Showing (foreign breed and iberian) help....!?!?!

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Hi

I have got an andalusian and this year I have got into doing some showing with him. He has not been backed long (late starter 6 yrs old) so I have only done in-hand this season. However want to start doing riding classes too.

I am loving it and he is doing really well. I really want to get more into it, but have no idea how to go about it!!

Is foriegn breed and iberian classes only at local level (I think that is the phrase!) as classes do not seem to be at HOYS or anything like that?? I'm confused. I have never shown before as show jumping was my thing so need some advice if anyone has any :D

Is it just a case of doing shows that have these classes and that is it? or can I become 'county level' with it or whatever its called??

Thank you :eek:

Ali16

Visit site
I groomed a couple of times for a old livery of mine who had a Lusitano and I am by no means an expert, so others on here feel free to correct me if I am wrong.. ;)

Very strange experience indeed!

This was two or so years ago and there was definately no 'affiliation' needed back then. We went to Four Winds for her very first show and then straight to Royal Windsor :eek:, again with a 6yo. From what I understood you could just enter what ever you liked as long as you had an Iberian horse (could be a cross breed - a coloured cob type won the Novice ridden Iberian class at Four Winds!).

What I would say about the ridden classes is just to be careful, especially if you go in the costume one (can't remember the technical name for it!) - I have never seen so many accidents in a showing class before! There is a lot of gallop-halt-gallop involved in a comparitively small arena.

Have fun though - we certainly did on those days out! Truely was an eye opener and made all us eventers look rather tame! :p

arizonahoney

Visit site
especially if you go in the costume one (can't remember the technical name for it!)

Traje de amazona... Well, that's the name of the costume anyway.

SirenaXVI on here does PRE showing, so maybe search on her name or PM her?

By the way, you know me, I think. I have a spotty pony that delights in digging holes :p

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
I too have an iberian and will be showing her next year.

BAPSH now do 2 shows a year: one Breed show and GBPRE a qualifier for SICCAB in Spain.
This year i attended as a spectator and that really helped. But if i was you, i would spend a bit of time on the BAPSH website as you can learn loads from there.

In the main you need to work out what you want to do, but there is loads to it and if you really get into it, you will need to do morphology (in hand) and functionality tests (ridden).

I aim to do it for a bit of fun on the side of our dressage and so will probably be looking at country classes of 'foreign breed' or 'iberian' as you say.

Natwood on here also shows and she has answered lots of my questions before!

Alibear

Visit site
BAPSH is your starting point, great bunch really friendly and helpful. They do guides to what you should wear and do for showing etc. You can wear British dress which is basically dressage kit or Spanish dress.
As well as the two BAPSH shows, there's Royal Windsor, Royal London, the Lusitano show has classes for Andalusians as well. There's a few Spanish shows as equestrian centres too over the year that cater for all.
A lot of the shows are listed on the BAPSH site as they're keen to get you out and about showing off the breed.
At local level you can enter the foreign breed classes which are a real mixed bag but good fun if you can cope with the odd day where the judge has no idea what your horse is!
Some county shows have Spanish classes sometimes split to Andalusian and Lusitano as well.
If the riding goes well you can also do working equitation too.
The BAPSH also do performance awards which add up points one doing any sort of competition from dressage to eventing etc.
As fas as I know there's no route to HOYS for them ... yet.

Last edited:

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Ali16
Yes I have seen some pictures of those costume classes and they bomb it around. I will stay clear of those I think! my horse used to proper true bolt, so I would feel worried if I had to bomb it around!!! :eek:

Do you know any other venues? I didnt know about Four Winds (not on BAPSH website) and that is close to me so thanks for that.

arizonahoney
Ahhhh Clara!!! hello. I'm loving this H&H forum, it is so fab and everyone is so helpful.

Thanks I will pop her a message.....when I find out how to do that!

Also, I have a list of shows in 2012 I will be booking C for. So shall I detail them to you and PM you through FBK to see if you want to share transport too? as there will be classes for your spotty boy :eek:

luckyhorseshoe
Thanks for that. Where is the breed show? is that at Pachesham (Iberian Festival)? if so, we did that one and came 5th :D it was our first show, I had no idea what I was doing!!

I saw about the GBPRE show. Can you just enter that? or do you have to qualify for it? I did think about going to that this year, but understand it was a posh one with spanish judges, so thought I better do a few more first before I embaress myself (and the horse haha!).

Where on the BAPSH website does it give you showing info? I could not find that. I did post message ages ago but nobody answered! I'm not a member yet, but horse is registered with them.

What on earth is the morphology (in hand) and functionality tests (ridden)??? isnt showing.....showing? isnt that like a dressage test? part of dressage. I have read about that on a schedule but had no idea what is was! I would love to do all that. I have been told my PRE is a good one so would love to get into that.

Alibear
haha I had that is a foreign breed class, judge said "ermmmm oh isnt he stunning....is it a spanish thing" haha. We won the class though so I wont compain :D

What do you mean by county show? what is difference between county and local? (like windor show being county show is it, because it is a big show?). Sorry, I have no idea doh :confused:

What is working equitation? gosh I am sorry :confused:

How did you find out about the performance awards BAPSH do? I don't see any info on their website about that. Is it member only access maybe? I am not member but horse is registered with them.

Thanks all :eek:

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
The breed show was at Hartbury (not sure i spelt that right) and they had dressage, showing classes and the Pre classes.

In Spain showing is different to the UK, therefore when you show a Spanish horse under Spanish rules you do it differently. I'm still new to this too so I will try to explain but the morphology requires you to run your horse up and the horse is awarded points according to their confirmation and their paces. Spanish horses are run up differently to the UK so i would watch a class if you can. The functionality

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
Opps half my post has gone!

The functionality is like a dressage test but points are awarded differently.

This year was the 1st GBPRE and there was no qualification, although i would recommend that you get clued up before you go.

There is a bit on their website where they advertise events, shows and clinics.

Alibear

Visit site
You need to be a member of BAPSH to do the performance thing, they send you a card to get filled in at each event you do I think. If you become a member than you see the showing guides too I think.
County show = pretty much that so we have The Royal Norfolk show and the Suffolk show, big agricultural shows that do showing classes as well. Quite good for getting them used to Atmosphere.
Working Equitation, ah well You Tube Videos could be your best friend there, a bit like handy pony but for proper grown ups on horses and is an art form in itself.
Full Spanish classes come in two parts.
Morphology is on movement , confirmation and breed type. This is done in hand.
Functionality is basically a dressage test.
You have to qualify with a high enough % in the Morphology to go forwards to the Functionality.
So far I've only seen the above classes at the breed shows.

Ridden Spanish classes at other shows are more like traditional showing classes so you all do the walk and trot round as a group, sometime canter. Then line up and do your individual shows. Then walk round as a group again and get called in. Ridden classes are done both in Spanish and English Tack, often stated on the Schedule. Ridden English Tack for Spanish Classes tends to be dressage gear.

Parade Classes are the ones where everyone goes in full Spanish tack and show off all their horses tricks.

Have you learnt the whislte yet? Thats my over riding memory of my first BAPSH , the fact the spectators would whislte along with you if your horse started to play up , such a supportive bunch.

arizonahoney

Visit site
I think working equitation is the same as doma vaquera? Beautiful to watch...and somewhere between haute dressage and handy pony ;)

Yes, do PM me on the shows... C had mentioned about it last time we went out and I'm game. I'm also coming to your yard for the winter series dressage :D

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Thanks luckyhorseshoe! yes I think I will watch that show next year so I can understand it. Maybe just concentrate on the easier less techical ones haha!! ;)

Thanks Alibear, yes the spanish classes I have done already were just like traditional showing....so that was easy enough I guess.

The whistle??? urghhhh? what do you mean. My one is easy on the ground, he is like a dog on a lead. However, very different being ridden I might add. Sensitive/spooky/tense you name it.....part of the breed I suppose.

Clara - when you coming to yard? will pop over and say hi :) Angela is meeting me there tomo for dog walk (and I'm walking horse in hand cos of his leg!).

Anyone know correct show jacket colour for showing? I did wear a tweed jacket but was told that was only for working hunters.....doh! so wore my black dressage jacket last time. However, I think tweed one was much smarter personally!! it was grey and matched the horse lol :D

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Spanish showing is a little different to 'normal' showing in that there are two parts, the morphology (conformation) part and functionality (ridden) part. In the morphology you have to show your horse on a circle, ie, you do 4 circles in canter and then extend the trot to the other end of the arena, you then stand the horse up for the judge and he studies the conformation, everything is marked and you get a sheet showing the judges marks after the competition. The functionality is like a dressage test with halts at the beginning and the end, you have to do set movements just like a dressage test but it is marked differently, again you get a sheet with the judges marks at the end of the class.

You can show inhand in either full spanish dress OR dressage dress, ie navy/black jacket (most wear navy), cream/white breeches, dressage topper or hat, gloves and long black boots with a cream stock and stock pin, most people also wear light coloured gloves.

TBH you would only really show like the above in specific spanish classes, if you show in foreign classes it is more like a normal class, this also goes for the ridden classes where you would just show walk, trot and canter.

The GBPRE show was an International Show and a qualifier for the Spanish Champs at SICAB. The show was run under ANCCE rules and there were strict criteria for entry. There were also very strict rules on exhibitor's dress so would have been daunting for a first show, the Breed Show would be a much better place to start.

The Breed Champs are held at Hartpury and there are the traditional spanish classes (morphology/functionality) but there are also dressage, ridden (just like UK ridden classes) and jumping classes, you dont have to qualify to enter these. There is also a Parade class which is the one people are probably referring to as a free for all, it is supposed to mimic the atmosphere of a Feria and can indeed get quite exciting. All of these classes can be ridden in either full spanish (a minefield btw!) or dressage dress, however, for the parade most people wear spanish.

Hope this helps :D

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Hi Again,

Just read the post and theres been lots of helpfull informative replies from Sirena and luckyhorse so dont think can add much tbh but will have a go. As they said def have a look at the BAPSH site, theres a section for shows and clinics although at this time of year there wont be any and next years prob arent advertised until around easter.
Dont know what area your in but im in the south and have taken Kirico to the Alton show, Chertsey, Dorset Charity show, Romsey and The New Forest Show, as well as last years breed show at hartpury which is a must for pre owners whether your into showing or not and such a learning curve. Would also definatly reccomend the new forest show if you can get down here in july every year, as others said pre's arent at HOYS yet so for big crowds and atmosphere Nfs is about as good as you can get!
I show Kirico in spanish gear and although its certainly more fun getting dressed up in the traditional parade classes, i did it in english dress last year and you dont get marked down on it as long as rules state english or traditional dress, just showing up in what youd wear for a dressage comp is fineand plenty of people do. I cant say ive experienced people galloping around madly at competitions, doing screeching halts etc, and as the judges are looking for well schooled and well mannered horses as in all ridden showing i think youd be fairly safe, although start small and local until you know how he'll be, our first show was a little tack and turnout at a kiddies gymkana type thing. Just start out slowly, there were a couple of newcomers at romsey show this year, and although is was very windy and spooky they had a fab time and the horses behaved beautifully for them, more than could be said for us as kirico's usual halo had well and truly slipped and been replaced by devils horns instead!
The inhand stuff can get a bit hairier as it is different from normal inhand, you effectively lunge them for a circle then run up alongside in a straight line which when its done well produces an amazing extravagent extension and wows the judges. It can get a bit explosive and causes some to get over exubrent and prat around. To be fair though hes never done anything more than have a buck, leap and fart, which as long as you keep your distance from everyone else and know you can keep hold of him doesnt pose a problem. But of course its what your comfortable with until you get to know him and what he'll do in the ring, it takes a lot of practice to get the run up right especially in the excitement at a show and may be easier just to trot up the engligh way to start with. Plenty of people do anyway tbh as there horses get so excited otherwise, and if you cant get them to trot for more than half a stride you cant get marked and potentially wont place as well.
Hope this helps, just realied how much waffle ive writted, lol. Best thing to do is probably get him out to a few local dressage comps over the winter, as there wont be any showing shows now until at least april. I think the first one in the south is four winds or a little show at new park would be perfect to start him off with, otherwise something Like NFS or romsey you could blow his brains the first time as theres just so much to see and distract them. Although saying that you may find he suprises you and takes it all in his stride tbh, in the ridden classes i find kirico more laid back than he is at home, hes been known to turn into a beach donkey and even fall asleep in line ups before!
Good luck with him and most importantly have fun, theyre smart little buggers but pick up thing so easily and really love to learn and please there owners so are very rewarding to work with.
Pm me if you need any more advice though, im far from an expert but will always try to help where i can. Natxx

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Just to add all my siggy pics are traditional dress at New Forest Show, except the middle is in English tack at New Park. There are loads of links to photos on Bapsh where you can see what other poeple wear aswell, as there are 2 main styles but quite a few variations you can get an idea at least.

templewood

Visit site
The Lusitano Show also has classes for PRE's. Details will be on their website. It's usually at Hartpury, but was at Keysoe this year. They're a very friendly bunch too. Also Hertfordshire County. The bigger shows usually have a better standard of judging, so don't get disheartened if you don't do well at small local shows!

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
thanks SirenaXVI, very helpful. You mentioned there is a strict criteria for entry. Just out of interest what sort of rules? wouldnt he just have to be registered with BAPSH and that is it?

The morphology/functionality sounds great, would be really interesting to see how my horse would do. Would be nice to know what he scores for certain elements I think. Can you enter just the morphology? or do you have to do both? if so, I assume they are broken up into 2 classes?

thanks Natwood, again very helpful. Yes I have been watching the show section on BAPSH website. They don't seem to have all listed though.

Yes I am in the south as well, in Sussex. So all those shows would be good for me yay :)

I have taken him to shows and just done in hand with him (as he has only just been backed so was too soon to ride him out). He really surprised me, was so laid back and quiet. However, I know he would be more lively if I rode as he is at home. He is better hacking and in fields than riding in school so I think he will be fine. But will leave the big county shows for now, unless they do in hand classes do you know?

I so agree, I LOVE the breed so much. He is the best horse I have ever owned. I used to do BSJA and gone from warmbloods & ISH to this and would NEVER go back. He is so sweet, cuddly and such a mummy's boy! they're quite 1 person horses arent they? I kind of rescued him so we have a good bond now. Although we had bad news few weeks back, he was slightly off-ish in hind on and off (only minor) and vet thinks after nerve blocking he has done his suspensory ligament :( :( :( so just awating ultrasouns scan now, having that this Tuesday.

Thank you Templewood have added to my list :)

Glayva

Visit site
ive done a few very basic foreign breed classes, not specific spanish horses, just anything that isnt british!! One of them was with the Blue Chip festival of champions, (not sure if they still have that) another was at local riding centre show. You have to dig about for them though but you can get very basic classes that are good for first outings.

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
No probs, i know the BAPSH site doesnt always list them all, there are quite a few though in your area so once you get going to a few youll find plenty to go to. I started off just googling horse show foreign breed classes which was actually suprisingly helpful!
All the ones i listed that i go to have an in hand class as well as a ridden so dont worry there, you rarely get just a single class as it wouldnt be worth the diesel money for a lot of people.
Once you start at the bigger shows youll have a fair bit of choice though, shows like royal windsor and NFS often have more than 2 classes and of course the breed show theres just about every different type of class you could think of, as well as BD dressage if thats of interest also.

Natxx

Herts05

Visit site
Just to say that Doma Vacquera and Working Equitation are two totally different things

Go on You Tube and you will see the difference clearly.

In addition to all the good advice you have had here, why don't you contact a PRE or Luso stud near you (you will get details from the BAPSH or Luso Society Website) and speak to them as most of them take part in the shows

Also, if you do Facebook, there is a BAPSH group on there which is much more active than their own website.

Hope you do more than showing with your PRE. They are such all round horses. Mine does dressage, pops 1m 10 jumps now and again, has done working equitation, sponsored rides and hacking.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
thanks SirenaXVI, very helpful. You mentioned there is a strict criteria for entry. Just out of interest what sort of rules? wouldnt he just have to be registered with BAPSH and that is it?

The morphology/functionality sounds great, would be really interesting to see how my horse would do. Would be nice to know what he scores for certain elements I think. Can you enter just the morphology? or do you have to do both? if so, I assume they are broken up into 2 classes?

thanks Natwood, again very helpful. Yes I have been watching the show section on BAPSH website. They don't seem to have all listed though.

Yes I am in the south as well, in Sussex. So all those shows would be good for me yay :)

I have taken him to shows and just done in hand with him (as he has only just been backed so was too soon to ride him out). He really surprised me, was so laid back and quiet. However, I know he would be more lively if I rode as he is at home. He is better hacking and in fields than riding in school so I think he will be fine. But will leave the big county shows for now, unless they do in hand classes do you know?

I so agree, I LOVE the breed so much. He is the best horse I have ever owned. I used to do BSJA and gone from warmbloods & ISH to this and would NEVER go back. He is so sweet, cuddly and such a mummy's boy! they're quite 1 person horses arent they? I kind of rescued him so we have a good bond now. Although we had bad news few weeks back, he was slightly off-ish in hind on and off (only minor) and vet thinks after nerve blocking he has done his suspensory ligament :( :( :( so just awating ultrasouns scan now, having that this Tuesday.

Thank you Templewood have added to my list :)

No prob SpanishNeddy am glad you found it useful:D

The criteria for the GBPRE Show was more stringent than the Breed Champs, it was much more in line with ANCCE (the Spanish governing body) rules, for instance, mares in my section had to have had 3 foals or have produced a foal in the last 3 years, I know there were criteria for the other classes as well but off the top of my head I do not know what it was for stallions etc.

You cannot do just the functionality part of the test, you have to do the morphology and only go through to the functionality if your horse gets enough points in the morphology (I hope that makes sense :eek: )

At the Breed Champs however, there are normal ridden classes as well as the breed Inhand classes, there are normal ridden classes for Stallions, Mares and Geldings (separated out), there are also classes for part breds etc which include English style Inhand and Ridden, there really is something for everyone, well worth a visit :)

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Thank you Glayva :)

Thanks Natwood :) yes I actually bought him to do BD, so def interested in that too. I think I will take him to the next big shows but maybe just do the in hand and see how he goes. He will be fine in hand, it will be when I get on he will be more difficult :rolleyes:
Do you also do BD with Kirico?

Thanks Herts05 what is the name of BAPSH on facebook, I tried to search BAPSH and for it in the non abbreviated term and it is not coming up! :( yes I do hacking with him and BD as well. I don't really jump anymore, used to do BSJA but had BE accident so keep away from jumping now haha. Might eventually do some small stuff with him....he has got a big jump on him :D will do sponsored rides on him too. Funny really as he is amazing on hacks and more spooky in the school !!

SirenaXVI ah right interesting. Sounds fun!! think i will stick to breed champs next year then and go watch the GBPRE show, sounds fun :D

All - I have now added pics to my profile thingy, would you mind having a look and telling me what is wrong with my dress code for him and me?? that would be great. I see from some pics you have yours in serreta's, do you have to do that? I have my one in english in hand bridle? eeeek, anyway you can see from my pics. See I told you I had no idea what I was doing when I took him to shows :eek: but we did well and even one a few PRE classes :D

Sam xx

Herts05

Visit site
Spanish Neddy - the Facebook Group is just called BAPSH.
Try contacting St Pirans Stud Rachel Bettens on facebook and go through that way.
Have fun

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
Just looked at your piccies - he looks lovely.

I'll leave it to the others to comment on all the gear but i wll say that looking at him, i think your going to have alot of fun with him. I like!!

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Just seen your pics and wow, hes a real stunner no wonder your so smitten with him! I havent done any BD with Kiks yet but thats only because i dont have my own transport and its so expensive getting out to shows round here, am relocating in the next couple of months to a yard that does unaff dressage though so hopefully that will get us out a bit more:)
With regards to the tack im not an expert but have managed to blag my way through a couple of parade classes and done quite well, be warned its expensive though. The correct saddle alone (good quality not some middle eastern cheapo version) will set you back from £800 upwards, then youve got the bridle, breastplate, crupper, saddle cloth and drape,all of which add up and your looking at quite a few hundred and thats just to kit the horse out before youve started on yourself! Theres a\lady called Kim Warren whos details you can get on the BAPSH site that will be able to tell you everything you need to know and exact costs etc, shes done very well on her stallion Infante so you cant get more knowledgable than her.
I do use a serreta on kirico as it is technically correct in spanish classes and i find it easier to handle him in that than a bridle, and prefer it as although it can be severe he respects it and if he does prat around it avoids touching his mouth.
Tbh though apart from at the BAPSH show and GBPRE (have to check the rules but i think you need a serreta for both of them) your not going to get marked down for doing it in what your wearing in the pics. Same rules apply as when doing the ridden in english tack, noones going to mind its whatever you feel comfortable and your horse goes best in, as at the end of the day all that matters is showing him off to his best possible ability.
And besides, with all those rossies it certainly doesnt look like your struggling in any way:D

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Herts05 - have now found them on facebook. My iPhone didnt show it, but manage to find it on laptop.

Thanks all - he is a good boy :)

Natwood - ditto, I have no transport either! my friend is a transported (Ideal Horse Transport) so she helps me out. If you are near me (sussex) we should share travel :) :) as we will be going to the same shows!! that is good you are moving to a yard that does that, my yard does unaf DR too. Although he has only done 1 class because of his lameness issue. Wow that is so expensive isnt it!!!! blimey, I need to find a nice DR saddle first. Currently using a Kieffer Lech Profi dressage saddle........but want something with knee rolls and deep seat! (he is so sharp I need some assistance!). Thanks, he did so well at those shows bless him. He is easy peasy to handle so I wont bother with serreta then if I dont have to.

I have just had bad news today. Vet confirmed he has done his suspensory ligament in right hind. Not good :(
So currently considering treatment. Prob going to do equidronate (Tildren) as petrified of him having surgery to cut his nerves!!!

:( :( :( :(

RobinHood

Visit site
Pachesham EC in Surrey runs the Festival of the Iberian Horse in June every year. It's unaffiliated but with panel judges and a wide range of classes.

Alibear

Visit site
I hope your boy comes sound again soon. Was Tildren suggested by your vet? Thats a new suspensory treatment I haven't heard of before, I've seen success with shockwave, steroid injections, rest and also the operation.
So just to say there's a lot of options available and there good success rates for many of them.
Good luck look forwards to seeing you out and about next year.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Sorry to read about his suspensory SN, if it is any consolation Sirena did a front one earlier this year, she had shockwave and cartrophen injections weekly for a month and then box rested for another month - she is now back in full work, albeit six months later.

As for saddles, I would highly recommend the Bates Isabel, I had enormous trouble getting a saddle for my big mare and this one was one of the few that actually fit her, it also feels like an armchair to ride in and has an interchangeable gullet. I managed to get one that was flock and not Cair as I don't like air in the saddle, but they are like rocking horse manure! It is possible to get the synthetic version without Cair but the new leather version only comes with Cair :(

Your boy looks lovely and I will keep everything crossed that he makes a full recovery.