Show me an ugly horse?

digitalangel

Visit site
Who cares -more to life than looks! Is that him in your siggy?? What a jump!!!!!

Yep thats him :) Hes everything to me! we have had our fair share of issues as when i bought him he was very ill, he took years to come right... hes a headshaker as well, so has a lot of TMJ/Head massages to make sure he is comfortable, and hes sharp to ride as well but i wouldnt swap him for the world.

Dukey

Visit site
Ahh most on here are not ugly at all! Not keen on arabs.
In all my 20+ years with horses I think I've only ever met one ugly one. It was put together all wrong. Long back, short neck, big head, small eyes and ears, a chewed looking tail, short legs, huge feet, a barrell shaped rib cage and a skinny bum! It was also a really dirty chesnut colour and had a white face. Poor thing!

EstherYoung

Visit site
I think its sad to call someones horse ugly, sad for the person that loves them anyway.
I have an Arab but don't like the over extreme head with the big lump on the forehead, I think that photo has been enhanced of the grey think its been put on Arabian lines before.

I think it's that she has a deformity. Apparently the extreme dish isn't in her breeding anywhere and she doesn't pass it on. Post 40 on this thread has some pics of one of her daughters: http://forums.arabianbreeders.net/t...abians-becoming-too-dished-faced/page__st__30

What does concern me is when that level of dish is put up as something to aspire to.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
The problem with Cremellos is when they hit the "in fashion" stage, people bred for Color and not conformation or even performance. Not all people so let's not get defensive. I once commented on a public photo of a mare as it was up for Confo. People were swooning over her Color. I'm just not into post legged behind, over at the knee, straight shoulder, and badly tied in neck all in one horse. She was a broodie because of Color.

Terri

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
FarmMarch11.jpg

io the much loved fugly duckling :)

Spotsrock

Visit site
I had one with the body of a 17 hand draft horse the legs of a fat Shetland the neck of an Icelandic and the head of an Ardennes. Top it off he was spotty with pink skin.

Bedford Joy

Visit site
I was once told of some very dubious practices in the Arab showing/breeding world ...
In order to accentuate the dish some breeders will place a large elastic band around the noses of foals noses which restricts the growth of the nose thus causing a more pronounced dish.

Also if you see an Arabian at a show standing still but with its tail high in the air there is also a practice of using Cayen pepper supposetories to irritate that area causing the horse to lift its tail higher when not moving ...

Some practices in the horse world have really shocked me, I think one of the worst I've seen is Soring ... One of the cruelest things I've ever seen. How people think the over exaggerated high stepping low back ended horses is beautiful sickens me :(

PandorasJar

Visit site
I've one.

I've got two full sisters. One who is a little stunner, very 'pretty pony', one who simply isn't. It doesn't help she's always snarling at horses and has a mohawk going on too. In reality I think she's quite cute - just a bit of a thug. Her sister got dished out the body shape and markings though.

In photos, she's not pretty at all lol. Never got a good picture of her!

Karen88

Visit site
My horse was pretty ugly when I got her..... to this day I still don't know why I bought her when she looked like this at the time

picture.php

But luckily turned into this :D
picture.php

picture.php

Love her to bits!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
My OH bought the ugliest horse I've ever seen! He'd tried to prepare me for it, by showing me photos of her racing, but the bridle seemed to swallow some of the 'wilderbeest' look she has about her!

When she walked up to me in the field for the first time, I actually burst out laughing. She truly is the ugliest horse I have ever seen. But she won me round with her charming personality, and the fact that when OH bought her she was a borderline neglect case. When he told me over the phone that he'd cried when he'd got her home, and that he was glad I couldn't see her because it would 'break my heart', I told myself it wouldn't matter how ugly she was, I'd still love her. And I do :) she'll be with me forever, big head and all!

FreddiesGal

Visit site
My OH bought the ugliest horse I've ever seen! He'd tried to prepare me for it, by showing me photos of her racing, but the bridle seemed to swallow some of the 'wilderbeest' look she has about her!

When she walked up to me in the field for the first time, I actually burst out laughing. She truly is the ugliest horse I have ever seen.

:D :D

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
My horse was pretty ugly when I got her..... to this day I still don't know why I bought her when she looked like this at the time

picture.php

But luckily turned into this :D
picture.php

picture.php

Love her to bits!

are you from Scotland? did I see some sort of advert for her on Equine Adverts at some point recently for something?

Jen

Karen88

Visit site
Yeah Im from Scotland, she was advertised for loan or part loan a while back, due to financial circumstances, but all is well now so she's not going anywhere now :-D

Karen x

Tinypony

Visit site
Also if you see an Arabian at a show standing still but with its tail high in the air there is also a practice of using Cayen pepper supposetories to irritate that area causing the horse to lift its tail higher when not moving ...
:(

Some used to "ginger" Arab horses in the show world, but it would mean disqualification now if found to have been done. My Arab always puts his tail up over his back when there's something a bit exciting going on, he doesn't need pepper to do it!

But yes, there are some cruelties in the horse world aren't there? The TWH must come right up there on the list.

wench

Visit site
Most of the "ugly" ones arent what I would call "ugly"... just bad conformation, and probably should be PTS.

I have only seen one really ugly horse.

AbFab

Visit site
When I first saw mine I wasn't sure whether she was really ugly or really cute :D She was a gawky, weird looking baby...
Photo-0425.jpg

She sometimes doesn't do much to make herself look very nice..
DSCF2294-1.jpg

Phone2.jpg

But she's grown into a beautiful little pony :)
P1000639.jpg

She might not be everyone's cup of tea, but she's the apple of my eye :)