Should we buy another one?

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
OP's OH ... as already said, no one is bullying, and the intention was never to offend. But let's move the scenario forwards (theoretically) ... you are in work, or at home, and you know your wife is up on the Blorange on Arthur - are you a) happy and relaxed knowing that she is 99.9% likely to be having a fun time or b) worried and waiting for that phone call that says she's been airlifted to hospital because Arthur saw a sheep he didn't like! This isn't drama or exaggerating - horse riding is about the most dangerous sport there is - sensible riders don't take unnecessary chances and it is foolhardy to push yourselves so far out of your depth. Also, there is nothing worse than having a horse that you are afraid to ride; the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, looking for excuses as to *why* you can't ride ... too busy, too tired, too windy, too hot, too many flies, when you know in your heart if you had a horse you felt safe on you'd be out there riding at every opportunity. Don't set yourselves up for that, it's meant to be an enjoyable hobby. All horses test us to some extent (especially when we are not in the super-confident, super-experienced category), but you've got to recognise a test that you stand a reasonable chance of passing if you summon your reserves and give it your best shot, and a situation where someone could get seriously hurt, suffer life changing injuries or worse. Do please be careful. Good luck with whatever you decide.

indie1282

Visit site
Clearly from your OMG post, you think that you are right and we are all wrong. I dont think that you even think the bolting is that bad? Your post was " Shall we buy another one?" Meaning shall you buy another horse when it should be " Help my horse has bolted with me"

OP has said that OH is novice and only had 5 lessons then lets him hacks out on a horse that has bolted!

To Op's Oh - you have fallen of and hurt yourself badly - do you want the next time it happens to be worse, even fatal? Because it will happen again as you are both overhorsed.

I've ridden for 30 years on lots of different horses and I have ridden my fair share of 'tricky' horse but a bolter? Even if it did it once that would be game over for me.

Two bits of advice you should definitely heed?

1) Get good pulic liability insurance

2) Get good medical insurance

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Having been run off with down a lane before I can say it's not something I'd ever want to experience again. A lady was herding some cows and there was a fork in the road. They were meant to go right and didn't amd instead came trotting up the left which is where me and my friend were. We thought we'd turn round and walk away. Horses turned straight into a flat out gallop. The lane was twisty and I was just waiting for a car to be coming the other way and that to be it. Fortunately there wasn't and after a bit we were able to get them in a lay by and pull up but we were so so lucky nothing was coming.
If it kept happening then I'd definitely have to question what to do. You mentioned the chainsaw and if it was just the once I don't think you'd have quite so many people saying to sell him but the fact he's done it several times with you for no real reason adds to people being worried for you both.
If you are insistent on keeping him is there anywhere you could have lessons on him then pay someone to hack him for you- you could maybe go with them on a bike to see how they manage him? I'd also be investing in body protectors and or air jackets.

Like the poster above said I wouldn't be putting someone who's done very little riding on a horse who's run off so many times and needs a Cheltenham gag to be able to stop. Especially as you mentioned there is a main road nearby. Is there anywhere safer your husband could ride him (if you keep him ) for a bit once he's back on his feet? My oh has never ridden before so not quite the same but he fancies trying it so I'm going to book him a lesson on one of the rs horses as while H will plods round the school most of the time he can also do a nice 180 degree spin if he suddenly spots a piece of sand he doesn't like. He perfectly demonstrated the sideways jump ability to oh when he watched my lesson at the weekend - having spent half an hour before going over the same spot we were cooling down when he decided to jump sideways. I won't put OH on him as I don't want him to be put off.
It sounds like you bought your horse to share and have fun hacking out with which is really nice but do you want one of you to get scared and lose the fun? As it would be a shame for that to happen and I know if I kept getting tanked off with by a 17hh horse I definitely would be scared.

Last edited:

meesha

Visit site
OP and OH, what we are all saying is take care, look after yourselves and each other. It is up to you what you do... but ....do a risk assessment.

Also to add, your horse probably loved hunting and if you asked him what he would most like as a job I suspect hunting would be it! If you sell him to a hunting home you will not be letting him down.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Eta- I understand the love- mine was definitely a heart over head buy as I'd previously loaned him while he was in old yos riding school he then had to be taken out of it as every little thing was scaring him. He would have had an uncertain future if he'd been sold as he takes some understanding as he's neurotic. I still fully understand him don't even after 7 years with him!!
But he won't go in a horse box so unless there is a show at the yard I keep him at we can't compete. We can't box up and go on beach rides.
I accept this as I knew it when I bought him but it would have been nice to do be able to do all those things.
Op sounds like you and oh both love hacking - so do I! Would you want to risk being unable to do that because Arthur won't?

Wishfilly

Visit site
It sounds like the horse in it's current state could potentially go back to the dealers and have a potential future as a hunting horse, or be sold to an experienced home and have a future. If you are really happy to keep him as an un-ridden field ornament with your donkeys, then by all means keep him but at the moment it's not fair on anyone (least of all the horse, who could suffer a serious injury himself) to keep riding him out.

A sensible first step would be to get the vet and have someone professional check the fit of all his tack to rule out pain as a cause of his behaviour. I would say this needs to be done before you ride him again and certainly before you ask anyone else to ride him. It is very likely the advert was lying/exaggerating, but equally this could be a sudden change in behaviour due to pain.

To be honest, it sounds like your husband really needs more instruction at a good riding school (perhaps one with a focus on riding out and adult beginners) before you have him riding any horse on the road.

If the horse was being ridden on private land only, well away from anyone else, then I'd say it's up to you and your perception of the risks. However, you really are underestimating the risk you pose to other members of the public. What if after bolting today he had met another vulnerable road user (motorcyclist, cyclist, pedestrian, or even another horse rider)? Can you not see that there is potential for serious injury or death for not just you, who've chosen to take on this risk, but other members of the public who have a reasonable expectation that you're not riding an animal you can't control on the road?

9tails

Visit site
Only if we believed in Darwin's Law, would we be actively encouraging you to buy another horse alongside this horse. This horse is likely to only come good with professional help and a competent rider.

paddi22

Visit site
This thread should be printed and framed as the first time everyone has every agreed on a topic, never seen it happen before!

oldie48

Visit site
I have been bolted with once in my life on a horse that you could have put your granny on. I was riding in company with one other horse that had never in the 10 years that I'd had him ever bolted. I have no idea what the horses saw or heard or could smell but both went. I was behind on a single track lane, there was nowhere to turn and both horses were in complete flight mode. It was terrifying. If either horse had been on his own, I have no doubt we could have pulled up but the combination of two bolting horses is a very different situation as they "feed" off each other. My friend managed to pull into a gateway and I went past and was starting to gain control, unfortunately she fell off and before I could stop, I was overtaken by a riderless horse, now even more panicked. When we eventually shot out of the track on to a busier road, I managed to turn right whilst the lead horse went left and I was able to pull up. No, I don't think OP should buy another horse whilst the first one is bolting with her.
Only if we believed in Darwin's Law, would we be actively encouraging you to buy another horse alongside this horse. This horse is likely to only come good with professional help and a competent rider.

paddi22

Visit site
ha, i know! someone will come on now and say he just needs a treeless saddle and micronised linseed!

9tails

Visit site
I have been bolted with once in my life on a horse that you could have put your granny on. I was riding in company with one other horse that had never in the 10 years that I'd had him ever bolted. I have no idea what the horses saw or heard or could smell but both went. I was behind on a single track lane, there was nowhere to turn and both horses were in complete flight mode. It was terrifying. If either horse had been on his own, I have no doubt we could have pulled up but the combination of two bolting horses is a very different situation as they "feed" off each other. My friend managed to pull into a gateway and I went past and was starting to gain control, unfortunately she fell off and before I could stop, I was overtaken by a riderless horse, now even more panicked. When we eventually shot out of the track on to a busier road, I managed to turn right whilst the lead horse went left and I was able to pull up. No, I don't think OP should buy another horse whilst the first one is bolting with her.

Stuff of nightmares!

paddi22

Visit site
really hope they get it sorted. I'd imagine there's no way that man would let his wife drive if there was a chance their car would just go out of control and speed off on them suddenly. i can't see why a horse would be any different.

Irish gal

Visit site
Now OP I don't mean to be unkind at all but I think you are in a very dangerous situation. You say you love this horse, then do the best thing for him and your family's safety - sell him.

IDs are very clever, he already knows he can mess you about and I have no doubt that he will continue. And how do you know this isn't a problem he already had long before you bought him and you were basically sold a problem horse.

I wouldn't let your husband near him, in terms of riding on the road or leading him there. He's simply not experienced enough. He's already badly injured and will no doubt now have osteo-arthritis as a result of the broken bones, that's just the result of breaks I'm afraid, but at least he's not a paraplegic - you might not be so lucky next time.

There's nothing scarier than an out of control, massive 1200 kg, bold horse. Sell him or give him away to the kind of expert who can do you and the horse a great favour by sorting him out. You're putting yourself in danger by attempting to do a job that is simply beyond you at the present time. I really wish you good luck with this problem.

oldie48

Visit site
Well my friend lost her confidence completely and really hasn't ridden again despite having been quite a competent and confident rider. No-one was injured but we were so lucky not to have met something on the single track lane, someone up there must have been looking after us. I was told that someone else had a similar incident on a very safe cob in the same area on the same day. Now, I'm ready for expressions of disbelief but I'm told there is a "black cat" that comes through about every 2 months, a farmer frequently loses lambs/sheep and there have been sightings of it but not by me or anyone I know personally. Both horses knew the route, are excellent to hack and if they do the occasional spook, come back to you in a matter of a couple of strides. Neither of us saw or heard anything to explain what happened, all I can say is that both horses bolted in blind panic. I just hope it never happens to me again.
Jeez, indeed!!! Hope everyone was ok in the end.

Stockers

Visit site
Crumbs. Just read all 15 pages. No hint of bullying - just some very good, solid, common sense advice that was asked for.

Not getting the desired response to a question does not render the advice giver(s) a 'bully/bullies'.

It is obvious OP is going to keep said horse in which case I think the only advice I'd give is now up your public liability insurance. When an accident involving a third party does occur chances are your disclosure of his behaviour on a public forum and seeming refusal to acknowledge possible consequences may not stand you in good stead if a court action arises.

But I do wish you well and hope it doesn't come to that.

edited for spelling

skint1

Visit site
Well my friend lost her confidence completely and really hasn't ridden again despite having been quite a competent and confident rider. No-one was injured but we were so lucky not to have met something on the single track lane, someone up there must have been looking after us. I was told that someone else had a similar incident on a very safe cob in the same area on the same day. Now, I'm ready for expressions of disbelief but I'm told there is a "black cat" that comes through about every 2 months, a farmer frequently loses lambs/sheep and there have been sightings of it but not by me or anyone I know personally. Both horses knew the route, are excellent to hack and if they do the occasional spook, come back to you in a matter of a couple of strides. Neither of us saw or heard anything to explain what happened, all I can say is that both horses bolted in blind panic. I just hope it never happens to me again.

Interesting about the black cat, of course the horses would be much more aware of something like that even if it wasn't yet in your line of sight, even if they'd never encountered one before (and why would they have?!) they'd just know it smelled like something to fear. I am sorry to hear about your friend's loss of confidence, I hope she gets back to enjoying her riding again. I am not the most brave of riders anyway so I can't even imagine how I'd feel after an experience like that. It just goes to show though how unpredictable hacking out can be, even if you have absolute trust in your horse.

oldie48

Visit site
It happened about three years ago and friend now has a child and I guess has other priorities. Interestingly, although I'm also not the bravest rider I didn't have any problems hacking the same route, perhaps because I felt it was a complete "one off" and I trusted both horses implicitly. However, there is no way you would get me on a horse that bolted if it met sheep, had cars too close etc these are things we meet each and every day we hack. Last week on a very narrow bridge we met 3 childcare workers from our local nursery, each pushing a triple buggy decked out in bright orange. Mr B walked past totally unconcerned. the horse I was riding on THAT day (now sold as the perfect hack) coped with buses, tractors and trailers, in fact anything!
Interesting about the black cat, of course the horses would be much more aware of something like that even if it wasn't yet in your line of sight, even if they'd never encountered one before (and why would they have?!) they'd just know it smelled like something to fear. I am sorry to hear about your friend's loss of confidence, I hope she gets back to enjoying her riding again. I am not the most brave of riders anyway so I can't even imagine how I'd feel after an experience like that. It just goes to show though how unpredictable hacking out can be, even if you have absolute trust in your horse.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I feel sorry for the OP, and sorry for the horse who is so clearly unsuitable. A heavy hunter who's used to charging around over all sorts of countryside just shouldn't be sold as suitable for a novice to hack around on. I was also sorry for the OH who sustained serious injuries, until he started throwing accusations of bullying around. Now I think they'll probably ignore everything said on here and carry on their own sweet way. And it will end in tears. We've all seen it coming.

Micropony

Visit site
I feel sorry for the OP, and sorry for the horse who is so clearly unsuitable. A heavy hunter who's used to charging around over all sorts of countryside just shouldn't be sold as suitable for a novice to hack around on. I was also sorry for the OH who sustained serious injuries, until he started throwing accusations of bullying around. Now I think they'll probably ignore everything said on here and carry on their own sweet way. And it will end in tears. We've all seen it coming.

I really hope not. I have read lots of threads on here where people have shared their opinions and advice and I've thought "steady on, that's a bit strong!", but this isn't one of them. A few people have been quite blunt, but I think everyone's been very constructive and actually quite aware of the OP's feelings.

I really hope that after the OP and her OH have had chance to reflect, they will take some advice from a sensible professional who's able to see them and the horse, and who I fully expect will give very similar advice to what's been said on here. I really wish this couple well, and hope they manage to resolve this without more serious injury to themselves or an innocent bystander, and without *******ing up the poor horse to the extent its chances of a happy life are blighted after they have realised they've got to the end of the road with it.

goldenchestnut

Visit site
OP, i quickly realised that my confidence and ability wasn't what i thought it was when i bought my horse. I loved him and thought things will get better with time. I had lessons and took things slowly spending lots of time doing ground work. Until the day i had an awful accident out on the road and came close to death. It wasn't the horses fault but i really wasn't the rider he needed. After that he became the elephant in the room that nobody talks about. A lovely animal that we all loved with great protential but what was i to do about him. After 2 years i decided i really must sell him on as he was totally wasted with me. As soon as i had made the decission a great black cloud was lifted off me and i knew it was right. I have never regreted selling him on even though i loved him to bits. Please be honest with yourself about what you really need.