
I don't think it sounds impossible to get to where you want to be with her, but it depends on how you feel with the horse. If you are afraid when riding her then PeterNatt's suggestion may be a good one. If not you have plenty of good advice about training and ground rules.

Whatever you decide do not take into account what people might say or think if you sold her. If they are horse people they will understand that sometimes you need something different, and it is best for everyone (horse included) to find them a home where they are a good fit. If you know that this is not the horse for you (and only you can know this) then what others think is immaterial. As for her being beautiful you will always find a horse who is right for you beautiful. When I first saw my mare my instant reaction was 'what a huge head!', but she is perfect for me and never puts a foot wrong, and honestly now I think she is the prettiest mare in the world!

HC Adeline

Visit site
It doesn't sound to me like you are fundamentally incompatible - she sounds like a nice horse who is a bit unsure and also trying it on with you. You mention various issues:

- standing still to mount
- behaving for the farrier
- loading and travelling
- prancing around and bucking when ridden

The first three all sound like they should be solvable one at a time, and then the ridden issues - some professional schooling for her, and lessons for you (as you suggest) could probably sort that out.

I've not added anything that the previous posters haven't already said, but I didn't want to read and run. Best of luck, from what you've said it sounds like your problems are very solvable. But I know how hard it is when you only have one horse and you feel like you're making a hopeless mess of everything. It's almost certainly not as bad as you feel it is!
Thanks so much for the advice. I do have professional training set up for her...but it is not until September.
I work horses with Buck Brannaman (I don't think I'm spelling that right) and Pat Parelli's way of training. I have done many excersizes with her. Like lunging, as I mentioned before. So, she knows I am the top, and she does act like I am the boss, but it is the spooking that troubles me. I can deal with bucking. But, a spooked horse is going to be a spooked horse. So, when she does get spooked, what I HAVE been doing (advice please) is getting off and confronting the issue, since she responds better when I on the ground with her. Is that right? I have read that it is, but always open for suggestions. As for my own training, I have ridden other horses well. (Most of them were professionally train though) My one problem with riding her is my hand position. My seat and legs are all fine, but my hands are always up in the air. Many of people have told me it looks odd. I don't ride other horses the same way, but it always occurs on her. So, I feel unconfident. I want to show and go trail riding at different places, but I feel I would fail and make a fool out of myself.
Thanks again for your comment!

HC Adeline

Visit site
Firstly, rule out any actual physical problems. Spook and buck - possible saddle problem, also reluctance to go forward into canter, saddle too tight.
I did used to have a saddle that was too big for her, but I got one to fit her. It is a nice trail saddle with a 7 in gullet. I always make sure to have at least three fingers slide under the girth. Today, I did get her to canter, and she didn't seem unhappy about it once we got into it. I do worry about her respiratory health, as she coughs after a while of cantering (like 4 strides). Thanks so much for your inquiry and please send suggestions.

maya2008

Visit site
Saddle fit - check first.
Physical pain - check second.

Beyond that, if all is well, act like nothing is a big deal, be mildly annoyed rather than scared at the spook and tell the horse to get a grip!

Horses are as spooky as we let them be. Some more than others, due to their personalities, but every horse can be improved.

YOU have to not get scared though.

Imagine... she trusts you, she sees something that frightens her, you get frightened too. ‘Wow!’ Thinks the horse, ‘That bird was so dangerous it scared Mum!’ So next time she is even more scared of the bird. Replace bird with farrier etc etc...

Do you want to sell her, and find something easier, or do you want to make her easier? Those are your choices!

doodle

Visit site
Robin can be spooky. It’s just him. He usually jumps to the right. Forcing him to confront/look at/investigate the thing he has spooked at makes matters much much worse. Like by me taking an interest in the whatever it MUST be killer. So when he spooks I basically ignore it. He is now getting braver and Will sometime spook then realise he is not going to die and will stop and think, then he gets a little pat and we carry on like nothing happened. If he spots something he thinks he might be worried about I literally say out loud “your fine” slightly increase my leg then look away from it and passed. He generally then goes “right ok I’ll keep my eye out but I can go passed”. If I tell him off for spooking his world ends.

Winters100

Visit site
Imagine... she trusts you, she sees something that frightens her, you get frightened too. ‘Wow!’ Thinks the horse, ‘That bird was so dangerous it scared Mum!’ So next time she is even more scared of the bird. Replace bird with farrier etc etc...

Do you want to sell her, and find something easier, or do you want to make her easier? Those are your choices!

This is 100% right.

I had a 'spooky' horse who terrified me. Now he is in a new home with a more skilled owner he is not considered spooky, just seen as 'not always the bravest, sometimes needs a bit of a push'. Reality is that it was a vicious circle and the message that the horse was getting from me was 'LOOK AT IT - OMG - DANGER' rather than 'come on you big silly, nothing to look at here'.

No one can say what is right in your situation, it may well be that with some help you can get through this and have a great relationship with this horse. I would say however don't do what I did and try too long if it is a horse who will never suit you. I spent a small fortune on training, kept trying for years, and when a serious accident finally convinced me that I had to sell it was the best thing for both of us. The horse is happy with an owner who truly appreciates him. I sold him totally openly - told them everything about the horse good and bad and encouraged them to try him multiple times, because I believe that to get a really good home it has to be a good fit. They are delighted with him and have several times asked me why I said that he was not nice to hack etc because they give him confidence that the problems do not arise.

I now have my wonderful schoolmistress who gave me back the enjoyment of riding. So much so that within a year I bought a second one too - and keeping the 2 costs about the same as keeping the last one alone because I don't need a permanent trainer and endless lessons. My lovely girl arrived in December 2018, and the whole of last summer I was hearing from everyone how much I had improved. The reality was that just having an easy horse did this. I really wish that I had realised earlier that I was always going to be overhorsed and that any amount of training and lessons were not going to make us work. Not saying that it is like this in your case, but if it is just think about it.

HC Adeline

Visit site
This is 100% right.

I had a 'spooky' horse who terrified me. Now he is in a new home with a more skilled owner he is not considered spooky, just seen as 'not always the bravest, sometimes needs a bit of a push'. Reality is that it was a vicious circle and the message that the horse was getting from me was 'LOOK AT IT - OMG - DANGER' rather than 'come on you big silly, nothing to look at here'.

No one can say what is right in your situation, it may well be that with some help you can get through this and have a great relationship with this horse. I would say however don't do what I did and try too long if it is a horse who will never suit you. I spent a small fortune on training, kept trying for years, and when a serious accident finally convinced me that I had to sell it was the best thing for both of us. The horse is happy with an owner who truly appreciates him. I sold him totally openly - told them everything about the horse good and bad and encouraged them to try him multiple times, because I believe that to get a really good home it has to be a good fit. They are delighted with him and have several times asked me why I said that he was not nice to hack etc because they give him confidence that the problems do not arise.

I now have my wonderful schoolmistress who gave me back the enjoyment of riding. So much so that within a year I bought a second one too - and keeping the 2 costs about the same as keeping the last one alone because I don't need a permanent trainer and endless lessons. My lovely girl arrived in December 2018, and the whole of last summer I was hearing from everyone how much I had improved. The reality was that just having an easy horse did this. I really wish that I had realised earlier that I was always going to be overhorsed and that any amount of training and lessons were not going to make us work. Not saying that it is like this in your case, but if it is just think about it.

I am thinking about it. Thank you. Your comment was very helpful.

HC Adeline

Visit site
My main problems are; the trailering, and spooking, and bucking. Anything else, I am not as concerned, and believe I can fix those problems.
Reasons I'm considering selling; No one out of my family wants to ride her (as they are afraid and inexperienced with handling such behaviours) and I want her to be safe for my horse friends to also ride. I don't want to tensely watch as a friend rides my mare (but they are also not willing to ride her). So I am her only rider currently, which is fine with me, but I do want her to progress into a trustworthy mount.
But I am not making any solid decisions at this time.
After her training in September, I will reassess, but I believe she will have improved after the 30 day intensive. The trainer is a person I trust, and I know I will also learn with her. We will both get something out of it, but I just wish it was sooner. Hopefully, we can work out some issues in the meantime.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
With regard to the trailer, could you feed her in there each day and progress to shutting up the ramp while she eats for a few seconds, then a few minutes etc?
If pain/discomfort has been ruled out, with a spooky horse it can be helpful to bridge the reins while they have their little moment, the pressure on the withers can steady them and you might feel more secure with a bit of mane/neckstrap to catch hold of. A firm leg aid to push them past while chattering away in a calm voice can help. If you have somewhere safe to school, introducing spooky objects (umbrellas, plastic bags, tarpaulins) by leaving them (safely) around the place when you are schooling can help to desensitise the horse and it is also a good place to train your own reactions to their spooking without any fear of traffic/pedestrians getting in the way.
Is it possible that you are lifting your hands because you are anticipating her bucking? If so it might help to have a neckstrap to tuck a finger into to keep your hands low (and give you something to hold on to!)
Ultimately, go with your instincts as to whether you should sell her or not, you know best what you are prepared to deal with. There is little point in keeping an animal that you won't enjoy, if it always feels like a chore she will start to pick up on that as well and it isn't really any fun for either of you.

HC Adeline

Visit site
With regard to the trailer, could you feed her in there each day and progress to shutting up the ramp while she eats for a few seconds, then a few minutes etc?
If pain/discomfort has been ruled out, with a spooky horse it can be helpful to bridge the reins while they have their little moment, the pressure on the withers can steady them and you might feel more secure with a bit of mane/neckstrap to catch hold of. A firm leg aid to push them past while chattering away in a calm voice can help. If you have somewhere safe to school, introducing spooky objects (umbrellas, plastic bags, tarpaulins) by leaving them (safely) around the place when you are schooling can help to desensitise the horse and it is also a good place to train your own reactions to their spooking without any fear of traffic/pedestrians getting in the way.
Is it possible that you are lifting your hands because you are anticipating her bucking? If so it might help to have a neckstrap to tuck a finger into to keep your hands low (and give you something to hold on to!)
Ultimately, go with your instincts as to whether you should sell her or not, you know best what you are prepared to deal with. There is little point in keeping an animal that you won't enjoy, if it always feels like a chore she will start to pick up on that as well and it isn't really any fun for either of you.

I am not sure what you mean by bridging the reins...but I do believe a neck strap would help me. When my hands are in the air, this has happened only when I am riding with others or at a show. I watched vidoes and sae pictures of myself, and boy, do I look like the novice. But, I think I do that because I am trying to keep her collected. Again, she has not had ANY professional training and it is hard to keep her straight. She holds her head up high most of the time, and maybe that's also why I have my hands up so high, but I do need to learn to keep them low and steady. I think it has become a habit, so it might be difficult, but I will try. Going to shows with this riding flaw really brings me down. I look like the beginner. But I have ridden horses for 8 years...getting this low of confidence isn't feeling very good, so I will certainly try what you suggest. Thanks for being helpful!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
8 yrs really is't very long in horse-riding terms. TBH it's not so much how long you have been riding which develops your experience/knowledge, as the number of different horses you have ridden. But honestly I would have your saddle checked by someone very knowledgeable very soon. And if the saddle is said to be fit perfectly, I would get a vet to check the back and hind legs.

ETA bridging your reins means holding them both in each hand with a double layer between the hands.

HC Adeline

Visit site
I have ridden very many horses
8 yrs really is't very long in horse-riding terms. TBH it's not so much how long you have been riding which develops your experience/knowledge, as the number of different horses you have ridden. But honestly I would have your saddle checked by someone very knowledgeable very soon. And if the saddle is said to be fit perfectly, I would get a vet to check the back and hind legs.

I have ridden many horses. From a registered reiner, to a pigeon toed 3 yr old. I've ridden 18 hand horses down to 12 hand ponies. Old saddle horses to green broke horses. I have been bucked off a handful of them(I've only been bucked OFF this mare twice) I do agree I am not an advanced rider (everyone has room to learn) but I am used to riding many types of horses.
I plan to check her saddle fit. Hopefully I do not find any issues there. Thanks for the advice, and I will be having the vet up sometime next month for a Coggins test, and I will have them check her then.

HC Adeline

Visit site
I have ridden many horses. From a registered reiner, to a pigeon toed 3 yr old. I've ridden 18 hand horses down to 12 hand ponies. Old saddle horses to green broke horses. I have been bucked off a handful of them(I've only been bucked OFF this mare twice) I do agree I am not an advanced rider (everyone has room to learn) but I am used to riding many types of horses.
I plan to check her saddle fit. Hopefully I do not find any issues there. Thanks for the advice, and I will be having the vet up sometime next month for a Coggins test, and I will have them check her then.

HC Adeline

Visit site
Oh, extremely experienced then! :rolleyes:

That is not what I meant. That message sent before I finished it. If you look back, you will see I send something else.

No rider should consider themselves"very experienced". Confident would definately be something they couls say about themselves, but it should be a more mature rider that tells you are a good rider or you need some work. No rider should ever get a big head - it's not healthy.

HC Adeline

Visit site
:oops::(
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Please do not think I declare myself a "wonderful, advanced rider with much talent"
Trust me: that's not the case. I love riding, but that does not mean I'm wonderful. I can improve. I can sit a horse and ride like a dare devil, but I am no Buck or Pat. Far from it. I'm not an exquisite, beautiful rider with gifts. I'm just a rider - with hand placement problems. I don't compete to win (cause I know I won't) I "compete" to have fun with my friends.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That is not what I meant. That message sent before I finished it. If you look back, you will see I send something else.

No rider should consider themselves"very experienced". Confident would definately be something they couls say about themselves, but it should be a more mature rider that tells you are a good rider or you need some work. No rider should ever get a big head - it's not healthy.

I am not sure where you are but in UK we have trained saddlers/saddle-fitters, which I would always advise novice owners, such as yourself. to employ if there is a question about the saddle-fit. I would be more inclined to sell the saddle than the horse, tbh.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have to ask, what is a coggins test? i assume you are not in the uk from the type of horses you have ridden. if you are nervous your horse will pick up on it and will just get worse. you really need lessons on her now, not in september. if you cant get immediate help i would think selling may be a better option for both of you before this behaviour gets worse and you get more worried...

HC Adeline

Visit site
i have to ask, what is a coggins test? i assume you are not in the uk from the type of horses you have ridden. if you are nervous your horse will pick up on it and will just get worse. you really need lessons on her now, not in september. if you cant get immediate help i would think selling may be a better option for both of you before this behaviour gets worse and you get more worried...

You are correct: I am NOT from the UK. I just noticed that this site is specifically for people in the UK. I'm so sorry. Should I get out of it? I should have noticed the site url said UK in it. I'm dumb. Sorry.
Um....I'm not sure how to explain a Coggins test, as I don't understand it fully either, but it is required if you plan to travel and go to shows and trailer your horse anywhere. So, I think it ensures that the horse is healthy and doesn't have any communicable diseases. I think. I am probably wrong, but that's the best explaination I can come up with.
I want to take lessons, but I would need to find a good place to do that (I do not board my horse at a stable, she is home with me)
I rode 3 different horses yesterday, all of which were for sale, but I believe I am spoiled, because none of them had smooth gates like my mare. That is one thing that I love about her. By far, the smoothest horse I have ridden (though the Belgian/percheron/paint was like riding a couch)
So, I WILL look into training for myself, and hopefully I will break my sloppy hand habit and improve.

Okay, thanks everyone for being so helpful! I will try and leave you UK residents in peace ;)
Btw, how's the weather there? Snow on the ground here makes riding no fun. Wish I had an indoor, or even an OUTDOOR arena.
Thanks again!