Shoulder in help for rider

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I am hoping you lovely people can give me some tip on how to ride shoulder in.

I can get a 10 m circle using the outside rein and leg whilst flexing the inside rein and using the inside leg. However if I try to pop into shoulder in I completely lose the ability to use my aids correctly.

Does anyone have any tips please?

I am hoping to nail the shoulder in at walk so I can move up to trot soon.

Horse is used to the aids because as soon as my instructor sits on him, he's able to do it, so it is me who is holding him back.

I know if I cannot master the outside rein issue in shoulder in, I wont be able to move forward with my movements.

Any help is appreciated!

Batgirl

Visit site
Difficult without seeing you but my issue was putting my leg too far back (essentially attempting to control the quarters but failing) so make sure your leg is used on the girth. Also making sure your weight is central (I was leaning over subconsciously to encourage and actually blocking him). Hope that is vaguely helpful :)

Marydoll

Visit site
I like to shoulder in along the long side of the arena, i normally turn my head and body 30 degrees to the inside, lead with my outside shoulder and glance up the track with my perpheral vision, i weight my inside seatbone slightly and think step and nudge, step and nudge

Simon Battram

Visit site
The first step of the 10m circle is the positioning for the shoulder-in so if you can ride onto a 10m circle then you can place the shoulders over so there is hope!!

Firstly make sure that you are not over thinking or over aiding in the straight line or 10m circle. Invite the horse to do the job and then leave him alone to get on with said job. This will help keep your aids to a minimum and the horse more responsive.

What actually happens when you do ask for the shoulder-in? May give more of a clue as to what needs tweaking.

Kikke

Visit site
Maybe a silly thing to say but if you have a instructor that can do it, should he or she not be able to explain it to you? No one better then then person standing there.
Maybe you could do with some fresh eyes on the ground (not meaning to be rude or disrespectful at all!)

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies :)
I will try all your advice tomorrow when I sit on him next.
When I ask (well I think I'm asking correctly) for the shoulder in I get a few correct steps then I forget that I have two legs! I completely stop using my outside hand and leg, then I over use my inside aids. It's really frustrating because I know I'm doing it but I can't seem to correct it.
Kikke not offence taken, but I like your idea. My instructor is very good (coached and ridden to 4star, god I hope that's an event level!) but having a fresh pair of eyes is never a bad idea. She has even walked along side me telling the aids and I still muddle them up as soon as I'm left on my own!