Show Shine

PerfectCoffee

Visit site
What do people find is the best show shine or is there an easy home recipe for one that gives good results? I'm already giving linseed to feed shine from within and doing lots of strapping.

Shay

Visit site
Ditto that - you can feel an artificial preparation on the skin too. I'm not sure I have personally seen people marked down for show sheen - but those who have taken the time to do it with grooming and hot clothing definitely get marked better - which pretty much equates to the same thing!

catkin

Visit site
No product gives quite the same effect as the hard work - grooming and strapping, appropriate exercise/work, hot-clothing and feeding correctly.

Use natural bristle brushes for grooming and finish with linen cloths - it does make a difference, especially if done everyday. I hot-cloth with a couple of face-flannels and a touch of horse shampoo in the hot water (the horses have their own face flannels that never see the inside of the human bathroom!!!). I have dark coloured horses mostly so perhaps easier for me - I don't bath them very often except for manes and tails.

Linseed is a good feed additive to help coat - but remember the rest of the diet too - a simple but good quality forage-based diet with a top-class vits and mins supplement will keep the guts working efficiently and shows in the coat.

conniegirl

Visit site
Ive never heard such rot before about show shine!
Show shine is fine, most top yards seem to use absorbine stuff or the supeme stuff
Judges can mark down for excess makeup or oils but not for showshine

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Feed it properly and well timed bathing is all you need. Do not bath a horse the day before you show it.

I do both sides of the showing job and have never felt the need to penalise a horse with show shine on it, however many a horse has been penalised for incorrect turn out for the type/class.

Showing a horse in an evening performance needs careful production. Too little coat oil and the horse will look cold under the lights, too much and he will look like a greasy breakfast.

Crackerz

Visit site
Show shine is fine, most top yards seem to use absorbine stuff or the supeme stuff

I was giggling at people saying you'd get marked down for using showshine :D

I love Supreme products, their sparkle spray beats the shine of any amount of elbow grease and you WON'T be marked down for it :D

conniegirl

Visit site

I love Supreme products, their sparkle spray beats the shine of any amount of elbow grease and you WON'T be marked down for it :D

I love thier sparkle spray but if using it on the coat you have to use their other spray first I find otherwise it gets greasy within about 10 mins

Crackerz

Visit site
I love thier sparkle spray but if using it on the coat you have to use their other spray first I find otherwise it gets greasy within about 10 mins

It is fine on my NF, but i did notice at my cobs only show in the autumn that he did feel a little greasy - what spray do you put on first?

catkin

Visit site

Thats a little unfair - it all depends upon the breed/type and what is considered the correct turnout - see AA's comments above. If you have a native breed say, read the showing guidelines from the society very carefully indeed about what is acceptable and what is not.

Crackerz

Visit site
Thats a little unfair - it all depends upon the breed/type and what is considered the correct turnout - see AA's comments above. If you have a native breed say, read the showing guidelines from the society very carefully indeed about what is acceptable and what is not.

I do have natives - shown up to HOYS level qualifiers, NPS Champs etc. Plus i'm on a yard with multiple native hoys & Olympia finalists who have more shine products than I dare to dream of :D The only guidelines are for make-up and changing the appearance artificially in 99.9% of cases.

mcnaughty

Visit site

Absolutely agree! If it was frowned upon by judges they would have to mark down every horse and pony in the ring!! As for makeup .. recently went to a winter champs and yes horse with makeup on legs was unfavourably commented on but ... every horse at the show with white socks had used chalk!

conniegirl

Visit site

Having shown everything from M&M's to Hunters and Coloureds very sucessfully at county level and in HOYS qualifiers as well as being on a judging panel it think I'm fairly well qualified to say that show shine is not frowned upon at all.

Crackerz, it is just thier standard coat gloss spray followed by either the spray &shine spray or the sparkle depending on whether there is nice bright sunshine, lights or if it is a dull day (I dont waste the sparkle on a dull day, just use the spray and shine)
Love a good spray of sparkle in manes, tails and on Quarter marks!

Last edited:

PerfectCoffee

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys, will try some of the products suggested. I must admit I didn't realise my question would cause such controversy :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I also love the sparkle spray I find its the best product ever it also puts a nice sheen on the hooves.

Newlands

Visit site
Supreme Products have a special offer on at the moment on their coat gloss and glistening oil, both for £20 with free p&p! I love Sparkle too!!

Boysy

Visit site
Cheap and cheerful, I show natives and the only product I have found to work on their rather different coats are Magic Sheen for manes and tails, unbelievable on tangles it really is and Canter stuff for their bodies, not the coat sheen in the white bottles but the stuff in a big metal spray tin that they do, it doesn't leave any feel on the coat but shimmers gently, I always use it directly after a bath on a wet coat and work it in with a stable rubber.