Showing etiquette

equinelogic

Visit site
Hello
I’m really interested in the history and etiquette of showing and I have been trying to learn all I can but the books etc don’t cover the history and why we turn out, and ride etc in a set way I’d love to learn more about the little rituals and quirks involved could anyone recommend any books or websites please.

Thank you x

SilverLinings

Visit site
I have a large collection of old books about riding, horse care and veterinary science (from around 1600-1950), and haven't come across a text specifically about dress, but it is talked about in chapters in books about riding in general.

Horse showing as we know it has only been a relatively common spectacle since the early-mid 1800s, although before that there was judging of agricultural horses and some hunters and ponies. Prior to that horses appear to have been prized more on their performance than appearance so ploughing matches, races, endurance coaching trips etc were used to judge which horse was 'best'. Showing turnout has changed relatively little from around 1920 onwards.

Show ring attire and horse presentation was largely based on how it would look in the horse's 'day job', and for most ridden classes this meant hunting. Hunting attire was seen as smart and fit for the job in hand so that is what was worn in the showring: pale breeches, black/navy/tweed jacket, long leather boots, bowler/top hat then black/navy crash cap. The horse's turnout and tack followed the same principles. The development of uniformity also made it easier to judge the horses/riders as there was no distraction of dress or strange turnout.

Fashion and safety has had some impact since around 1940, with fewer women riding side saddle in the ring, women ceasing to wear veils with their hats, slimming of breeches when stretchy fabric was invented (no more 'elephant ears'!) and the wearing of modern riding hats.

If you look on ebay for books about riding dating from the second world war backwards you will be able to find out a bit more, but the origin of the turnout for ridden horses was the hunting field.

Did you have any specific questions, or queries about a specific item of clothing/tack etc?

abbijay

Visit site
I was recently given a book from the 1960s on presentation for the show ring. It doesn't say a lot of the whys but it does cover a lot of the whats.
I am a real geek and love finding this stuff out too. For example you must not wear black gloves because black gloves are a symbol of a lady in mourning and ladies in mourning should not be out competing their horses! I did find out about why tails on your hat should be sewn up unless you are a servant of a hunt but I'll be dammed if I can remember why, although I have sewn them up in my new hat.

humblepie

Visit site
May not be hugely historical but a show hack is the elegant type of horse to show off how stylish you were on Park Row or similar. A hunter hunted. A cob would have had a job perhaps the local doctor’s horse. The riding horse in the show ring is a relatively modern invention between the hack and the hunter. In hack classes as well as the judge riding the rider does an individual show to highlight their horse’s excellent training manners and style whereas in the other categories it is a ride judge only. I love that turn out is still traditional so a line up of horses and riders pretty much identically turned out.

equinelogic

Visit site
Thanks guys love your replies.
I remember being told you should never plait a mares tail this is to hide her dignity and that cane resting upright on the leg should only really be done by gentlemen as it was to help ladies I cannot remember what side etc I think it’s his right or off side to she can be helped up side saddle or down lol sorry that’s a bit mixed up 😁🤦🏼‍♀️

equinelogic

Visit site
I do get sad with pony turnout with Wilkies snaffles on fr and lr and whp with grackles martingale and strong bits or maybe I jealous as I had to ride in traditional tack the lady I rode for had it all made but no knee rolls and a flat seat 😬

humblepie

Visit site
Always jealous of male hack riders who can wear dress coat and tails in an evening performance whereas us girlies are stuck with a navy jacket.