show gear/class questions

pixiebee

Visit site
im going to a show on the 10th june, and have a few classes in mind, the first being BEST FAMILY HORSE OR PONY, it says to be ridden by either adult or child- I know that my pony would have to be in a snaffle, but what gear would i need to wear, my tweed jacket is much smarter than my old navy one, would this be ok? also i have brown short boots but could borrow some black ones.(cant wear long boots im too short! hehe) also my hat is a harry hall impact (one with silver bits on it)-i cant show in that can i?????????
the other classes are
BEST HORSE OR PONY FOR USE IN RIDING CLUB ACTIVITIES
AND
BEST HORSE OR PONY TO HUNT WITH LOCAL PACK
then it says that for the above 2 classes you are expected to jump one obstacle. it doesnt say what height that is???????
what would i have to do for the above classes and what dress/tack????????????
confused.gif

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
Your gear is nearly perfect - tweed jacket, beige/canary jods, shirt and tie, and brown short boots if you're on a pony. If you're on a horse bigger than 15hh I'd consider trying to borrow/find some black long boots (I'm short too, and have difficulty finding ones short enough, but they're out there, or you can buy ones and have them made shorter for about £20). Your hat isn't ideal - could you borrow a velvet covered hat or skull cap with blue or black cover? It's not the end of the world if you're in a showjumping type hat, but if you could borrow a different one it would be better.

What you wear is the same for all the classes. Your tack should be a plain bridle (with a plain browband and noseband), with a snaffle, and a leather saddle with discrete girth and fitted numnah (usually brown or black).

The size of the jump can vary from show to show, if it worries you, ask the secretary. I've seen them anything from a tiny cross pole to about 2ft9.

Good luck

spooks

Visit site
cant help on the showing front but the difference between a scurry and normal jumping class is that the scurry is as said, one round against the clock and if you knock any fences down they add seconds onto your time. basically the fastest round wins.

at our local shows,the jump in the classes you mention is usually around 2ft 3, ive never seen them any higher than 2ft 6 even in the horses only class. hope this helps

pixiebee

Visit site
thanks for the advice, what is the jumping class that you have to jump as many jumps as you can in a set time, they are not in a particular order, you choose your own?? my major problem with jumping is remembering the right order-which is why i rarely enter.lol
with the pony to hunt with local pack class, what would the judge be looking for?? and what sort of show would they expect me to do???

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
The hunting pony class they'll obviously be looking for a pony to go hunting on. Different judges will have different opinions on this, but they'll all be looking for a safe pony that looks like it would withstand a day's hunting and give a good ride. They'll expect a normal show (a bit of trot, a canter on each rein) plus a good gallop, which is important for a hunter, and they'll want you to jump the jump in good style. Some might ask for a rein back or turn on the forehand, which can be useful for getting through small gaps or gates out hunting.