Should I? Shouldn’t I?

LPL

Visit site
Hello! I have a 5 year old tb who is a little superstar. We have done a few bits of xc schooling/lessons and he has done a few show crosses and a 70cm ODE which, when I actually ride him go very well.
He has the odd stop but it is ALWAYS due to me not doing anything and literally just sitting there.

Yesterday I was on a BE run day clinic and the instructor said I should go ahead and enter Askham BE80 which I know, if I actually ride him, he could win. But if I don’t I run the risk of penalties on his record which ultimately don’t matter but it is something we all think and worry about...

Our issue isn’t with the jumps it is more an attachment thing, if he sees another horse in the distance he gets distracted, starts backing off my leg and I do literally nothing about it.

Askham is one of the kindest 80’s and would suit him really well at this level so I’m some ways I feel it would be a shame not to give him that chance.

Any thoughts? Do I? Don’t I?

When it goes well:

https://youtu.be/kVEfoi_8Gp8

Perfect example of being distracted, he starts stopping miles out. I. do. Nothing.

https://youtu.be/_tCnGGQ27BA

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm going to say no. Purely from a cost point of view. Its a lot of money to go somewhere to work on issues. Could you make it your aim to sort this over the winter ready to start BE next year?

Equi

Visit site
I think it would be better to perfect yourselves over winter and for you to learn to ride on and for him to know you mean it. I think if you see him see another horse, you probably loose focus yourself thinking about him thinking about the other horse...so work on that (if you followed any of that haha)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think it would be better to perfect yourselves over winter and for you to learn to ride on and for him to know you mean it. I think if you see him see another horse, you probably loose focus yourself thinking about him thinking about the other horse...so work on that (if you followed any of that haha)

What equi says.