Show for showing class?

spider

community.webshots.com
Could anyone tell me the best formula to follow when doing a show for the judge?
Also what is the etiquette for passing people in the ring or should you circle? At the last show I went to the judge said I needed to learn some ringcraft, so I guess i got it wrong!

Stinkywellies

Visit site
When you first go into the ring you will all walk, trot and canter round as a group. If you get too close to the person in front circle to find a space to slot into, but dont circle infront of the judge otherwise you will obstruct thier view!

When you do your show, try to keep it fairly short and its to show a walk trot and canter on both reins and one gallop.

Good luck i am sure you will be fine. Maybe try to get there a bit earlier to watch a couple of other classes too. That will give you some ideas for you individual show too.

Have fun and enjoy it!
smile.gif

dsophiea

Visit site
i walk away, trot back, change diagonal, canter in the next corner, do a figure of eight in canter, then do a gallop down the long side and salute to the judge. sorry if thats really confusing
smile.gif
i always thank the judge after my show when i go to line up.
you shouldn't need to pass people really but if you are stuck behind someone slower turn a small circle, i always make use of the corners to, as i feel if i do too many circles it looks like im constantly trying to catch the judge's eye and they don't tend to like it.
don't worry to much, just remember to enjoy yourselve
smile.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
When in the line up waiting to been individually, make sure your horse has not fallen asleep so get his attention when the one before you is finishing off.

When you present yourself, don't plonk yourself right in front of the judge, the judges eye needs to cast over the whole picture and she should not have to move out of your way. Stand sqaure and a little smile always helps.

Walk away and do somethng short and sweet, figure of 8 trot and canter, use the ring and don't cut/rush round the corners, a short gallop (well fast canter) down the long length but don't stick the brakes on right at the last minute, it needs to smooth and controlled and show that your horse will push on without pony club kicking it to death down the ring side.

If you horse goes better on one rein than the other make sure you finish on that rein, for example if you horse get the wrong leg for falls in/out etc or stiff etc get that over with first so your last impression...and gallop is on the better rein rather than the sticky one.

Remember to go back into a nice active walk calmly back towards the judge, again stand your square near her not on top of her (or he) and if you can a nice short rein back, walk back into original position and little salute and say thank you and return back to the line up.

When riding round as a group, get yourself into a nice space, making sure there is plenty space in front of you and the next horse because they may go at a slower pace, if you do need to pass, do small circle back in but look first and work out where you going to join back in, its rude to push back infront of people specially when your all cantering around.

If you have a number make sure you know it, some stewards call you in by number rather than nodding at you.

When waiting to be picked don't gaze at the judge constantly like your desperate, just keep on careful eye on the steward but look where you are going.

Good Luck

smile.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
You need to make sure you are not cut up and constantly riding your horse forwards, not stopping and starting due to people going too slow.
I usually take note of the horses and the ones I know I wont need to overtake I slot behind them, Obviously not nose to tail but then I dont have to bother about constantly overtaking people.

And as for the show, some judges tell you what they want you to do others dont.
My show is stand for the judge, then walk away for a few strides the trot in the corner canter change rein at next corner in trot. Then hit the track and canter then as you get to the long side extend, three quarters of the way down though I will get my canter back so im doing nice canter again round the corner back to trot walk and halt and salute.

Its a nice short show, I do alter my shows slightly depending the way we are lined up etc. If I see a better place to extend I will alter it so I can extend that way etc.

nicolaread

Visit site
i think the other suggestions are pretty spot on, but a few little cheeky hints 2 get u noticed perhaps a little more than others in the ring.

As you wait out side the ring to enter the class evaluate the other horses, + then walk into the ring behind the horse that you would deem to be of lesser quality than your own (i dont mean 2 sound nasty 2 the other horse, but there is bound 2 b 1 there that you dont think is as nice as your own horse) give yourself lots of space!

When doing your individual show, keep it short + sweet!! or the judge will get bored! trot + canter on both reins, figures of eight r perfect + depending on how nice your horses paces r use the diagonals to show off the quality of the pace. when you gallop neva gallop behind the line up! the judge cant c a thing when you do that!! + collect up in the corner before you gallop to show off the extension that little bit more, + then allow lots of room to slow down so you dont come to an obrupt stop! lol some classes do not require you to gallop so check that out before you go, veterans for example. + dont forget you must b in correct dress. have fun!!!

Kenzo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i think the other suggestions are pretty spot on, but a few little cheeky hints 2 get u noticed perhaps a little more than others in the ring.

As you wait out side the ring to enter the class evaluate the other horses, + then walk into the ring behind the horse that you would deem to be of lesser quality than your own (i dont mean 2 sound nasty 2 the other horse, but there is bound 2 b 1 there that you dont think is as nice as your own horse) give yourself lots of space!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dam I missed that one...don't give all the secrets away lol
grin.gif

L

lilym

Keep your show short and sweet - there is nothing worse than an individual that goes on and on and on and on...................wlak out in front of the judge and halt square, I then walk away a few stides and go into a trot then i start a figure of 8 trot the first loop, extend across the diagonal, then in the next corner i canter a loop - I always canter the first loop on the horse's worst rein, as this is the shortest canter! then back to trot halfway across the diagonal, set up to canter the next loop and extend/gallop on the better rein, take notice of the ring too, if there is a slope you want to be galloping UP it - this will make your horse look like it's paces are much more uphill, rather than galloping down a slope that will make your horse looks like he is on the forehand....When entering the ring, look at the competiton, try not to get stuck behind a small pony if you are on a big striding horse!! if you need to circle away do it behind the judge or else it will look like you are blocking other competitors. Always ask if you can overtake if you really must, and again do it behind the judge! Remember to have fun!!