Showing a Foaly?

Flash_28

Visit site
Hello

I am thinking of maybe taking Foaly to a local show in October. It is a show run by a local rescue centre and I was thinking of entering him for just the Best Rescue Class as to be honest he still isn’t up to scratch. I would be taking him to just get used to the atmosphere of a show ground and travelling etc.

I not big into the showing front and least of all showing a youngster. I understand that as he is a colt and coming up to 17 months of age he will have to be shown in a bit. Any ideas of which bit is best to use would be appreciated. Just any help would be appreciated really or any tips.

appylass

Visit site
My friend showed a yearling colt last season, we started with a straight bar rubber bit but tbh the colt just spent all his time trying to chew through it! We changed it to a small loose ring, french link snaffle (likek a bradoon ) and that worked perfectly. We used an in hand bridle (rather than a ridden one) too.

My best tip would be to teach yours to trot on command before you take him, If he will respond to a 'click' it will make life a lot easier in the ring. I've always taught mine by following an older horse who knows what to do to avoid the dragging bit. I also try and organise a mock class with a few others at the yard so the baby can have a go at standing in line (without chewing the one next to him ) and trotting off on their own etc. I think it all helps although it is hard to know how they will react on the day!

Other than that, have fun and enjoy showing him off!