Pictures Showing a palomino Arab type

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I want to get Mimosa (5 year old, 80.3% Arab, palomino, 14.3/15hh) out and about to give her some exposure to other horses, noises, busy atmospheres.

She’s not an athletic little horse although we might aim to do some basic dressage down the line. I thought I might show her in-hand.

I’ve ever shown anything though - what do I need to buy/ know / do? Do I bit her? What bit? What is the right sort of in-hand bridle to buy? I presume she won’t need to be plaited due to type but do I need to show her mane and tail in a certain way?

I’ll have someone present her for me, and it will strictly be fun classes - colour classes probably, maybe PBA classes but she’d probably do best as the equine equivalent of Miss Congeniality.

Due to the fact that she’s always standing pretty much on top of me if I’m with her, the closest thing to a recent standing square photo I have is her grooming my other mare. Although I think most of you know her well!

D8E081EB-4D03-4B4C-9893-9FCB59D3D7C9.jpeg

blodwyn1

Visit site
If you show her as a palomino she can be mane and tail free. If shown as a part bred Arab she would need to be plaited and trimmed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It depends if you wanted to do AHS shows she is shown as a PB Arab so plaited and trimmed although I have a feeling very high percentage arab rules changed so might be worth a look on the site because she may be able to be left natural.

Local level you can leave her natural and do foreign breed, odd coloured you might even get away with doing part bred classes but you might be the only one not plaited.

If I were you I would get her to some palomino shows she is a really good colour and example they hold them all over the country, I am not sure of the rules with plaiting and breeding for those so I would have a look.

I used to love showing Arabi in hand he loves it he would think it still highly exciting even now at 17, thing is I wouldn't fancy trying to do a ridden class straight aftero_O

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I just had a quick look any PB with over 50% Arab can be shown natural at AHS shows

Great - I hate plaiting ?

Definitely Palomino shows.
You'll get a lot of info HERE try and get along to the annual show, even if it's in the car, as you'll get a very good idea of what to wear on you and her x

Brilliant idea. I think it looks like I can show her unplaited in most things.

Do you think I should stick to plain English tack and buy her an in-hand bridle and nice snaffle or do you think she is better shown in an Arabian halter like this sort of thing?

2CE2CEA8-D61F-4F32-98CA-632E77F7F279.jpeg

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think you could get an Arab halter like the one above because she is high percentage, the plainer the better as she has a really pretty head so you don't want to detract from that, I had a lovely brown leather one with a very thin gold piping on it can't find it anywhere though:(

Reactions: PSD

asmp

Visit site
Just to say before I go on that I find showing really boring (it’s like watching paint dry) but some years back went to a local show which had a foreign breed in hand class. As I have a Criollo I thought I’d enter him in for a bit of fun as he’d been brought along to keep another horse company. What I didn’t expect was for all the Arabs to turn up with their handlers winding them up before going into the ring. It was certainly an eye opener!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Concours d'elegance in full Bedouin gear :)

That would be a sight to be seen!

Just to say before I go on that I find showing really boring (it’s like watching paint dry) but some years back went to a local show which had a foreign breed in hand class. As I have a Criollo I thought I’d enter him in for a bit of fun as he’d been brought along to keep another horse company. What I didn’t expect was for all the Arabs to turn up with their handlers winding them up before going into the ring. It was certainly an eye opener!

I think I might start with colour classes then. I want her to learn that going out and about it not a big deal, I don’t want her getting wound up. Thanks for mentioning it.

I might have a spare arab halter. If you have trouble finding one let me know.

That is so kind, thank you!

Visit site
Either an Arab halter or a double bridle would be most correct for her age and type depending on what classes you do.

If you don't want to play at a high level in PBA classes at normal shows then leave her mane natural and do the Arab shows and palomino classes. If you want to go down the proper PBA route at county shows you will need to pull and plait I am afraid!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Either an Arab halter or a double bridle would be most correct for her age and type depending on what classes you do.

If you don't want to play at a high level in PBA classes at normal shows then leave her mane natural and do the Arab shows and palomino classes. If you want to go down the proper PBA route at county shows you will need to pull and plait I am afraid!

Arab halter it is then! I’ll do palomino and high percentage arab classes and then I only have to wash her ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Not everybody that shows Arabs does the winding them up thing, I am surprised they were doing it at a non AHS show I haven't ever seen that at any other show I have been to, I would imagine a lot of show organisers would have put a stop to it.