Show prep thicko questions!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've only ever been to one show (years ago!) where we won best mane and tail. ?

Now I have a beautiful young Fell pony and feel it's important to get out to a couple of shows as part of his education.

Their is a small show coming up beginning of July that is tailored specifically to newbies which has an M&M class so should be a perfect first show.

So I reckon I have a head start having a shiny black pony ? but all tips on show prep would be much appreciated, as in: do I bath, if so which shampoo? Is Showsheen still thought to be the best? Do we still use hoof oil?

Any other tips? Not expecting to place as we'll be up against flashy welsh cobs etc, but no point going if we don't make an effort.

Told you they were thicko questions! I adore this pony though and want everyone to love him as much as I do. ?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I give mine a bath the night before and before a show I use the expensive chestnut special shampoo (it really does get an incredible sparkle to his coat). I give his hooves a polish too but just before the class, no major changes to his regular hoof routine.

I patch test any new shampoos for reactions a few days before a full wash (sensitive ginger). I trim the tail and mane a few days before so there's time for it to settle and for me fix the bits I got wrong.

The most important tip is none of the above is really important. Just enjoy it. Have fun, and make sure he has a good, positive experience and you get some lovely pictures you'll treasure.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I bought the black shampoo for Riggers, he sheens and shines :cool: He certainly wouldn't need additional shine on his coat, and I hate slippery horses. I do like the barrier fly spray though, non greasy and smells great.

I prefer a silicon free mane and tail spray, I think I use NAF... But I may be wrong.

I prefer a normal clear hoof grease on a very clean hoof, but I don't know about showing, so that may be wrong.

Your horse will look amazing. What do you plan on wearing?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Well, you have the advantage in that your fell should not have anything trimmed or tidied and you have no white socks to worry about. A good quality shampoo for black horses will be a good investment. You may need to wash his tail more than once. I couldn’t even get the core of my Dale’s tail wet let alone clean first wash of the season so regular family shampoo for the first wash will be fine. Coat sprays are no substitute for regular body brushing but a spritz of Sparkle and a wipe over with an old velvet cushion cover or similar before you go in will make him dazzle if the sun is out. If there are Welsh D ponies in the class I would advise going into the ring behind them because they will have a much faster walk than your pony and you don’t want him unsettled out of his natural rhythm. Practice standing him up and running him out at home. Have a great time and let us know how you did preferably with photos x

southerncomfort

Visit site
I give mine a bath the night before and before a show I use the expensive chestnut special shampoo (it really does get an incredible sparkle to his coat). I give his hooves a polish too but just before the class, no major changes to his regular hoof routine.

I patch test any new shampoos for reactions a few days before a full wash (sensitive ginger). I trim the tail and mane a few days before so there's time for it to settle and for me fix the bits I got wrong.

The most important tip is none of the above is really important. Just enjoy it. Have fun, and make sure he has a good, positive experience and you get some lovely pictures you'll treasure.

Thanks, that's really helpful. ?

southerncomfort

Visit site
I bought the black shampoo for Riggers, he sheens and shines :cool: He certainly wouldn't need additional shine on his coat, and I hate slippery horses. I do like the barrier fly spray though, non greasy and smells great.

I prefer a silicon free mane and tail spray, I think I use NAF... But I may be wrong.

I prefer a normal clear hoof grease on a very clean hoof, but I don't know about showing, so that may be wrong.

Your horse will look amazing. What do you plan on wearing?

Lord knows! I know I should have a tweedy waistcoat but not sure I can justify the expense just for a couple of shows so: smart short sleeved white shirt, tie (what colour??) and I have cream coloured trousers.

Need to find the boy a plain hunter bridle too.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well, you have the advantage in that your fell should not have anything trimmed or tidied and you have no white socks to worry about. A good quality shampoo for black horses will be a good investment. You may need to wash his tail more than once. I couldn’t even get the core of my Dale’s tail wet let alone clean first wash of the season so regular family shampoo for the first wash will be fine. Coat sprays are no substitute for regular body brushing but a spritz of Sparkle and a wipe over with an old velvet cushion cover or similar before you go in will make him dazzle if the sun is out. If there are Welsh D ponies in the class I would advise going into the ring behind them because they will have a much faster walk than your pony and you don’t want him unsettled out of his natural rhythm. Practice standing him up and running him out at home. Have a great time and let us know how you did preferably with photos x

Thank you! I'm dreading washing his tail, it's going to be quite a task. Makes sense to wash it a couple of times.

Good tip re: walking behind the bigger striding types.

I'm so nervous. My hearing isn't brilliant and I worry I won't hear the stewards instructions.

minesadouble

Visit site
If he has a nice coat and isn't prone to scurfiness I would bath a couple of days before and put a light sheet on if this is practical. This is definitely better for a good shine than bathing the night before.
You can wash legs, mane and tail again if needed.
Definitely practice getting him standing up and running out beforehand. When you stand him up for the judge stand in front of him rather than beside him and try to keep him looking alert and interested. Pick some grass or rustle piece of paper.
As you are going into the ring try to pick a pony who maybe isn't well put together or is badly turned out and get behind that one for the go round ?
Most importantly of all have fun!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
All good advice above.
Just don't plait his mane or tail the day(s) before, as you mustn't have wavy mane or tail, breed standard is straight.
Practice moving him in a straight line and going forward as well as standing out well too.
Good luck at the show.

southerncomfort

Visit site
If he has a nice coat and isn't prone to scurfiness I would bath a couple of days before and put a light sheet on if this is practical. This is definitely better for a good shine than bathing the night before.
You can wash legs, mane and tail again if needed.
Definitely practice getting him standing up and running out beforehand. When you stand him up for the judge stand in front of him rather than beside him and try to keep him looking alert and interested. Pick some grass or rustle piece of paper.
As you are going into the ring try to pick a pony who maybe isn't well put together or is badly turned out and get behind that one for the go round ?
Most importantly of all have fun!

Thats great, thank you!

That makes sense re: bathing a few days before as my old mare often looks less good if anything immediately after a bath.

I think my biggest issue in the ring is that he has a tendency to turn in to a statue when he sees other horses. ?‍♀️

southerncomfort

Visit site
All good advice above.
Just don't plait his mane or tail the day(s) before, as you mustn't have wavy mane or tail, breed standard is straight.
Practice moving him in a straight line and going forward as well as standing out well too.
Good luck at the show.

Thanks. Annoyingly his tail has a tendency to go a bit wavy. I'll have to try and brush it straight!

I think I'll use my 2 mares and a couple of helpers to go through everything he'll experience during the class.

Visit site
How old is he and is he still entire? Geldings, mares and fillies can be shown in white rope halters. I wouldn't worry about being in with Welsh. A good pony is a good pony regardless and Fell's do stand out against the Welsh as they are generally black and the Welsh are not. I personally use tea towels to give them a once over just before we go in the ring, they gather all the dust etc that may have attracted to a shiny pony.

I have quite a nice tweed waistcoat that was £50/60 on Amazon and I wear it all the time! Not just for showing, it has made an appearance in the parade ring at the races when the horse i have doesn't have our sponsorship on, it goes on day's out to town, out for dinner etc. It is really quite versatile. I will go see if I can find a link to it. I have the pink version. I like that it has the longer length at the back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walker-Haw...=1623241665&sprefix=tweed+wais,aps,197&sr=8-2

whirlwind

Visit site
As above but clear hoof oil only on fells, they’re not supposed to have the ‘blue’ horn coloured so not the black stuff. Ours tend to show either in a white rope halter or a full double (or Pelham) ridden bridle. Depend how seriously you’re going for but you can straighten out any kinks in the lane and tail with a pair of hair straighteners- no hair extensions allowed

southerncomfort

Visit site
How old is he and is he still entire? Geldings, mares and fillies can be shown in white rope halters. I wouldn't worry about being in with Welsh. A good pony is a good pony regardless and Fell's do stand out against the Welsh as they are generally black and the Welsh are not. I personally use tea towels to give them a once over just before we go in the ring, they gather all the dust etc that may have attracted to a shiny pony.

I have quite a nice tweed waistcoat that was £50/60 on Amazon and I wear it all the time! Not just for showing, it has made an appearance in the parade ring at the races when the horse i have doesn't have our sponsorship on, it goes on day's out to town, out for dinner etc. It is really quite versatile. I will go see if I can find a link to it. I have the pink version. I like that it has the longer length at the back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walker-Haw...=1623241665&sprefix=tweed+wais,aps,197&sr=8-2

That is actually really nice!

He is a 5 year old gelding. I think he'd look smarter in a bridle but would also be fine in a halter so I'll have a think on that one.

Thanks for your help.

southerncomfort

Visit site
As above but clear hoof oil only on fells, they’re not supposed to have the ‘blue’ horn coloured so not the black stuff. Ours tend to show either in a white rope halter or a full double (or Pelham) ridden bridle. Depend how seriously you’re going for but you can straighten out any kinks in the lane and tail with a pair of hair straighteners- no hair extensions allowed

Thanks, I did wonder that about their feet and the blue horn. I'll get some of the clear stuff.

I'll have a look at rope halters, I just worry that it will look too big and clunky on him as he has quite a 'pony' head on him.

Do you have a pic you wouldn't mind sharing?

Visit site
I never used to show mine in a white halter as to me it is very much a youngstock/Broodmare thing but that is personal preference. I used to show my lad in an inhand bridle. He would have been a 5yo gelding too at this point. I only ever used his ridden bridle if I wouldn't have time to swop between classes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-155342_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-155342_Facebook.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 27

Carrottom

Visit site

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walker-Hawkes-Country-Waistcoat-Stripes/dp/B06XZYXYMS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3K95Q0L9Z3TWV&dchild=1&keywords=tweed+waistcoat+women&qid=1623241665&sprefix=tweed+wais,aps,197&sr=8-2[/QUOTE]

I really like the look of that waistcoat, but dry clean only? Around horses, how does that work ?

windand rain

Visit site
I think you will be fine in a smart shirt and darkish tie, good clean footwear. I would bath and rug/sheet him at least 48 hours before the show. I bath all mine in baby bath from lidl its about 50p a bottle and gets them clean but if not completely rinsed out it doesn't make them scurfy (patch test but have never had a bother) I am also sure he gleams from the inside anyway. Hoof oil should be clear it is against the breed standard to black native feet although some do. I use Kevin Bacon hoof cream. Dont plait or his hair will crinkle and if you use a riding bridle always have two reins on it a lead rein looks daft on a ridden bridle even with couplings. Dont feel intimidated or nervous of the flashy welsh they very often don't move straight or within the breed standard. Have fun it is a great experience for you both

southerncomfort

Visit site
I never used to show mine in a white halter as to me it is very much a youngstock/Broodmare thing but that is personal preference. I used to show my lad in an inhand bridle. He would have been a 5yo gelding too at this point. I only ever used his ridden bridle if I wouldn't have time to swop between classes.

That looks really smart!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I think you will be fine in a smart shirt and darkish tie, good clean footwear. I would bath and rug/sheet him at least 48 hours before the show. I bath all mine in baby bath from lidl its about 50p a bottle and gets them clean but if not completely rinsed out it doesn't make them scurfy (patch test but have never had a bother) I am also sure he gleams from the inside anyway. Hoof oil should be clear it is against the breed standard to black native feet although some do. I use Kevin Bacon hoof cream. Dont plait or his hair will crinkle and if you use a riding bridle always have two reins on it a lead rein looks daft on a ridden bridle even with couplings. Dont feel intimidated or nervous of the flashy welsh they very often don't move straight or within the breed standard. Have fun it is a great experience for you both

Thats great, thanks.

Feeling less daunted now!

Kat

Visit site
If you are just going to a small show for a bit of fun and experience don't worry too much about having all the correct gear. Make sure the pony is clean and correct but most of the other stuff you can wing it.

Check the breed specific turnout rules for things like hoof oil and trimming.

Unless you plan to show a lot I would make do with your ridden bridle if it is brown leather or borrow one.

A waistcoat is great especially on a hot day but you are fine in a tweed jacket if you already have one or can borrow one.

You need to have a hat on. Serious in hand showing folk wear a bowler or trilby or soft cap depending upon the class but you should not be penalised for wearing a velvet riding hat or a skull with a suitable dark cover.

Ideally wear light coloured trousers with short boots or sturdy shoes but you don't have to get anything fancy. I wore Primark cords with my riding boots. My shirt was a man's work shirt from Tesco, my tie borrowed, my tweed jacket was the e-bay bargain I wore for autumn hunting and I wore a riding hat. We did pretty well despite that!

southerncomfort

Visit site
If you are just going to a small show for a bit of fun and experience don't worry too much about having all the correct gear. Make sure the pony is clean and correct but most of the other stuff you can wing it.

Check the breed specific turnout rules for things like hoof oil and trimming.

Unless you plan to show a lot I would make do with your ridden bridle if it is brown leather or borrow one.

A waistcoat is great especially on a hot day but you are fine in a tweed jacket if you already have one or can borrow one.

You need to have a hat on. Serious in hand showing folk wear a bowler or trilby or soft cap depending upon the class but you should not be penalised for wearing a velvet riding hat or a skull with a suitable dark cover.

Ideally wear light coloured trousers with short boots or sturdy shoes but you don't have to get anything fancy. I wore Primark cords with my riding boots. My shirt was a man's work shirt from Tesco, my tie borrowed, my tweed jacket was the e-bay bargain I wore for autumn hunting and I wore a riding hat. We did pretty well despite that!

All great tips, thank you!

Reactions: Kat