Show groom???

AoifeT

Visit site
What should I wear as a friends working hunter groom at a show coming up??? Any advice and pointers on what I have to do would also be greatly appreciated!! :D

Spot On

Visit site
Just or grooming anything tidy you don't mind getting dirty, depending on the show if you are entering the ring ie walk course or strip the pony you will need a hat. Your friend if that have been showing before will know how they like things done and will tell you how they want it. Bring an old t-cloth or rag or sweaty pony, reins and to dust off boots

AoifeT

Visit site
Oh thank you!! Also, by hat, do you mean riding hat or what?? This is the main bit confusing me!! :p

Spot On

Visit site
No nesscarily really any hat will do its a sign of respect and tradition however and riding hat would pass. BTW are you in northern Ireland if so what show are you going to? I might be able to tell you how that how does things/ whats best for that show

AoifeT

Visit site
Do you know the Castlewellan show?? It's not that big, like an agricultural show so probably isn't that formal!

Spot On

Visit site
Yeah you will be fine without a hat and chances of them stripping the ponies there are very slim. Make sure your friend has studs in her pony for that show. Has your friend been showing before

AoifeT

Visit site
Yeah she goes quite a bit but is mainly focused on show jumping, but I reckon she'll know how it goes!!

only_me

Visit site
Castlewellan is a big enough show, I would count it as big as armagh or Saintfield :)

Is a pony working hunter or the horse classes?
in the pony classes they are not usually stripped and instead they have a show piece to do, so as a groom you won't have to enter the ring.

Horse classes can differ, some shows just jump and then do their show piece or jump and then get called back into the ring to be stripped and then the judge rides, in the latter you would need to come into the ring. I think you will be ok to not wear a hat tbh, its really only at the RDS that the grooms wear one but you would need to be dressed smart enough :)

Spot On

Visit site
Castlewellan is a big enough show, I would count it as big as armagh or Saintfield :)

Is a pony working hunter or the horse classes?
in the pony classes they are not usually stripped and instead they have a show piece to do, so as a groom you won't have to enter the ring.

Horse classes can differ, some shows just jump and then do their show piece or jump and then get called back into the ring to be stripped and then the judge rides, in the latter you would need to come into the ring. I think you will be ok to not wear a hat tbh, its really only at the RDS that the grooms wear one but you would need to be dressed smart enough :)

IPS summer and winter Championships, Northern Ireland Festival and Equifest all ask for you to have a hat on as a groom and also judges do strip WHP regularly.

only_me

Visit site
IPS summer and winter Championships, Northern Ireland Festival and Equifest all ask for you to have a hat on as a groom and also judges do strip WHP regularly.

When I was doing WHP we rarely had to strip; only at Dublin and NI festival. Oh and Balmoral.
I was in the 153cm class and never had to strip at any of the county/agri shows, equifest wasn't around when I did WHP!
I never saw a groom with a hat on for WHP except at dublin, my dad groomed for me at dublin and he certainly never wore one! Very few of the other parents wore hats for WHP; although they were smartly dressed. And we were still successful, with many wins and top placings :)
Although it was a while ago I still can't believe the ponies that we competed against then are still doing WHP, some with the original riders!
Watching some of the WHP classes at shows recently I haven't seen any stripped, they all do their show piece instead.
Horses generally always have a ride judge and have to strip, but it depends on size of class and time as well, but again I rarely see a groom with a hat on.
I don't show that much anymore due to Bill having an outside splint but I still watch them :)

Spot On

Visit site
I mainly do IPS as in the south and while not every show strips several do and its best to be prepared. I knows its mad I currently only to in hand as retired my Intermediate and its weird seeing 12hh going around that were competing against me 15 years ago :O

only_me

Visit site
Oh I agree, always prepare to be stripped but I mainly showed in NI, where it was rare to do so. It would be more common for horse workers to strip but not every show is able to get a ride judge (and some are not riders I would want on my horse...) so in horse classes still need to have a show piece just in case :p

OP if you dress smartly but practical and if you have joddy boots I would wear those, as you don't want to be trodden on in a pair of pumps!

Some of the ponies doing it when we were competing were old then, they must be ancient now!

Spot On

Visit site
Oh god yeah like we have one that's was about 16 yrs old when we were doing first riddens and its still around.

I do Horse showing on the flat every once and a while but not WH.

OP if you are holding the horse/pony when the rider is walking the course id advice keeping him/her walking

AoifeT

Visit site
Oh thank you guys!!! Yes it's working hunter horses, which is why I assumed they would be stripped, also would a pair of longer boots be fine as well, was thinking of wearing my toggi canyons??? Were any of you at Armagh show this year??? :)

AoifeT

Visit site
Oh lucky!! I can't wait!! My neighbour/person I groom for has one competing in the international 7 and 8 year olds and (hopefully) will be in the final of it on Sunday, so I'll be using that to have a sneak round the stables!! ;)

Spot On

Visit site
oh wow nice one of my friends is trying to qualify his 5 year for the 4 & 5 year of championship. Think he might be in the young riders as well but not sure.

Sheep

Visit site

I love that a showing person has referred to Saintfield as 'big' - I don't mean that to sound patronising - just I had my showing debut there a few weeks ago and won a class, I am now feeling a renewed sense of pride / ego :D

Good luck OP!