Should I Stay or Should i go? Advice?

Holzdweaver

Visit site
This is going to be a bit long, so i apologize in advance!
But want to state all the facts as im just so torn. and wonder if anyone can give me a little guidance.

Its about moving my horses and although i know it has to be a personal decision, but money is a little tight and id like to know if im just being plain daft! lol :p

The place im at now, is small but just managable, i have a paddock for summer which is wet, some of it is all reeds but has good grazing at the top and does me if i manage it very carefully. I cant school in it as its too wet. I also have a small trash paddock with a shelter in for winter and monsoons, iv also rubber matted the area outside the stable so they dont have to stand in mud to eat their hay. The shelter is on the small side, but my two horses share it, one of which will not go in at all.
I have barely any storage, haylage is covered with a tarp and stored outside, my straw is on pallets and is covered outside and i have a tiny stone building for my tack, rugs and feed. No running water but close to a river, No electricity. Hacking is ok, but really only one or two places to go. A friend lends me her school free of charge whenever i want to use it. The owner checks my horses everytime he leaves the house, as its situated right next to the field, so i have peace of mind in that respect.

As i dont drive it takes me half an hour there and half an hour back, and after an eight hour shift its so draining. I dont usually feel like riding as im just too tired, which i know is highly selfish! For the above im paying £40 a month for one horse and one pony.

Now iv rang about a place iv passed a few times on my way to feed the geese which has three stables, a secure tackroom, and a hay barn. No running water, No electric. The amount of land is about the same and would only do two horses and that is again with careful management, but its dry land and well sheltered. Id also be able to school in there when its dry.
The whole thing needs a lot of work, walls rebuilt, weeding, roof fixing, water collection set up etc all of which im happy to do. The hay barn would mean i can buy things in bulk and surely save a bit of money? plus the storage would be a godsend. Hacking is better than the last place, but mostly roadwork again, but further afield there are tracks i could canter on. but no school i could use or rent unless i borrowed room in a friends trailer.

This place is situated five mins walk from me. As it needs work, its £160 a month for the three stables.

I really want to go for it, as its an improvement but is it worth paying £120 a month extra, just for storage and less distance to walk everyday?
I have peace of mind where i am, i love the people who rent me the field, and its like venturing into the unknown if i moved! what if everything went wrong? :(

Or am i being daft in questioning it?? :confused:

WelshD

Visit site
Will the owner of the new place do the repairs?

If not and if you really want it then negotiate lower rent for the first X number of months

Its a big jump in costs but it does sound nice

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Id be doing the repairs and maintenance (well my and OH)
He actually wanted £200 a month until i pointed out all the work which needed doing and i said it was very unreasonable and £160was the least he would go down too, if it had a few more acres, then sure but its not got much land at all.

Its just such a huge jump in price, id love to have them just up the road, as the extra hour walk a day is draining after a full day off work, but it is winter and i never noticed hating the walk this much in summer lol :D

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Thats alot more a month... I'd go with the idea of using the money you save to get a couple of sheds etc... also could you not cycle or something so you don't have to spend as much time walking there?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Rent both for a few months? See how you go on at the new place, and if nothing else, you will have let the usual field rest for the rest of the winter, which can't be a bad thing, and saved yourself a walk for the rest of the winter..

Other option with what you're saving, treat yourself to a taxi once a week, or driving lessons..

Littlelegs

Visit site
For the extra cost of the second you could probably get a taxi to the first. Why not just buy a bike & stay at the first, it would cut the journey right down?

Holzdweaver

Visit site
also forgot to put in original post, i do have access to extra grazing twice a year for a month (£40 a month) to rest mine and may be able to get another field which is a lot drier for an additional £10 a week situated a five min walk from the stables.

so even if i had the three places combined all year its still cheaper!

I never even thought of cycling! that would cut my journey in half :eek:
how could i have not thought of doing that with the amount of bikes which go past me on the way there and back...:eek:

reddie

Visit site
I think unless the owner of the new place repaired it, or knocked down the rent and you made the repairs, then I would stay where I was. Also could you cycle to your field, that would cut travelling time down a lot.

9tails

Visit site
New place sounds a bit grabby for not a lot, take a look at DIY livery as you may find that they're not a lot more if at all. Then stay at your current place with your shiny new sheds.

9tails

Visit site
also forgot to put in original post, i do have access to extra grazing twice a year for a month (£40 a month) to rest mine and may be able to get another field which is a lot drier for an additional £10 a week situated a five min walk from the stables.

so even if i had the three places combined all year its still cheaper!

I never even thought of cycling! that would cut my journey in half :eek:
how could i have not thought of doing that with the amount of bikes which go past me on the way there and back...:eek:

I'm moving in with you, it's an absolute steal.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Now im thinking a bit clearer, thank you for your input and for the tips of managing what i already have :D

Im going to stay where i am, as even though it isnt perfect, iv done so much work post and railing the place and managing the land, plus i can afford to keep my horses well, without having to cut corners etc, but if i moved, i may have to skimp a bit, which wont be good in the long run. Plus id never afford such luxuries as a little car when i finally pass my driving test (im currently taking lessons) :)

maybe can rethink if i ever get a better paying job hehe

WelshD

Visit site
We rent this place

Before

S6004733.jpg

Less than £200 and literally a few weeks later, roof fixed, doors fixed and treated, gutters fixed, painted inside, fences treated, topped and weeded - it looks like a different place!

S6004818.jpg

This costs a LOT less in rent than you are being quoted though. If you go for it then get that lower rent agreed in writing and set for some time - you dont want to fix it up and then be thrown off!

LD&S

Visit site
I'd be staying put to, £120 a month is a lot extra to find. First months saving, buy a bike, then see if you can put in a field shelter or similar for storing hay/straw, maybe even build something agaist the side of you brick building, you'd only need three sides and a roof and you'd still be in pocket with the use of a school too.

Littlelegs

Visit site
For the first you could buy a second hand metal shed, or rig up a storage area with mdf, pallets, tarpaulin & some corner posts, & just use the existing one for valueables.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
my OH thinks im mad for wanting to move now, as all the issues i have can be easily solved (he was all for it an hour ago though!), his exact words ' Where else would your neighbour next to the stables, go down to the horses, in the pouring rain in their dressing gown. Just to check they were ok, as a few fireworks went off down the road?' :)

Burmilla

Visit site
Although it's lovely to have your horses nearby, how much will you need to spend in terms of time, labour and cash to do all the repairs - quite a lot, I should think. Will you have a formal repairing lease? If so, for how long? Since you are doing improvements to the place - roofing, water system, rebuilding walls, (fencing?) what would happen if he gave you notice? Would you be able to reclaim the costs? What is the security like? How long will it take you and OH to do the work? Probably at least a month, and we will be heading towards Spring then. Better weather, which might make the walk a bit better!. I think you should discuss all the above factors with the owner and ensure you had a legal agreement drawn up before you begin, stating responsibilities for upkeep, insurance, length of lease, notice period etc. estimate the cost of the repairs/improvements, and deduct off first quarter's rent.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Now you're just bragging ;)

hehe they are lovely people and love the horses, im very lucky with that, id have nobody if i moved, OH is now sitting there telling me all the Pros of staying where i am, even though iv decided to stay and improve everything. Personally i think its the fact that hes only just finished the dry stone walling off! lol :D

Burmilla

Visit site
Whilst I was laboriously constructing the above post - HHO-ers have made more sensible comments and you have made your mind up - the person dutifully trotting out in their dressing gown through pouring rain to check horses not spooked by fireworks - would have done it for me! Good luck with the bike - plenty of hi viz please!

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Thank you Burmilla, iv also learnt how to approach potential lanlords if i ever do move, there wasnt going to be any contracts or anything off the monthy bill, expected to do and pay for the work myself on top of the rent, which now i think about it is very daft! thank god i posted and you lovely people talked me out of it :D

hehe i also have an obsession with Hi-viz, and hthe horse is lit up like an xmas tree when i have to hack at night, i do make the unhorsey people in the area chuckle when they see me, when i explain id rather be bright yellow and orange rather than dead, they soon convert to my way of thinking! in fact just a few weeks ago, i got given two brand new hiviz bomber jackets from a builder just up the road as he had bought all the lads new ones at work and still had some left from last year. Said he thought of me when thinking of who to give them to! rofl xD

Xander

Visit site
Staying where you are? Good choice.
Pocket the spare money and buy storage (I think you can get one of those lockable cargo container thingys for a couple of hundred quid). a bike and rent some extra land when you need to.
Maybe your OH could give you a lift now and again in exchange for -erm- 'favours'?

showley1

Visit site
Think both bike and sheds sound like a good idea if you are happy where you are. Plus you have peace of mind of someone on site.