Should I soak grass nuts?

NellRosk

Visit site
Getting a bag tomorrow for my mare. She was on them last winter and I didn't soak them, although I did feed them with speedi beet so they were dampened. She was fine and didn't choke. I've read a few posts on here saying to soak them as they can get choke, would you say soak them or is she okay having them dampened with beet? Don't have water at my stables so it would be more convenient not to soak them but of course I will if it is required. :)

NellRosk

Visit site
If you are feeding speedibeet anyway why not just soak them both together? I would never feed them dry after seeing how much they expand when soaked.

Have to lug water about in containers and every extra bucket makes the difference! Make up a big trug of beet to last a few days so I'll start doing the same with the grass nuts then I think. If anything it'll make them last longer too :D What consistency do you soak them to? Dry and crumbly or sloppy like the beet?

Gemmabel

Visit site
I use the emerald grass nuts. It says on the bag they can be fed dry, part soaked or fully soaked. I usually just wet them down for 5 mins and then feed but I have fed them dry as treats, in a snack ball and from the bucket as he has never come to any harm :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Not only do I soak grassnuts but I always mix them with chaff, after our elderly cob mare had choke on soaked grassnuts without chaff - the speedibeet might do the same job though.

TPO

Visit site
I feed them soaked (overnight) but they can be fed dry. I use them to replace beet completely hence they are soaked.

Yes they expand but so do all nuts and folk are happy to feed fibre nuts/pony nuts dry. Having soaked fibre nuts they expand to the same extent as grass nuts.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think not only the choke risk but the colic risk with them being unsoaked - they expand just as much as sugarbeet and no-body would feed sugarbeet to horses unsoaked (although it's fine for lots of other species)
The swelling in their stomach/ gut could be quite significant and I'm not sure drawing in that much water would be good either.
I put a whole bucket of water to one stubbs scope of nuts and it's still dry 3/4 hours later. Great product but I suspect the labelling for horses is wrong.

Doris68

Visit site
I'm just in the transitional stage of putting my old mare on a cereal-free diet. I'm using Simple System grass pellets and it says can be fed without soaking. She's had no problems so far with them being mixed in with her dampened feed.....should I really soak them to be safe? BTW, she's only being given a small cup in each feed at the moment.

NellRosk

Visit site
I'm just in the transitional stage of putting my old mare on a cereal-free diet. I'm using Simple System grass pellets and it says can be fed without soaking. She's had no problems so far with them being mixed in with her dampened feed.....should I really soak them to be safe? BTW, she's only being given a small cup in each feed at the moment.

I was exactly the same as you but after reading these replies think I will soak to be safe. Would never forgive myself if anything happened!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'd soak them.

The first - and last - time that I ever fed them to anything, was to my greedy-guts traddie cob. I fed them dry, stupid I know. This was a few years ago.

He choked on them. It was awful, very frightening and very distressing for him. Luckily I'd seen a vet sort out another horse in another situation, so I knew what to do, i.e. massage the windpipe, very gently, and all was well.

But I've never fed grass nuts since. Its speedi-beet for my two. Easy to do, and its far and away the safest, and best, way of feeding sugar beet IMO.

NellRosk

Visit site
Oh no, glad he was ok mijods!! Choke is a horrible thing to witness isn't it, I once saw a friends pony after it had got to a bin of dry speedi beet... Scary. I'm feeding them with beet and alfalfa because she's dropping off slightly even though she's on ad lib hay and she's a big 5 yo. Also there's zero grass in the field so thought she'd appreciate the taste. :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
I really rate them, they literally saved my old pony who 3 winters ago I was going to PTS as his teeth are so bad he can't eat hay so was starving in front of my eyes! This year (and last) after having them recommended by my dentist he's 100% held his weight all winter so I am feeding 2 x stubbs scoops (before soaking) 3x a day, I'm sure a handful in another feed the soaking is not so critical

NellRosk

Visit site
I really rate them, they literally saved my old pony who 3 winters ago I was going to PTS as his teeth are so bad he can't eat hay so was starving in front of my eyes! This year (and last) after having them recommended by my dentist he's 100% held his weight all winter so I am feeding 2 x stubbs scoops (before soaking) 3x a day, I'm sure a handful in another feed the soaking is not so critical

Aww that's great news PM! Glad they saved him. :)