Show name Vs. Racing name

Qru

Visit site
My horse is an ex-racer, he has a stable name, Apollo, but when he was racing he was Gendri, which is 'Sting' in Greek.
So which would I use as a show name, or would I need a new one?

Anyone else have ex-racers? What were their racing names, and did you re-name them?
x

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I tend to use the registered name on there passport for the show name, unless its just a wee training show inwhich case I just use the stable name. It's up to yourself if you want to change the registered name. personally I think it's bad luck so just leave them how they are :p My ex racer was called Grey Adventure, I probably should have changed it as it came true!!

Visit site
Always use their registered name - even if you don't particularly like it!

I have to admit that it does bug me when people drop prefix's or change them completely as it then disrespects the breeders for the most part.

I have 4 ex-racers and to be fair they all have great names - Kyle Of Lochalsh - Kyle at home. Jefertiti - or Jeff. Mister Laurel - Laurel. and Gray Mountain who is Gray/Graymo/Mountain Goat!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I've had several ex racers, Firstly, Triumphant Song, known as 'T' to his friends. He kept his race name as his show name. Then had Proud Patriot, known as 'Sunny' to his friends, also kept his name. Followed by C'est La Vie... changed it to 'The Dark Horse', AKA 'Horse'. Then along came 'Bay Belle', we called her 'Bella'. I don't remember using her race name at all! More recently have a mare that I'm schooling, her race name is Strait Street, aka Cobweb... think Cobweb will stick forever!

labruyere

Visit site
depends....

if you're competing affiliated then you will have to compete with the name on the passport as this is the name the horse will be registered with, with the governing body

if it's local RC show or similar you can use any name you fancy, but be consistent, so that annual trophy points etc are correctly allocated, (and people don't think you have a 'ringer')

also if you are at a show that requires proof of up to date vaccinations you should use passport name to avoid confusion/complications (eg PC rallies etc are sometimes held at racecourses - no unvaccinated horses would be allowed on the premises)

traditionally it's considered bad luck to change a horse's name, so if you're prone to superstition...
...personally i change project horses' names quite regularly, and touch wood... :D

my old eventer's registered name was, wait for it, Knockdown Road,
my view is that having a horse named RTA had to be worse luck than changing it :eek:

he was re-registered with his old name appearing as 'previously known as' on the docs
i assume one can still do this if necessary

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
keep his racing name, means connections can keep track of his progress :)

Mine is Prophet's Star, Pea at home (short for peanut price super saver pony lol!)

NMT's is Galileo Figaro (no prizes for guessing who his dady was!), and he is Fig for short.

Both compete BD under their racing names.

minesadouble

Visit site
We have one that we show. His racing name is By All Men and his stable name is Goose. We almost always use his racing name unless it's a very small show.

Jesstickle

Visit site
If affiliated you'll have to use the name on the passport.

At local stuff I only ever put my horses down as their stable names.

ncorsie

Visit site
I have an ex racer - when i am showing or competing in BD and BE his show name to me is just the name on his passport! However, I think it's up to you what you want to call him at home ie his stable name.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I would stick to name on passport out of tradition/superstition - even though they are invariably duff.

Our new ID x hasnt had his name registered yet so we get to choose. When we got him the dealer didnt know his stable/pet name either and had been calling him Bournville for the 3/4 weeks she had him so we just shortened that to Bill for his stable name - fingers crossed we dont have years of bad luck raining down upon us!