Showing clothes and rules for the tiny tot Rider

Charmel

Visit site
My Granddaughter is just two and is tiny. She has a lovely welsh x shetland pony. The pony is 10.2 and lw and dainty not chunky at all and they look adorable together. Millie is happy in walk and her trot is almost there. I want her to enter some local unaffiliated lead rein classes and novelty classes but not sure if she is allowed because of her age and also cannot find any show jackets or boots small enough. Checked local sites and ebay but nothing small enough....any ideas where I can get a show jacket that small and how old children have to be. I think my two were more like 4 when they started but this pony is a been there and done it type. Is black tack ok? pony is jet black.

PIC on My Profile is a few months ago.

Last edited:

Crackerz

Visit site
My Granddaughter is just two and is tiny. She has a lovely welsh x shetland pony. The pony is 10.2 and very lw and dainty not chunky at all and they look adorable together. Millie is happy in walk and her trot is almost there. I want her to enter some local unaffiliated lead rein classes and novelty classes but not sure if she is allowed because of her age and also cannot find any show jackets or boots small enough. Checked local sites and ebay but nothing small enough....any ideas where I can get a show jacket that small and how old children have to be. I think my two were more like 4 when they started but this pony is a been there and done it type. Is black tack ok? pony is jet black.

I run a local show and the age limit is 3 on our insurance. I think 3 is the age limit for leadreins anyway - although not my forte!

rowan666

Visit site
I've been to a few local shows that don't have age restrictions and the youngest ones always win the novelty classes even the ones that are too young to even understand where they are and are being held on both sides plus a leader! :D I would check in advance your local shows though as they obviously all vary, and as for show gear try on the leadrein and first ridden equipment page (on facebook)

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I know there was a jacket on NFED the other day. One of our local shows has had a tiny tot on a shetland. I'd contact the secretaries to clarify age.

Fiona

Visit site
My LO did his first LR class at a local show at 2... Insurance was never mentioned.

He didn't have a jacket until last year at 4.. Had a tiny red show waistcoat and shirt and tie..

Fiona

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think our RC has had tnies in showing classes in the past. The only way to find out is to speak to the Show Secretary. As for clothes, I expect that a pageboy suit for a wedding would be adaptable and they seem to come in very small sizes.

Limbo1

Visit site
I picked up a waistcoat and tie - wedding type from a charity shop for £2.50 recently. That sort of thing could do??

WelshD

Visit site
Check with the show regarding ages.
Also shows at higher levels usually take 1st jan as the age of the child for that full year so even if the little girl turns three this year it might still be a no-no and if she doesn't turn three till after 1st Jan next year she could be ruled out of shows for another year - I'm not sure about local shows so again worth a check

Try the Facebook groups:
Equipment for lead rein and first ridden
Show Gear for sale and wanted
Second hand showing equipment

And also the Internet forum 'Horse Gossip'

I've seen jackets for sale from 18 inches so tiny ones do exist but agree with some of those above that say a waistcoat may be easier and would be acceptable at local levels

Lanky Loll

Visit site
There are definitely some tiny jackets out there - my mum still has my LR outfit from way back when but don't think the hat is suitable these days :D
Have a look on some of the showing FB pages, I have a friend who's daughter has been showing from tiny and she kitted her out totally through there to start with.