Should this plan work? Business people out there

Frazer

Visit site
I have quite a bit of cash that I have saved over the years and now feel it would be a good idea to invest it! About two years ago, I brought a pony which I then had for a month, taugh the basics, and then sent her on short term loan to a very capable friend to give her experince! Brought her for £1100 and sold her for £2300! In the space of about 6 months, with only one months livery. I haven't brought a horse or loaned a horse out for a while (sold enough) but am wondering wether or not this is still capable into days world, with the horse prices etc... I would buy the horse in spring when theres more time to school and school! Any thoughts and ideas? Bad or Good?
laugh.gif

Tia

Visit site
Yes there are loads of horses around who are perfectly suitable for this providing you have the know-how to produce a good standard of horse.

Buying and selling is part of my business and if you buy right and sell right then yes you can make a decent amount of profit. The last big horse I sold, I actually bought him from a Yard Sale for $800 and sold him a year later for $4,000 plus another $1,500 for boarding him here till the end of this month.

I bought a small pony a couple of weeks ago for $400 and sold him the very same day for $800 although I did keep him here for just over a week to make sure he was perfect for the new owners....which he is!

If you are light enough to bring on ponies then that is where you will make your best profit percentage as it is quite easy to double your money on them in no time at all.

Personally I always buy in the Autumn/Winter and aim to sell in the Spring/Summer.

filly190

Visit site
I think having a project to work on and take pride in is lovely. Especially if you are going to be selling a horse on, that you have put lots of work into and the new owner benefits.

I dont know much about buying and selling, but I have rehomed ex racehorses that have come straight off the track. I had been given them by the owners who simply did'nt want to pay the expensive training fees and they thought it cheaper to cut there losses (they pay anywhere from £400 upwards a month, usually around £500 - £600) When a horse has finished its racing career, nobody wants it.

I just did the basics with the horse and got it happy, hacking out and popping over tiny coloured poles, enough for someone to want them and take them further. I just covered my own expenses with a tiny profit.

This is an area, you could perhaps look into. The only thing I would say, is you have to been at judging charactor and temperment, as the trainers/owners will give you anything!!!.

Not saying that I am, I live near a race course and when they had trainers working from it, I used to drink with all the stable staff, so I had my card marked. It was'nt down to luck, inside knowledge and word of mouth.

There were plenty of ex race horses that my experience would not cover, but many and I mean many make the most wonderful horses.

4whitesocks

Visit site
I'm pretty risk averse - and my initial reaction is that if you're doing it as a way to make money then no - if you're doing it because you would enjoy the project and you might make some money then yes....the only people I know who make money out of horses are those who are really serious about it and it's their full time job....

It would be a fab project to work on but be prepared that it might not be a money spinner on a small scale!! (you just can't predict that every horse would work out as well as your pony!)

sorry for being negative but that's my opinion!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I would look at it as possibly making money, but not to bank everything on it. Keep a job on and if you make some extra cash then great. If you become quite adept at it, then chuck the job in.

It's definitly still possible nowadays and I've wondered if I could do the same thing myself.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
If you are prepared to take the risk then why not! All I would say is look closely at the market and see what is selling rather than buying something just because you like it. It drives me mad on Property Ladder when people go against the advice of the experts and do what they want and then can't sell it!

Frazer

Visit site
Im looking at it more as a project, which could make me some money! As ive had a couple in the past which I have brought and have had to be sold for the same price! This time i would be more aware of the market I think.. Thanks everyone, will start looking at the market