Showing a black horse. Colour of tack.

mandy4727

Visit site
Got a new horse. Welsh section d. 14.3hh at the mo. Welshies grow until they are 6 I believe, correct me if I am wrong. She is 3.5 years of age. I should be ok on her at 5"6'inches shouldnt I. Intend to lose a bit of weight I put on after being ill. Question is. She is black, white stripe and 3ish white socks. Local level to start so is black ok? Would like to go to higher levels in time so is brown correct then? I do think brown on a black horse looks rather strange. Maybe thats just me. Anyway your opinions gratefully appreciated as usual.

millitiger

Visit site
Definitely brown tack- you can have it really dark brown if you like but brown is more correct than black.

My black horse wears brown and imo it looks great :)

Walrus

Visit site
Dark brown is correct if you're investing in tack for the future. My black Fell has dark brown tack and he looks lovely in it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Of what I fit a large proportion are showing horses (especially natives and cobs) and showing saddles. We only stock brown, a very dark neutral brown, because of demand. Occasionally a black/grey/piebald owner WILL hold out for black which we make to order, but most agree that a dark brown saddle makes their black horse look blacker. Black leather doesn't wear as nicely as brown either.

TheoryX1

Visit site
When I used to show my cob (jet black, 3 white socks and a large white star), I used to use very dark brown tack. I had a lovely Sabre double bridle and an Ideal working hunter saddle. It looked great. However for day to day, I use black anyway.