should you be rich to own a horse??

eekmon

Visit site
No way! Im not rich
smile.gif
Think I would be a bit better off if I didn't have a horse! But waiting for stirrup leathers is not exactly cruelty!!
shocked.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think that the "snobby" bit comes from the fact that horses ARE expensive to keep. I dont know how you would keep one on a "budget" as such. But then I do love to buy mine the latest rugs etc. simply because they fit better than cheap ones etc.

I dont think you can compete on a budget! I do BE and BSJA all year round with 3 horses out and about every weekend, this is where ALL my money goes!!

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
an interesting one this, well you need to work bloomin hard to keep them. I have a hard time from my partner he has never liked me having my horses owned them for years so part of the package. he would never pay for them not one dot so all the money i earn goes on them and running my car. But hey i love them to bits and they are great company

merlins-mum

community.webshots.com
if you were rich before, you won't be after!

What pisses me off though is people who own horses but *can't* afford to keep them - always late with the rent; 'borrowing' hay and bedding when they can't get their own; or putting the horse in the field 24/7 and not paying the full grass rent - while their horse eats the grass that I am paying for.

- or are they all just at my yard?

Allykat

Visit site
I think in this day you need to be richer to own a house or run a car than own a horse!! As long as incoming is a few pence more than outgoing you dont have to be rich to have a horse. I live with my mum at home, we both work full time and we have a horse each on part livery. I pay for all of mine and mum has a sharer for hers.....we still have money to live off, we dont go out much, dont have extravagant holidays but the horses will always come first.

When I do get rich I'll probably have a little holiday then buy myself a house with land
smile.gif

L

lilym

where you don't have to save for anything, you can afford to just go and buy
grin.gif

L

lilym

of course you can keep one on a budget........see this is the sort of mindset i was referring to.......you don't really need all the latest gadgets, rugs etc, i buy the best i can afford, but i have my rugs washed and reproofed each season as is way cheaper than new ones, where as some people just chuck the old ones out and buy new!
competing is expensive i have to agree, a day out showing can cost £50 upwards, and i dread to think what eventing is now, so i don't envy you there!!
smirk.gif

lottie1990

www.myspace.com
i find it funny with the snobby people because when i was in pony club some parents went out and brought ponies for the kids that cost thousands that have done everything, me and my mom buy all rounder cheap pony (no where near the price of what the parents pay for theirs) and i remember winning against them on these ponies in show jumping- so funny! lol- Money cant buy you anything and i dont agree about people have to be rich to own horses, just depends on how much the owner is willing to spend on their pony/horse

Tia

Visit site
Well being "rich" is very subjective. "Rich" to one person is laughable however the same "rich" to another is loaded!!

I think the crux of the matter is not pounds, shillings and pence that comes into your bank account each month.....but how you use it! Horses need necessities and if you can afford these PLUS having a bit tucked away for the odd emergency or rainy day then yes you could be able to keep a horse I would think.

Personally I would rather not have a horse unless I could afford ALL of the above - but then that is just my own personal preference.

PoppyPony

Visit site
i have two part time jobs (nights and weekends) and I'm in college full time and I have to pay for everything myself - i work hard and save up so my horse gets the best he can - my saddle cost £1300 2nd hand (it used to be his and it's under a year old) and i'm getting another one as a companion for him - i'm incredibly broke as all of my money goes on him - i'm certainly not rich!