Show makes overweight riders dismount

DD

Visit site
About time too!. And its not just at shows. A local riding school has a couple of heavy girl grooms who school and break peoples ponies for them. they are way too heavy for a lot of the animals they school and exercise. And we have a very large lady who hunts with us. The Master really should say something.

only_me

Visit site
I was a bit :eek: when they said they had scales ready to weigh the riders if they contested!
I'm assuming they went to the riders who were very obviously too heavy rather than the ones who were borderline.
But very glad they did it! Definitely about time :)

teapot

Visit site
Step in the right direction for sure.

I genuinely think people underestimate their own weight, before even considering their kit and tack.

Amye

Visit site
Definitely in favour of this!! I know people get offended and it's a touchy subject but it needs to be addressed. Some people need to face the fact that they cannot get on a pony, it's just not fair and its damaging to the ponies back!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think that this is a fantastic progression in the showing world, and am very pleased to see such a positive article about it. Hopefully the prospect of being pulled up in public is mortifying enough that it will discourage people. 20% is lenient anyway, by that reckoning my horse could carry over 20stone, I wouldn't put that on him.

I am not sure I have ever seen a horse I would happily put 18 stone on, let alone 20... so I am not sure about the 20% rule as the horses get bigger but good news regardless. (I am very sorry if this offends anyone, it's just my opinion).

Clodagh

Visit site
To be fair they were not asking fat people, but adults on ponies. Not saying that is better but can you imagine them going to an obese rider on, say, a cob, and asking them to dismount.

only_me

Visit site
To be fair they were not asking fat people, but adults on ponies. Not saying that is better but can you imagine them going to an obese rider on, say, a cob, and asking them to dismount.

Yes, as stated in the article, asking too heavy riders on ponies to dismount.

will be interesting to see who tries to sue first as their feelings were hurt and suffered emotional distress :p

rachk89

Visit site
Yes, as stated in the article, asking too heavy riders on ponies to dismount.

will be interesting to see who tries to sue first as their feelings were hurt and suffered emotional distress :p

All too soon I imagine. Surprised there hasn't been a thread from someone complaining that they got called fat by a steward and told to get off. I wonder what the replies would be?

maisie06

Visit site
I gave up riding because I'm fat - I will NEVER sit on a horse again, and when I see some riders who are overwieght and their horse's are always having lameness and back issues it stumps me when they wonder why...Also if a pony needs to be worked in by an adult - surely it's not a suitable mount for a child..??

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Totally agree with it. My only problem would be with the 20% rule because it means an overweight horse or pony could theoretically carry more weight than a fit and lean one, which is nonsense. But I guess it's the best measure we have. I think the % should be closer to 17% though or even lower.

Peggs

Visit site
Pleased to read this article too. I think as a nation we are getting fatter and we owe it to our horses to show them some respect and drop the pounds. Perhaps an article showing a horses height and weight against the correct human rider and weight wouldn't go a miss? (Apologies if already done!) I know it's simple maths but pictures speak louder than words.

I wasn't fat 10.5st and 5'5 and always weigh heavier, muscle maybe, but mid weight loss, over a stone off, aiming for 9st so I can ride a lightweight pba I have. It also gives me the opportunity to build top line whilst losing weight ☺️

Haz:)

Visit site
I'm 5"2 and have a lightweight build 13.2hh NF X TB. We're fine walking trotting and cantering, but fast canter and jumps over 70cm, he just can't do. When I was nine, it was great because I was just a little pea bobbing along on his back!! Thankfully I have a 16hh to retrain and my little pony is living the high life of hacks and cuddles. :)

I think this is a subject that should be taken more seriously by judges and show staff. Because it is a welfare issue. You see te donkeys abroad in The Brooke adverts you see donkies weighed down with bricks. When people see that they say "that's far too heavy" yet when you see an overweight rider on a 13hh spindly pony your not supposed to say anything for fear of hurting their feelings.

Equi

Visit site
Horse and hound seem to be the only ones really going with this story. Did it not all start out as a April fool one time!?

Shantara

Visit site
Thank goodness!!
I see some awful sights at shows and fun rides etc.
I'm 5ft 8 and now 135lbs. I'm working on getting back to 120lbs as I feel a little big on Ned and really should be riding 16hh ish I think.

I obviously have nothing against fat people or tall or whatever, but horses are living and feeling animals and don't deserve to carry too much weight for our amusement!

Pilatesclare

Visit site
About time really. I always think it's ironic when we pay so much attention to our horses health and fitness but so many don't to their own. We expect a lot from our horses and owe it to them to be fit and healthy too.

Mince Pie

Visit site
So sadly true. As it also says in the article - how is it a childs pony if it needs working in by an adult?

That was the bit that got me! Showing it as a child's pony but doesn't want to put a child on it as child would probably get hurt - obviously isn't a ****ing child's pony then!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Totally agree with it. My only problem would be with the 20% rule because it means an overweight horse or pony could theoretically carry more weight than a fit and lean one, which is nonsense. But I guess it's the best measure we have. I think the % should be closer to 17% though or even lower.

Theoretically they would be able to carry less weight as they are already carry their own extra weight.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I just ran a calculation through, and an average 16.2 middleweight at 650kg could then carry approx 20 stone, so the 20% rule does not seem that prohibitive.

case895

Visit site
I just wish airlines would do the same! A combined passenger and luggage weight allowance as the fuel burnt does not know whether it is lifting luggage or lard.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I just ran a calculation through, and an average 16.2 middleweight at 650kg could then carry approx 20 stone, so the 20% rule does not seem that prohibitive.

I suppose it's more prohibitive on ponies.

For example, a 12hh at roughly 200kg would work out 40kg which is only 6.2stone. I've seen MANY 12hh ponies with riders defo more than 6 stone on them.
Another example is 13hh at 300kg would work out 60kg which is 9.4 stone.

This needs to include tack too, not just rider.

(Got kg weights for ponies from Google! As don't have ponies this size aha)

shadowboy

Visit site
If it's true then it's fantastic. About time shows put the welfare of animals first. A good show pony should have manners and be long lived. If it needs an adult to warm it in that is so heavy it's knackered before going into the ring so it behaves then it's not a child's pony. If it's joints and back are done in by the age of 15 that's also not good- kids ponies should go on forever!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
It's important that the mounts that we choose are suitable for our weights. If a rider is too heavy for a mount they need to be asked to dismount. No questions!!!

I am a Fat rider, obese if you wish, I don't care, fat, obese take your pick. ( waves a tea towel to fan the most delicate, to stop them fainting) I pick my mounts carefully, my pony is excerised by a light weight rider. My mounts are a shireX and a Clydesdale. I'm very sure both my boys are healthy and happy and I know that no ribbon or prize is worth risking them. I totally agree that if there is any doubt the riders should be asked to dismount.