Showing a black horse. What colour tack?

mandy4727

Visit site
My new neddie is 3.5 so hopefully want to start to back her a early in the year 2013. Want to show at local level at first as that is handy, So what colour tack would I need to show her in for this level? And if I do get to go further afield what colour. Want to get it correct right from the start. Any knowing how eveyone on here is so very helpful, appreciate your advise. She is a section d/

kellybee

Visit site
A friend of mine has a show cob and she bought all black tack because he's a black horse... only to be told at her first in hand (novice level) show that she should always show in brown.

I think it depends on the class and they shouldn't mark you down for black tack unless you're affiliated or at a county show, but traditionally as a kid I was never allowed to show in anything other than gleaming brown/havana on any colour pony.

*Then again, people who haven't represented their country ride in red and kids wear pink diamante studded allsorts these days don't they? Tradition isn't what it used to be in the showring!

BlackRider

Visit site
I'd go for black, I've got a grey, and always showed in black tack, (as I think brown didn't suit as he was very dappley back then), I still used this even when I was doing the county circuit and never got marked down for this.

TelH

Visit site
Then again, people who haven't represented their country ride in red and kids wear pink diamante studded allsorts these days don't they? Tradition isn't what it used to be in the showring!

I went to a show a few weeks ago and it was like an A-Z of how to get it wrong :eek: There's usually one at local level but every huge faux pas you can think of was there in abundance :eek: The child doing in hand in a red jacket, white jodhpurs and long boots was a particularly epic fail :eek: And an adult doing in hand wearing a black jacket, white jodhpurs, short boots and a hat with random sparkly cr@p stuck to it...and someone doing ridden with one set of reins on the bottom ring of a Dutch gag and no noseband :eek: I'm old fashioned in that I'm a stickler for correct horse and rider/handler turnout. I don't get why, if people are going to spend the money buying stuff for shows they don't bother to do a bit of research and buy the correct stuff :confused: :eek:

Anyhoo rant over, FWIW black tack probably looks better on a black horse but brown is technically correct :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Havannah is technically correct but black looks better on black, and the overall picture is taken into consideration.

For many (in fact all I've ever met who knew what they were doing) judges, the overall picture is spoilt by black tack. As I said, you will get away with black tack at little local shows.

I'd go for black, I've got a grey, and always showed in black tack, (as I think brown didn't suit as he was very dappley back then), I still used this even when I was doing the county circuit and never got marked down for this.

Did you win every time out?

mjcssjw2

Visit site
I only ever show my black horse in brown tack and do dressage in black tack! but i think he looks lovely in either. But then again I have be known to do this when I feel like it (not at shows I hasten to add)
DSCF1132.jpg

He He!

WelshD

Visit site
Havanna is always appropriate

Black has some haters and debaters

Therefore I would go with Havanna and know you are on safe ground

Amaranta

Visit site
I went to a show a few weeks ago and it was like an A-Z of how to get it wrong :eek: There's usually one at local level but every huge faux pas you can think of was there in abundance :eek: The child doing in hand in a red jacket, white jodhpurs and long boots was a particularly epic fail :eek: And an adult doing in hand wearing a black jacket, white jodhpurs, short boots and a hat with random sparkly cr@p stuck to it...and someone doing ridden with one set of reins on the bottom ring of a Dutch gag and no noseband :eek: I'm old fashioned in that I'm a stickler for correct horse and rider/handler turnout. I don't get why, if people are going to spend the money buying stuff for shows they don't bother to do a bit of research and buy the correct stuff :confused: :eek:

Anyhoo rant over, FWIW black tack probably looks better on a black horse but brown is technically correct :)

I so agree with this, I have never understood why people do this :confused:

icemaiden113

Visit site
It is correct to use brown tack for showing, however I show a black cob and use black tack.

We have never been marked down for this.

The black tack has been used locally, county and at HOYS!

Good Luck

Mongoose11

Visit site
I love the look of brown tack on any horse, lovely and traditional.

Poster in pink - sorry I don't remember the username ..... Oh no you didn't! :D

Massive kudos to you and beautiful.... Mare? (prays it is a gelding for extra cringe factor) x

Janette

Visit site
Havannah is traditional, but black tack is becoming more widely seen. I show my coloured native in black tack, simply because it was the only saddle that fitted her properly, and it happened to be black.
I've never been marked down for it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
For showing you use brown tack on everything.

On a black horse using brown tack will also make the coat look blacker

Definitely. A lot of showing customers ask for a black saddle for black ponies but we only do black to order - once they see a really nice, neutral (no reddish colour) dark brown, they more often than not prefer it to black.

Janette

Visit site
Tan looks stunning on a black but not many people like it even though once upon a time, all tack was made in tan which then darkened to a rich mahogany brown color.

For today for showing, I would stick to brown.

Definitely Havana rather than London Tan. It attracts attention to the tack, and does the horse no favours.
I saw it in the show ring once, on a chestnut. Not a good look.

Love

Visit site
Why not just go the darkest brown you can find? Then it's still "correct" but nearer to the look black tack gives if you are worried about the overall picture. Personally I think the overall picture of a black horse is better in brown tack :)

mjcssjw2

Visit site
Devonshire dumpling, i just couldn't help it!!

Billie Blitzen - yes its a he!! lol

However we do the serene bit sometimes, when I am not feeling naughty
(although to be fiar the task is havana, but the bling not correct for side saddle lol - don't think i can help it)
storm-1.jpg

Mongoose11

Visit site
He is stunning and looks spectacular in pink! Good for you for having the balls not to take it all too seriously! Beautiful animal!