Shoulder laneness - any experience anyone?

clairencappelli

Visit site
My horse suddenly went lame in the show ring last sunday ( im going to fess up here and admit that i was called in unexpectedly and had only been trotting for 3 mins before - bad mother i am
blush.gif
).

Fine in the group ride in walk, trot and canter on both reins then when the judge got on sh suddenly went lame but only in trot- she was ok in walk. The ground in the ring was good expect the back where the grass was long and there were some large holes and it was rutty in places.

So i left the ring and when i took her home and decided to leave her out in a small field incase she had pulled a muscle.

She look much worse on monday morning and was lame in walk and 2 10ths and about 4 10ths in trot. So i put her on box rest and spoke to my vet who said just box rest and bute for 2 days then when its out of her system friday trot up and if still lame ring her back.

There is no swelling of heat in the leg anywhere( she has an old fetlock injury - cartledge- but theres nothing there so vet says thats not likey to be the cause).

Farrier checked her feet to rule out nything foot related and they are fine and im 99% sure it coming from the shoulder as her movement is different to when she was lame on her fetlcok.

I trotted her up and she was still slightly lame in trot so carried on with bute which has been stopped as of last night so its exits her system before monday as thats when the vet is coming out to see her.

If they cant really find much i will ask them if i can call my physio or chiro. I dont think they will find much as i know shoulder can be very difficult to diagonse becuase of the amount of soft tissues in them.

I think its most likey to be a sprain or a strain but obv want the vet to see her but wondered if anyone else has had a laneness come on like that?

My girl is tough so when shes lame i know she hurts.

ischa

Visit site
clare that cob in my field went lame quite a while back it came on suddenly he was at sues at the time
after having alook myself i came to the conclusion it was in his shoulder
after having the vet out she also dianosed it to be a shoulder injury and after a few wks bute and box rest he became sound again
mind you he was litually climbing the walls
hes never had a problem since
i would try this ,i had a bottle for when mine had a injury to leg but can also be used for area such as shoulder its brilliant stuff https://www.hanleyshorses.com/Shop/produ...6a0451705efa2c7

sqippa

Visit site
My old boy went very, unexpectedly lame with no visible cause. After exhaustive investigations over weeks, including nerve blocks, x-rays etc, and a red herring of bruissed coffin joinmt and poedal oestitis we finally pinned it down to his elbow joint. Vet was very unhappy with x-rays and sent him off to Liphook for bone scans where he had the 'hottest' scan they had ever seen. Joint was so inflammed there was virtually no joint space on his x-rays. Diagnosis was extensor tendon evulsion and stress fracture. 5 months box rest later we were able to turn him out on high doses of bute.

We were not expecting him to do anything other than have a summer out before being pts before winter as he was so bad. I got a new horse expecting the worst however to everyone's amazement he just kept slowly getting better. 22 months after the original injury he was sound, off bute and back in work. He was 18 years old! Elbow never gave him any trouble after that.

Fingers crossed it is just a strain but even if it isn't it is anazing what time can do if you have got it!

Sqip

Daytona

Visit site
my mare is at peak fitness (eventing) never had a single problem with her, had the physio out 4 weeks ago to check her over, she picked up her front leg and pulled it forward slightly to stretch it (by no means over stretch or with any force) then let it go again and she would not put it back down for about 5 mins, finally we got her to put her leg down but she was HOPPING lame and walked really weird with it - like totally exaggeratedly massive forward step - its hard to explain, the physio was in shock she was like OMG never have i seen this or made a horse lame. so i left her a couple of days thinking maybe she had strained it but she was no better, called vet 7 days later - he was like she is 4/5 lame in walk and he said it was coming from sholder area but said no way could a human pull a horses muscle we dont have the strength so it was not physio fault, stuck her on B/R with bute for 4 days then came back to scan it it for STD, nothing showed up so bute for another week then off bute after the bute so 2.5 weeks after it happened totally sound again and is still sound now (4 weeks) i have to start riding her from monday but take it easy!

Totaly mystery....???? Vet still has no idea what happened??

ischa

Visit site
hope clare doesnt mind me posting
cappelli has been taken into vets due to her lameness getting worse and also effecting her other legs vets do not now whats wrong so
shes got to have blood tests taken
all i will say is get well soon cappelli

georgiegirl

Visit site
similar situation to my mare and it turned out to be a suspensory ligament. (particulary seen more on lunge but still v slight)

we thought it was shoulder at first but as vet told us there are very few that actually damage a shoulder.

if shes no better within a week or so i'd be thinking about getting the vet out for a lameness workout. fingers crossed its just a pulled muscle