Should livery owner get me a new rug

Yeomans

Visit site
Hi All, just wanted a bit of advice/thoughts on what to do. I have just left a yard and the yard owner could not find my mediumweight turnout rug in the haystore. Do I just write it off or do I ask her to find/buy me a new one. Thanks

ihatework

Visit site
Is it full livery where you are absent and they have taken sole responsibility? If so I would suggest it might have been used on another horse. At the very least I would expect some genuine searching to be going on!

If however it’s a livery where you have been around. No, I’d be looking for it myself

lottiepony

Visit site
If you were on full/part livery then I would expect it to be replaced. If on DIY where sadly more things seem to get 'lost' I don't think there is much that can be done.
Makes you think that if you do have a horse on full/part livery that a proper list should be made of your items to ensure everything is returned if you move...

Visit site
Give yourself a pat on the back for moving on from that yard; sweetly ask the YO to keep an eye open for it; wave cheerily as you drive away.

You could fuss about it, and you might well have good reason to do so. But I doubt you’ll gain anything apart from a stress headache. Move on to your new yard ?

Buster2020

Visit site
I had stuff randomly go missing when I was leaving a yard to be honest I think they were just mad that I was leaving. I would just write it off it No point in starting a arrangement .

Green Bean

Visit site
On a scale of what battles to fight, this would register as ‘annoying’ or ‘typical’ but unless it was brand new and expensive I would simply walk away

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Is it full livery where you are absent and they have taken sole responsibility? If so I would suggest it might have been used on another horse. At the very least I would expect some genuine searching to be going on!

If however it’s a livery where you have been around. No, I’d be looking for it myself

^^^ This. It IS darned annoying when "your" rugs get used - and then trashed - on another horse.

Anyone who's ever had a horse on full livery will be feeling your pain..... but as others have said, don't see what you can do.

What I WOULD do, in your new yard, is to get out a laundry pen and mark your horse's rugs! Or if darker colours and this isn't practical, get some doggy-disks or something and make sure that your rugs are ID'd.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I put a horse on sales livery with a well known eventer. Sent tack and 3 rugs, 2 x Rambo rugs and a stable rug.. I sold horse paid the fees and went to collect the tack and rugs, and what a surprise only the stable rug could be found. New owner only bought the horse not the tack . Never got the turnouts back.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I put a horse on sales livery with a well known eventer. Sent tack and 3 rugs, 2 x Rambo rugs and a stable rug.. I sold horse paid the fees and went to collect the tack and rugs, and what a surprise only the stable rug could be found. New owner only bought the horse not the tack . Never got the turnouts back.

Next time type an itemised list of all items left with horse, and you and yard owner sign items being left in their care and not sold with horse.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think I’d find it hard to write off one of my £300 Rambos even if old. If it were a cheap one I don’t think I’d bother though although I would text or email saying please can you look again for the rug or that I’d be happy to come and look for it myself first. Be nice and pleasant- good to get a response saying they would. (Confirms it is missing)
I might then make noises about the value if nothing came of the first attempt. It might magically produce a result. Then I’d leave it if nothing came if that basically because I can’t stand the hassle but small claims may be an option if you’ve proven they had the rug and as a business have lost it.

fiwen30

Visit site
Slightly off topic, but is there a sure fire way to ‘freezemark’ rugs? I guess an ID pen wouldn’t work on a dark colour rug, but maybe writing your name/horse’s name on a light coloured patch in indelible ink, and then maybe stitching or bondaweb-ing it onto the rug?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Slightly off topic, but is there a sure fire way to ‘freezemark’ rugs? I guess an ID pen wouldn’t work on a dark colour rug, but maybe writing your name/horse’s name on a light coloured patch in indelible ink, and then maybe stitching or bondaweb-ing it onto the rug?
Typex / nail varnish or paint

SO1

Visit site
Depends on the value of the rug.

I'd ask if you could go and help look for it and also ask if other liveries could check to make it had not got muddled up with their stuff by mistake, if you are on full or part livery it could have easily got muddled with another horses equipment. TBH on most yards unless you have a locked space it is pretty easy for something to get taken if someone really wants to steal it.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Spray paint your phone number on the rug,also useful if the horses escapes.

I once had an expensive Buccas rug stolen off my horse's back when she was out in the field - the replacement had my postcode painted on it in bright red large letters. Made me cringe having to do it - but if it meant not having another rug stolen off the horse - what the hell.

Yeomans

Visit site
I was on full livery and the rug had only been worn a couple of times and was mediumly priced, have looked everywhere and the yard owner has admitted that she did see it somewhere but now cannot find it. I will ask her to replace it and if nothing comes of it will probably write it off but peed off that I should foot the bill.