Showing at the great Yorkshire show

Daniellenikita93

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have got a coloured cob and he has just turned 5 he has been shown at local shows, has done well, I have always wanted to show him at higher shows, great Yorkshire show been the first on my list! Im not sure if he is ready though or if I should wait till next year so that I can work on him and so that he is fully filled out although he is quite naughty he is a star when at a show, does anybody know the standards he will have to be to show him at higher levels?? (he isn't broken to ride as I would rather have him just as a in hand show pony, he is only 13.2, didn't make big enough to ride, but wouldn't part with him and didnt want to share him for anyone else to ride him!! Hehe)
Thanks Danielle :)

TelH

Visit site
If he's only 13.2hh and a cob I think you might find it difficult to find a suitable in hand class for him, especially as he's out of youngstock classes. There's nothing to stop you entering the Great Yorkshire for the fun of it if you find the right class, but if he's only done local showing so far I would be inclined to try him out at something like an agricultural show or smaller county show first to see how he gets on :)

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
We go to the Great Yorks every year (to spectate, rather than show) and the coloured classes are very popular - I can remember watching a ridden coloured class there one year that had over 30 entrants - needless to say it went on hours and I felt sorry for people cooking in their jackets. It's a big county show so the standards are high and the entry fees aren't cheap but if you feel you've got a good enough horse then give it a go for the experience!

mcnaughty

Visit site
I'd go for it -what have you got to lose? I have had ponies then horses for the best part of 30 years but only ever did local shows up to last year when I got a well bred section a for my daughter. Went out in hand last year to local and a couple of very large NPS shows and qualified for the summer champs at 3 counties. This year upping the anti to do leadrein and by golly that is far scarier!

If you are really worried, take a look at some of the photographer's sites to get an idea of what you are up against. Try Fred the Cat, Equinational, ES Photography - I found them really useful for giving tips on dress code etc.

Have fun!!

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Have you thought about trying Otley Show first? An agriculteral show like that would give you a taste of a bigger show (and if you are able to travel to Great Yorkshire it should be fairly handy). Then if all goes well aim at Great Yorkshire next year?