Show Jumping in France

Woody Le Bois

Visit site
Hello!!
I have just moved to France with my horse and we both love it here. I have recently started thinking about competing him (show jumping and some eventing). My French is not great and from what I gathered from friends at the yard and internet is that I need a licence to compete in France and have my horse registered. The French Equestrian Federation website is quite complicated and of course in French so it's hard for me to make sense of it all.
Does any one know anything about this French licencing process (how do I even apply?)? Maybe someone has any experience with competing in France and would be able to help?
Thank you in advance :D

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Probably not the best person to answer but I think the system is similar to that in Spain which for affiliated show jumping you need to do tests (Gallops) ie. to jump 90 cm you need to have taken Gallop 3 (I think it was a while ago) and then you take another written test when you want to move up to a metre and so on. You also have to be registered with a federation. I think most people join riding clubs at local equestrian centres and they would be able to help you with registration etc.
Sorry if thats totally not the right thing but I was discussing it with my Spanish SJer friend and she said the two systems were quite similar and you had not replies yet :S

JCWHITE

Visit site
Hi. there may be more getting started info on Forums like French Entree, and Anglo info. There is an overseas forum on here too.
For the time being I would suggest finding your local Club, from the FFE website, they can arrange so much for you.
Lyon has the wonderful show in autumn at Eurexpo, and has just hosted the World Cup finals for dressage and jumping, so I would think there is a lot of interest in your area,
However I am a days drive from you, and do compete here so if you would like to pm me, please do.