Showing an August born youngster

RJMac

Visit site
I have a coloured sports horse who was born extremely late (august 2018) she is now 8 months out and she is a cracking wee filly (although technically classed as a yearling if you are going from the 1st of a new year rule). She stands, leads walks and trots up nicely in hand. I was just wondering where I stand with showing her? more just for the experience, fist time with such a young horse so any tips on how she should be presented along with myself would be welcome. Aiming for maybe 1 or 2 late shows just to get her experience. I do not want to over do it with her. Thanks!

conniegirl

Visit site
She will be classes as a yearling for all showing. I personaly would look for shows with a separate yearling class and towards the end of the year, aim just to have a nice day and for her to behave herself. She will likely look immature compaired to the others but tbh I wouldnt worry about it, with young horses a good experience is much more important than a frilly.

RJMac

Visit site
She will be classes as a yearling for all showing. I personaly would look for shows with a separate yearling class and towards the end of the year, aim just to have a nice day and for her to behave herself. She will likely look immature compaired to the others but tbh I wouldnt worry about it, with young horses a good experience is much more important than a frilly.

Yeah im not looking for any rosettes would rather she had fun and experience! As long as she behaves that's the main aim! what would I show her in? a leather in hand head collar? and for myself? she's a coloured shorts horse

conniegirl

Visit site
leather filly slip (so headcollar with a browband) for her, plaited mane.

For you, i'd go with standard inhand kit same as I would for a grown up horse (so shirt, tie, tweed jacket, trousers, short boots). The only difference I would have is that I definitely would wear a proper up to standard riding hat as i've seen numerous youngsters go up and bat out with thier front legs when it all got too much for them.

Visit site
It depends on if you are doing Sports Horse classes, coloured classes or hunter classes. Coloured and hunter classes are shown in tweed jackets, sports horses tend to be shown all in white.