Should we be worried? Slightly silly question, sorry!

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Bit of an icky one so apologies in advance. This might also be a bit of a dim/novicey question but I've not actually dealt with something like this before.

Doing the horses this evening and I noticed a bit of straw hanging out of the little Dude's sheath. Went to pull it out and realised it went quite a way up, so stuck my hand up there and pulled this out from the end of his penis...

It's about the length of my hand and the width of two fingers, very very stinky! He had a bit of discharge down his back legs too, never had anything like that before.

Should I be worried about it? None of my geldings have ever been at all dirty and I've never had to clean them, so have absolutely no experience of what's a normal amount of gunk.

I've got the vet coming on Friday to do his teeth so I will ask her to have a look whilst he's sedated if anyone thinks it's something to be concerned about.

As always TIA and sorry for the stupid question!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
not a stupid question, i wouldnt know what it was ...i would phone the vet tomorrow and send them the photo just in case it is something not good..then you can either call them out or relax until friday

EquestrianE01

Visit site
not a stupid question, i wouldnt know what it was ...i would phone the vet tomorrow and send them the photo just in case it is something not good..then you can either call them out or relax until friday

Thank you, think that's what I'll be doing.

Just wanted to double check I wasn't overreacting. Someone on the yard has just found out that their horse has got cancer up in his sheath and think it's made the rest of us slightly paranoid!

Reactions: TPO

Equi

Visit site
I have never seen anything like that in my life ?

I’ve seen gunk that colour before but not that shape, it’s more like cottage cheese.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't like the look of that at all. Will you update us with what your vet says? I'm hoping it's nothing, but I'd definitely be checking, you aren't over reacting.

ETA my spotty horse produces smegma that blood colour, but it's not fibrous like that, it's more like lumps of putty.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
I have never seen anything like that in my life ?

I’ve seen gunk that colour before but not that shape, it’s more like cottage cheese.

Thank you both, okay I will ring the vet as soon as they open tomorrow morning.

I don't like the look of that at all. Will you update us with what your vet says? I'm hoping it's nothing, but I'd definitely be checking, you aren't over reacting.

Yes absolutely, I'll update as soon as I know anything. Hopefully it's nothing ?

EquestrianE01

Visit site

ETA my spotty horse produces smegma that blood colour, but it's not fibrous like that, it's more like lumps of putty.

Just seen your edit YCBM; it had straw and hair mixed in there, I broke it apart after I took the picture as was worried about the texture

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Just seen your edit YCBM; it had straw and hair mixed in there, I broke it apart after I took the picture as was worried about the texture

Well I'd be far less worried, then. It looks just like Ludo's smegma would look like if it had got mixed up with hair. How on earth has he got that much hair up his sheath, though! ?

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Well I'd be far less worried, then. It looks just like Ludo's smegma would look like if it had got mixed up with hair. How on earth has he got that much hair up his sheath, though! ?

Okay phew. Will still obviously ring the vet though.
I'm not really sure, it was mainly straw, but still enough hair to wonder how it got there. He was clipped about 3 weeks ago, but I've never had a problem with hair getting up there before.
He has also been on box rest to keep my mare company for the past week, so I wondered whether it might be the lack of movement that's caused a build up?

holeymoley

Visit site
It just looks like a very very big lump of grot from the sheath. My guy is pink skinned and his Yukky stuff is that colour. He’s never had a bit that long before though. I’d say it’s normal, just looks like he could do with a clean, probably longer as it had the straw up there too!

Regandal

Visit site
When my wb was bedded on straw he frequently had bits of straw stuck in his sheath. Wasn’t too happy about having them removed either. I think it was the way he lay down or got up.
I wouldn’t worry too much.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Picture been sent to the vet. Will update you all when she get back to me ?

ETA: just heard from Mum that his stable was much wetter today. His stable has been unusually dry with only a couple of small wee patches lately, so hopefully we've cleared some sort of blockage he had going on ?

exracehorse

Visit site

My horse has black tar smeg. But nothing like that

EquestrianE01

Visit site
The vet has just replied; she's hoping it's just normal build up, but as we're sedating him on Friday anyway, she's going to have a proper look at it then ...

@Cinnamontoast I think you might need to apologise for ruining everyone's breakfasts for the foreseeable future ??

ETA: message from the vet now it's finished downloading

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Well, thanks for ruining every cornflake breakfast I have for the foreseeable...:oops:

Made me feel sick ?

So sorry to all who normally enjoy the crunchy (or remarkably soggy of left too long!) goodness of cornflakes for breakfast. Everyone normally talks about that as cornflakes round here. Oops. ??

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Just a quick update for everyone.

Had the vet out to the little man yesterday. Thankfully everything is fine it's just normal build up *phew*. The vet thinks that it was just a combination of many things, hot weather, a lot less exercise than normal, and somehow getting quite a lot of debris up there.

He has got few little cuts up there which we're really not sure how he managed to get those ?‍♀️. Any ideas on that would be much appreciated!

Overall she said it looked very healthy and was deeply disturbed by just how much our weird little pony likes having his private parts being cleaned ?