Show make up

Fiona

Visit site
Apologies if any of this has already been said but I haven't read all replies yet! If you really don't want to wear makeup then don't! It's totally your choice and comes down to what you're comfortable with.

If you do, here are some tips that I find work as someone who loves makeup and glam for shows!

For makeup that will stay on through riding...

Before even starting makeup, exfoliating and even shaving your face (completely normal for ladies to have a bit o' facial hair but creating a smooth, moisturised base will improve the look of any base makeup tenfold).

PRIMER IS KEY!! There are so many different types at different prices but the best one I've tried is this one.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/F...xUKq2Lxn0hfb-6i6hFBoCkF4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Goes on under foundation/tinted moisturiser. Rub it in, pack it a bit more on places pores are more pronounced (so for me that's over my nose). Give it a minute to settle into your skin before applying foundation/bb cream/whatever you're using as a base.

Then finish that with powder. You can also take the powder along to touch up if you fancy throughout the day.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Face/Face-Powder/e-l-f-B-Bare-Finishing-Powder-Fair-Light/p/735273

Make sure you're blending down under your chin and down your neck to avoid any lines. You might think it looks weird and not like skin texture but I promise nobody else will notice.

Depending on your brows and the colour/thickness of the hairs you may or may not want to fill them in.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/E...e-l-f-Instant-Lift-Brow-Pencil-Taupe/p/735216

If using a sheer foundation/bb cream I don't bother with blush as when I warm up you can still see the redness slightly anyway, so adding blush on top of that makes me look a bit crazy!!

For lips, cheap creamy lipsticks in the twist up tubes are useless and don't last. A liquid one with satin finish is better. Tip is don't choose one that's your exact lip shade, go very slightly darker.
These say matte but I've found they dry to satin.
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/L...eup-Soft-Matte-Lip-Cream---Stockholm/p/773237

Mascara 100% needs to be waterproof and I wouldn't go without it if any other makeup on as it almost makes it more obv you're wearing makeup when your lashes are bare. I quite like using brown mascara when going for a really neutral look!
https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Eye-Makeup/Mascara/Rimmel-100%-Waterproof-Mascara-Brown-2/p/786889

I recommend coconut oil for taking it all off as it literally just dissolves it off your face, especially more stubborn waterproof products.

Seems like a lot of products but I promise it's not! And if you practise a couple of times before show day you'll be a dab hand in no time :p

Edited to add: deffo worth buying a beauty sponge to apply base makeup with. Get it damp but not wet under the tap (cold water) then use it to buff base makeup into your skin in patting motions to avoid streaks and make it look natural as poss :)

I'm mainly commenting so that I can read RO's reply again before I go to the chemist.....

OP good luck with whatever you decide, but as long as you still look natural you will be fine...

Fiona

Snowfilly

Visit site
As a woman who’s worn makeup 6 times in her life, this thread is just confirming why I normally stick to jumping!

I’ve sprayed myself with fly repellant and sun cream before now for the show ring but that’s it. Why on earth would it matter and how much can they see your face under a hat anyway?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think a lot of it comes down to if you wear make up every day wearing it at a show doesn't seem out of the ordinary, for someone who never wears make up I can imagine it would seem odd to suddenly start putting on for a show.

conniegirl

Visit site
Wearing makeup for the show ring makes sense.
You are creating a picture, it is all supposed to be graceful, elegant, serene and easy. If you look as pale as a ghost, about to pass out or utterly terrified then judges will wonder why. Is the horse/pony strong, is the rider waiting for it to explode out from under them, is the horse a difficult ride and the rider only just managing?

i wear makeup in the show ring because without it i could scare small children which is also not a good look!

fetlock

Visit site
If you go with anything, I'd go with a tinted moisturiser and leave it at that.
Nothing worse than looking like Coco the Clown in the ring in full make up. Leave that for clubbing, unless sleeping with, planning on sleeping with, or previously having slept with the judge.

oldie48

Visit site
Lucky you to have a pale complexion, as soon as I get the slightest bit warm I look like a tomato! Honestly, don't wear makeup if you don't want to, leave it to the old hags like me to plaster on the paint in an attempt to look vaguely human. Put your hair in a tidy low bun though, I think that is quite important, I hate to see riding hats worn with flowing hair it makes me envious!

Frumpoon

Visit site
I'm also very pale but I do love wearing makeup

Maybe you could consider some bronzing powder on bridge of nose and cheekbones and a bit of mascara

Shavings

Visit site
i am more interested to know where you have managed to find a showing show to go to
I live on the isle of man, we have closed boarders and haven't had cases for over 6 weeks now so shows are aloud to run, although we have to filling a very large form now about who we are, where we have been, if we have been away the number of the landing form and the proof of the 14 day isolation!

Wearing makeup for the show ring makes sense.
You are creating a picture, it is all supposed to be graceful, elegant, serene and easy. If you look as pale as a ghost, about to pass out or utterly terrified then judges will wonder why. Is the horse/pony strong, is the rider waiting for it to explode out from under them, is the horse a difficult ride and the rider only just managing?

i wear makeup in the show ring because without it i could scare small children which is also not a good look!

this is what my instructor says, i am that pale i look like there is something to worry about!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
If you want a product to give you a glow, this is my favourite that I love to wear https://pixibeauty.co.uk/collections/complexion/products/flawless-beauty-primer?variant=34997436618 it is technically a primer but is good enough to be worn on it's own last for ages too as you only need a small amount.

I then follow with a concealer, this is a great one if a bit pricey https://tartecosmetics.com/EU/en_GB/makeup/face/concealer/shape-tape-concealer/836.html

And then you can use a finishing powder Barry M is a good one https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/F...Barry-M-Ready-Set-Smooth-Translucent/p/732172

Then add anything else you like, I use Inglot for blush/bronzer and use any eyebrow pencil and mascara.

I then finish with a setting spray, love this one https://www.anastasiabeverlyhills.com/en_gb/dewy-set-setting-spray/ABH01-48400.html

Hope that gives some ideas!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If you go with anything, I'd go with a tinted moisturiser and leave it at that.
Nothing worse than looking like Coco the Clown in the ring in full make up. Leave that for clubbing, unless sleeping with, planning on sleeping with, or previously having slept with the judge.

Geniunely curious, but why does wearing make-up signal wanting to sleep with a judge?

I can understand make-up not being an individual's own preference but that's quite a leap :D

I regularly ride in a full face of make up but have zero plans to sleep with anyone I may meet whilst at the stables (or anywhere else, for that matter).

rosiesowner

Visit site
Geniunely curious, but why does wearing make-up signal wanting to sleep with a judge?

I can understand make-up not being an individual's own preference but that's quite a leap :D

I regularly ride in a full face of make up but have zero plans to sleep with anyone I may meet whilst at the stables (or anywhere else, for that matter).

In support of your comment, I understand I might be poking the bear here, but I've noticed that in this thread as well as in life in general, the people who wear makeup and are recommending it don't care wether others do or not. Whereas many of the people who don't are quick to make comments about how much they dislike it or don't need it or think stuff like the sleeping with judges stuff blah blah blah blah

Wearing makeup obviously means you want to sleep with the judge!! Because the only reason you'd ever wear it would be to impress other people and make them think that you're hot. Never just because it's an art form you enjoy! My type is 100% grumpy 65yo judges in long wax jackets and tweed hats with feathers on. Male or female it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

Not here to start an argument on someone else's post that was genuinely looking for advice, I just get fed up of hearing stuff like that!

little_critter

Visit site
Rosiesowner, be assured I don’t wear makeup but I have no issues with people who do. And I certainly don’t assume makeup is worn in order to woo the judge.
Ive just never got the hang of makeup and I’m not that fussed about it so never made any effort to learn how to apply it well.

I did look for photos of my horses brother recently who has done well in showing, I admit I couldn’t take my eyes off the riders eyelashes. They were so big they would have looked more at home in a glamour magazine. I think that was an instance of badly applied makeup...where the makeup was a distraction rather than an enhancement.

Tinted moisturiser sounds like a good idea just to even out your complexion and add a smidge of colour if you feel you look washed out.
Do what you are comfortable with, and if you want to wear makeup then practice beforehand. There’s no point trying it on the day and getting yourself stressed about the application then having a bad ride because you feel uncomfortable wearing makeup.