Showing advice!

madeperfectly007

Visit site
Hi All 😄

Saturday was our first show of the season and we came a respectable 1st and 4th. Not got much experience in showing.

However when we where pulled into line before our individual show I was placed 3rd. Any ideas on how I managed to come down a place? Anyone got some tips on how to help us place higher.

Thanks

schneeko

Visit site
It could be any number of things:

They will have looked at your turnout and conformation before you did your show so they may have found something they didn't like there.

Maybe the horse in fourth did a particularly nice show or yours lacked something

If this is local level, then perhaps ask the judge how you could improve

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Did the judge give you feedback at the end of the class? My guess is that your individual show wasn't quite as good as the 3rd paced rider's but without seeing you both, I can't tell you why. In your show always make really good use of the space available, keep your show short (I've seen judges completely lose interest when a show becomes interminable) and if you extend, make sure that you are going uphill to make the most of your horse's way of going. hope that helps.

madeperfectly007

Visit site
No didn't get any feedback. Was looking for a chance to speak to the judge but the moment ever came up. Thinking back he did canter when we turned to trot back for a couple of strides. I was on the wrong diagonal for a small part up the long side. I thought confo and turnout would of already been checked! Will just need to practice more! Have been out of the game for couple of years. Oh an other thing the other competitors stopped on the track at the end of the show where as I came into the middle. Is it best to stick to the track?
Thanks

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think you have worked out where things went wrong. TBH except for checking that you are not using forbidden tack, ime judges rarely take turnout into account, although obviously it can help towards the overall picture, which judges get in the first go-round. Some judges set great store by their first impressions.

As for where you finished your show, it depends on the space available. I would expect most shows to end in front of the line-up, facing the judge but not in a position to restrict the next competitor coming out. The judge usually looks at confo as you come out to start your show, they often walk round the horse as it stands and then ask you to walk away and back or to trot back before you start your show.
As you say a bit more practice will help. Good luck and remember that most people would have been thrilled to have your placings.

madeperfectly007

Visit site
Yes I think so, I was very happy with Saturday!! I just don't want to let him down with my sloppy riding. Will practice more at home at least I know where the problem is! Thanks