Showing classes with eggbar shoes ?

dorrisworris

Visit site
Hi i have a medium weight hunter that i wanted to do some local shows with this summer but he currently has eggbar shoes on with pads . Can i enter him or are these shoes not allowed ...does anyone know ?

Maclinda

Visit site
I do local shows (working hunter) in heartbars and it has never been commented on or affected my placing. ��

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hi i have a medium weight hunter that i wanted to do some local shows with this summer but he currently has eggbar shoes on with pads . Can i enter him or are these shoes not allowed ...does anyone know ?

As long as the horse is sound there is not a problem, at local level the classes won't be split by weight division, I think you mean middle rather than medium weight. Riding club or local level will have a novice class and an open, the horses will be a mixed bunch.

dorrisworris

Visit site
Hi thanks all ....yes he is sound he had some issues at the back end of last summer ...they said navicular but after he went for an mri it showed slight arthritis in his coffin bone joints and mild tendonitis of ddft he is a big lad (only 9 years old though ) and has low heel which contributed to this im sure so anyway he has been shod in eggbars and has a slight wedge pad on ...he is being reviewed by vets next week so hopefully we can get him out of the pads but he might need bar shoes leaving on just for the extra support !

mastermax

Visit site
Hi my big show hunter had heartbars on for 6 months last year for navicular. When he was sound and showing he went to local level in his heartbars and no one ever commented. We were hoping to do a BSPA qualifier and it stated in the rules as it does for most affliated shows that no corrective shoeing allowed. Luckily he is now in normal shoes and staying sound and well. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Check that the show isnt affiliated to any show as most societies ban any form of corrective shoeing

Makes me wonder what is considered as corrective shoeing, because my middleweight won best shod hunter at the final Royal Show with a pair of heel extensions on the back and it was those handmade shoes that won the class. We all know why big horses are shod with heel extensions.

This year at Hoys the best shod hunter went to another one of ours, a heavy with extensions on.

pennandh

Visit site
I have known quite a few horses do very well in corrective shoes at shows up to county level. Personally, I don't like seeing corrective shoeing on show horses because, in theory, if they were as well-conformed as they ought to be (considering that a primary purpose of showing is to select good bloodlines for breeding stock) then they really shouldn't need them.

Some judges seem to share my opinion on this and mark down for corrective shoes; others really don't seem to care. And then there has been at least one judge that put a particular horse of my acquaintance top of the line despite his feet being literally dropping to bits due to laminitis-induced horn issues (in fairness, said animal is a sweetheart and otherwise very nicely put together, but his feet have always been horrendous).

To be honest, as long as he's sound and mannerly I doubt you'll have too much issue with it - worst that'll happen is that the judge will drop you down the line a place or two on the assumption that there must be some underlying issue that justifies the shoeing choice, and even then they more usually only use shoeing to choose between two individuals of otherwise-similar quality.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I have known quite a few horses do very well in corrective shoes at shows up to county level. Personally, I don't like seeing corrective shoeing on show horses because, in theory, if they were as well-conformed as they ought to be (considering that a primary purpose of showing is to select good bloodlines for breeding stock) then they really shouldn't need them.

Some judges seem to share my opinion on this and mark down for corrective shoes; others really don't seem to care. And then there has been at least one judge that put a particular horse of my acquaintance top of the line despite his feet being literally dropping to bits due to laminitis-induced horn issues (in fairness, said animal is a sweetheart and otherwise very nicely put together, but his feet have always been horrendous).

To be honest, as long as he's sound and mannerly I doubt you'll have too much issue with it - worst that'll happen is that the judge will drop you down the line a place or two on the assumption that there must be some underlying issue that justifies the shoeing choice, and even then they more usually only use shoeing to choose between two individuals of otherwise-similar quality.

As somebody who used to judge a lot, I also would assume that there was a problem with soundness, otherwise why would the horse be wearing them? SHB(GB) told me that my event mare could not show under their rules with plastic shoes on. If I was judging and there were two horses of equal quality, I would put the one in conventional shoes above the one in heartbars.

conniegirl

Visit site

I have watched classes and even stewarded a class where competitors have been asked to leave the ring due to heartbar shoes or other remedial shoes.

bliss87

Visit site
Makes me wonder what is considered as corrective shoeing, because my middleweight won best shod hunter at the final Royal Show with a pair of heel extensions on the back and it was those handmade shoes that won the class. We all know why big horses are shod with heel extensions.

This year at Hoys the best shod hunter went to another one of ours, a heavy with extensions on.

I think it's more anything that covers the frog rather than extetensions as I think it's quite a common way of being shod; double toe clips on front feet is a technically correctional shoeing aswell and how may horses are shod that way now

conniegirl

Visit site
I think it's more anything that covers the frog rather than extetensions as I think it's quite a common way of being shod; double toe clips on front feet is a technically correctional shoeing aswell and how may horses are shod that way now

double toe clips on front feet is frowned upon by judges although you cannot be disqualified for it. It was brought up in the SFAS class at HOYs last year, one horse had double toe clips and the judges did say that they would worry that it had poor feet and it would be marked appropriately

AdorableAlice

Visit site
double toe clips on front feet is frowned upon by judges although you cannot be disqualified for it. It was brought up in the SFAS class at HOYs last year, one horse had double toe clips and the judges did say that they would worry that it had poor feet and it would be marked appropriately

It should be marked for what it was on the day. If the feet were in good order and a matching pair that is what the judge will see on the day.

conniegirl

Visit site
But where they in good order because of the double toe clip or despite them?
Poor feet is counted as a conformation problem do anything that hints there may be a problem will be marked accordingly

AdorableAlice

Visit site
(G) Shoeing
All Horses, if shod, must be shod in shoes that do not cover the frog; normal shaped open heeled plastic
stick-on shoes are permissible. No pads or surgical shoes are allowed; i.e. Bar shoes.

This is the rule on BSHA. Similar wording on Show hunter GB

I have shown hunters all over the country including RHIS and Hoys at championship level and have yet to see a class decided on quarter clips. Is it a new rule ?

My heavy had flattish fronts and needed plenty of heel support, he was top of his game 2000 to 2004 no comment was made and my middle was a prolific winner 2006 to 2010 he did not have the best of hoof quality although they were good conformationally and he wore heel extensions behind having had his hocks injected. The heavy is dead but the middle is now in his twenties and has super feet thanks to pro hoof and retirement.

Which shows and which judges have you seen a hunter demoted for quarter clips, I am keen to keep up with the rules.

conniegirl

Visit site
(G) Shoeing
All Horses, if shod, must be shod in shoes that do not cover the frog; normal shaped open heeled plastic
stick-on shoes are permissible. No pads or surgical shoes are allowed; i.e. Bar shoes.

I have shown hunters all over the country including RHIS and Hoys at championship level and have yet to see a class decided on quarter clips. Is it a new rule ?

My heavy had flattish fronts and needed plenty of heel support, he was top of his game 2000 to 2004 no comment was made and my middle was a prolific winner 2006 to 2010 he did not have the best of hoof quality although they were good conformationally and he wore heel extensions behind having had his hocks injected. The heavy is dead but the middle is now in his twenties and has super feet thanks to pro hoof and retirement.

Which shows and which judges have you seen a hunter demoted for quarter clips, I am keen to keep up with the rules.
SFAS final at HOYS a few years ago (I want to say 2013 but it may have been 2014)
I think it was Katie Jerram who was judging and she came out and said that a lot of judges will mark down for quarter clips and that she didn't like them at all since they indicated that there may be a problem

AdorableAlice

Visit site
SFAS final at HOYS a few years ago (I want to say 2013 but it may have been 2014)
I think it was Katie Jerram who was judging and she came out and said that a lot of judges will mark down for quarter clips and that she didn't like them at all since they indicated that there may be a problem

Thank you.
I have never been involved with SFAS.

I am all for good feet but there will always be horses with less than perfect feet and I bet Katie Jerram has a few in her yard.

conniegirl

Visit site
(G) Shoeing

Shoeing rule for shbgb (btw it is sports horse go not show hunter gb) is as below (rule 56h):

All Ridden Hunters must be shod all round. No pads or surgical shoes are allowed

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The Heavyweight hunter my daughter rides has no toe clips at all on the fronts during showing season.

I bet he floats along in his plates. No only racehorses that are plated ! the movement in show horses can be improved when they wear plates. It is something I did not do as the less nailing on my middle had to have the better, but I was lucky in that he moved well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I love that Ms Jerram thinks that side clips would indicate a problem but is anti showing without shoes :p, the ultimate indication there is no problem :p.