Show Treka Living - Hints and Tips

Alibear

Visit site
Hi
I've just upgraded to a 2012 Show Treka :) I'm aware of, and have read the many love/hate posts about Equitrek. :D
But I'm really after any hints or tips for making the most of the living area. I'll be using it for 1 or 2 night stay away shows.
I've already been told the standard seat padding doesn't make a comfy bed so has anyone found a good mattress topper that fits? Or alternate padding?
Any other must haves?
It will be only me staying in it so I'm already planning on storing the upper bunk bits in the garage.

Has anyone got one with a leisure battery fitted? If so where is it located?

Also I'm only travelling 1 horse but often need to take mucking out tools , shavings, hay etc. Any hints?
As other than the tack locker anything else would currently risk sliding around under the horse...
There's no chance of my saddle fitting in the tack locker so it is available for alternate use :)

I've had a bit of a search round but not found anything much as yet.

HeyMich

Visit site
No hints and tips I'm afraid, but I'm off to collect my new (2nd hand) Equitrek Space Treka tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

I too have read all the positive/negative reviews. I seems to me that if people like them, then they absolutely love them. Likewise, if they don't then it's a strong don't! The marmite of the horse trailer world?

I have a friend who has just upgraded to a Show Treka like yours (she's in the love them category!), so I'll ask her when I speak with her next.

Good luck, and I hope you have many fun outings together!

Alibear

Visit site
Congratulations on the new purchase, so exciting, hope your friend gets on well with hers too.
If I do find anything good elsewhere I list back on here too.
I told the horse I'd upgraded her to luxury travelling accommodation but she's not impressed so far.
I'm hoping she takes to it once she has her first trip out in it, it is just a bit different to my 1996 Rice Richardson.

Britestar

Visit site
I have had mine for 11 years, and stayed in in lots.

Have never thought of the seat padding as uncomfortable to sleep on. Make sure you have layers. I put a sleeping bags under me, and then a double duvet folded in half. If its late in the year and likely to be cold, then a mummy sleeping bag inside that.

Get a storm lamp type torch, and that will light up the whole living area. If I'm alone, I put up the top bunk and store all clothes, wash bag etc on that. If 2 people sleeping, then that stuff is stored in the car, bar what you need the next morning.

Make sure you can reach kettle, mugs, tea from your bed - leave it ready to go. If its cold, you can boil the kettle whilst you are still in bed :)

I dont have a leisure battery, just work with torches. If you only are travelling one horse then you can secure your mucking out stuff on the other side of the trailer. We travel it in the back of the pickup. Keep all your grooming lit etc in the tack locker. I can fit 2 saddles in mine, plus the under area is always full too if we are away for more than 2 days.

Store as much as you can under the bench in the living, and keep all you riding stuff under the sink area, and use the shelves for food/ drink - much easier to acces.

McFluff

Visit site
I have an elderly show trekka and I love it. I have two tack lockers, so use on for a giant trug and a poop scoop thing which does most mucking out requirements. I have the water tank fitted, but as of yet, never used it, so I also keep water and buckets in that tack locker.

Mine has a leisure battery fitted under the seat in the living area - I didn't do this, it was done by a previous owner (actually think it was bought as an added extra looking at the original docs that I got with it).

I've never used mine for a stay away, but the previous owners did frequently (mum slept on bench and daughter on the top bunk). They just used the cushions it was supplied with...but I suspect that they were tougher than I am (I'm more of a 'where is the nearest nice hotel' type!).

My saddle and bridle do fit in the other locker, but it would be better if the door was a tiny bit wider (I would never try and put it in without a cover on). Grooming kit etc all fit nicely in the bottom of that locker too.

All my riding kit fits well in the living area, and it is a real luxury for getting changed while at shows (or just sheltering from rain/cold).

My mare has settled really well and travels very well in it - she didn't travel before, so had no comparison, but she now self loads and happily stands on it while at shows.

Good luck and many happy outings in it.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
I had a showtrekka for a few years and frequently stayed away in it. When sleeping in it on my own I used the back cushion you use for the top bunk on the bottom as well, so basically double up the mattress. Then sleeping bag and blankets. Put food and plates, utensils etc in plastic storage boxes with lids and store in the wardrobe bit, and under the bench and clothes on seats in the car. Small wheelbarrow and fork, shovel, brush and feed stuff in boot of car, (big 4x4!) Tack in lockers and hay, shavings in one side of horse area, secured by twine to sliding bar each end to stop them sliding under partition. Have a pair of plastic clogs/crocs to slip on by the door. I also had a portaloo under the bench. I was totally self sufficient! Was tight but cosy! Personally I loved my Equitrek, never had any trouble with it,held it's value well and only sold for Lorry x.
Also you can get lots of lighting options from caravan/camping shops. X

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had until last month a carriage treka .
The leisure battery was in the compartment at the front it had a socket (like a hook up) the battery charger was along side the battery it was super easy to use .
My carriage treka was unfitted so I had a big plastic chest with a cushion on top and in it I kept my camp bed and stove folding chair etc in it .
I stayed in it when I went for carriage driving training

Alibear

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I've already been saved from making a mistake and purchasing a single duvet, double it is :) Storm type lantern I've got from camping but plastic storage tubs sound like a good idea too.

Those who store stuff by tying it down in the horse area do you secure it to the wall then put the partition in and load the horse ? Or the other way around?

Dubsie

Visit site
I don't know the layout of the Show Treka, but we've an IW and we use a builders bag (those great big sacks they deliver gravel, sand etc in), when taking 1 horse and a load of stuff. We pop 2 of the loops through the front breast bar, and stand everything eg bag of shavings, mucking out tools, spare haynets (full ones) etc in the builders bag. You need to ensure nothing can fall out and slide under the partition, we tend to wedge the mucking out fork down the far side and lean it on the breast bar, but in reality nothing shifts once packed in there, because the bag can't move, it won't go under the partition because it's attached at the top front to the breast bar and nothing can fall out and under the horse. If we're going for a long time, we suspend a second one from the rear bar for the extra shavings/hay.

Alibear

Visit site
I don't know the layout of the Show Treka, but we've an IW and we use a builders bag (those great big sacks they deliver gravel, sand etc in), when taking 1 horse and a load of stuff. We pop 2 of the loops through the front breast bar, and stand everything eg bag of shavings, mucking out tools, spare haynets (full ones) etc in the builders bag. You need to ensure nothing can fall out and slide under the partition, we tend to wedge the mucking out fork down the far side and lean it on the breast bar, but in reality nothing shifts once packed in there, because the bag can't move, it won't go under the partition because it's attached at the top front to the breast bar and nothing can fall out and under the horse. If we're going for a long time, we suspend a second one from the rear bar for the extra shavings/hay.

Oh now that sounds like a good idea, I have a tack locker on one side in front of the horse but free space on the other so could permanently leave the bag attached and it shouldn't get in the way when loading or travelling :) Thank you.